5th surgery on the same knee and things are looking up!

Posted , 5 users are following.

After 5 surgeries due to: installing a PKR - cleaning out 2 infections and replacing a PKR with a spacer, PICC line antibiotics (twice) and having to operate to remove a staple that migrated to the back of the knee, I have to say that things are looking very, very good for a change, for my wife. We had a top notch team of two doctors doing the operation with 50 years of combined practice in knee/hip surgery.

Previous surgeries always seemed to have constant drainage and slow wound healing/closure. But after her latest surgery on Monday of this week, she is remarkably strong, NOT in any pain and has darn near full mobility, I would say, to guess, 0 degrees to 100 degrees after 4 days. Walking around with a walker (sometimes not). has NO drainage and redness or major swelling like before.

Been following the exercises and Chico Marx's detailed instructions and I think they are really helping (thanks Chico - say: "Hi to your brothers".)

After reading some postings of patients with problems, I was really pleased to see Anne's progress. Hopefully everything will be fine going forward; Anne's really "paid-her-dues" and deserves some finality to a year-and-a-half of setbacks.

We love to travel and haven't since last October, 2017, so we are starting to think about heading out again in the spring.

Will try to post as she gets better and better!

I'm posting this positive info so people thinking about whether or not to get the TKR will be encouraged and not dread the decision because of perceived problems. Of course it should only be attempted when all else fails and immobility/ pain are severe.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

How great to hear that your wife is finally not in pain. The pain must have been horrible.

I had a left PKR in Sept 2015 and a revision (tibal tray was too big) in Feb 2016. In May of this year, I started feeling more pain than usual (I have NEVER NOT BEEN IN SOME LEVEL OF PAIN since my first surgery).

I went to a NEW Ortho doc in Oct and found that my tibal tray is loose! Doc told me that I need a TKR. OMGosh, I was so angry and devastated to think I need to go thru this again! (Your POOR wife Robert!)

I got a second opinion (along with a bone scan w/ radio active stuff ?) to confirm 1st Docs finding and yep, tray is loose. I am scheduled for my TKR Dec 19th. I know that it will be painful, I know I will HATE the rehab, the pills, not being able to poop and for having to put my hubbie through this AGAIN! (He's a great coach).

I have not gone through what your wife has, and I look forward to hearing about her continued recovery and where you both will travel.

Happy Holidays....

• Posted

Thanks for the good wishes, Deb.

I've never heard of a tibia tray being loose but, then again, I never heard of a staple migrating to the back of a knee either.

I only hope you come out of your TKR as well as Anne is doing. And, I'm sure you will!

I'm thinking that most of the time, when they go in to redo and fix the original problem and give you a new joint that it's like starting over with all problems solved.

And if you were in that much pain from day one, it sure sounds like something went wrong that they can now fix.

Just stay positive and think of your upcoming, new knee like trading an old VW bug for a new Ferrari; it's going to be terrific!

Let me know how it went and I'll be thinking positive thoughts also!

• Posted

Great news for your wife and you! After hearing your story i feel fortunate. Ten months after bilateral tkr i still have some discomfort in one of my knees, but getting better It is a long process I hope you get back to your travels

• Posted

Good to hear, I really think surgeons vary a lot more than people think in their competence!

• Posted

Yes, as I said, she had two surgeons working as a team and about 40 to 50 years experience between them. I think that really makes a difference.

• Posted

It's been over a week now (post TKR) and Anne is still doing well. Has almost full mobility. No pain and is walking around carefully.

There is some swelling but hopefully that will go down somewhat. I'm sure it will never look like the other knee with so many surgeries and scar tissue.

A tiny bit of leakage. 1st appt, with the surgeon this Friday. Should be interesting to hear what he has to say.

I have a theory that that she's had so many operations on that knee that there are no nerve endings left to trigger a pain sensation but I'm half joking.

Holding my breath.......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.