5th Metatarsal Open Fracture Post Op Questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I broke my 5th Metatarsal on June 19th causing an open fracture.  I did have surgery on June 29th to have a steel plate inserted at the fracture.  SO, I am 6 weeks post surgery.  Has anyone had this surgery, and have had any complications?  I still have numbness and tingling at night, and have pain in the arch of my foot.  I am hoping to get the ok to go back to work soon, however, worried about driving due to this happened on my Right Foot?  Are there any specific sneakers that are good for this type of injury as I am a Unit Clerk at a local hospital and need to wear sneakers.  Any recommendations or suggestions would be wonderful!! smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I did have a screw put in so was NWB for 4 weeks then in walking ortho shoe for another 4 then good to get back on my horse. I also broke my right foot but did drive in the ortho boot. You will be fine because they usually heal well  with surgery.  I did not have a displaced fracture though
  • Posted

wishes for speedy recovery!!

My dr recommend me hard insoles or Shoes only bends on the top of the foot (toes) & km wearing a ankle brace for support now .

It’s a little long process😐

I got a baby foot 😐small , skinny , no arch , no muscle , weak , stiff  , sweats a lot after wearing the boot ( 10 weeks NWB and 3 weeks WB 😖All my foot hurts 

My ankle , arch , my big toe is killing me but my DR can’t find any thing internal .

😉 good luck 🍀 

• Posted

Numbness and tingling are quite normal and can be present for several months after mid-foot/toe surgery.  I have had three rounds of surgery and know!  I had all my surgeries on my right foot - and I tried driving recently (last surgery was November last year) and my foot was quite sore afterwards as I hadn't driven for about 10 months.  Find yourself a good pair of sneakers - I still wear mine most of the time.  I find other shoes aggravate my foot as it still swells up, but your foot will let you know if you are overdoing it.  I have worn heels once recently and first time.  I coped okay but next day foot was tender.  I think as long as you don't have to drive far, you should be okay.  I now have about 4 plates and 24 screws in my foot so it is taking longer than normal.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.