5th Week of Prozac - side effects still - any encouragement appreciated

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I'm on my 5th week of Prozac.  After an otherwise healthy and happy 51 years of life, I had a heart stent (lucky to cathc it) and then had gastric issues and Barrett's syndrome dianosed.  I guess it wore on me more than I knew beacause I started to develop headaches, leg weakness, dizziness, massive fatigue, wanting to sleep forever,. etc. and my doctor diagnosed that as physical symptoms of depression and put me on prozac.  More side effects of fatigue, etc. - the normal story on Prozac.  Starting my 5th week yesterday and while I have noticed a less downtrodded mood, no more crying, and seeing better days in my grasp, these side effects are brutal and really take me down a couple of notches.  Usually sleep okay, but had my worst night ever last night of sweats, racing heart, headache, clamyness, etc.  Normally it's just headaches and dizziness.  By far the worst so far - I'm hanging in there but it's really hard.  I don't have panic attacks, etc., it's just these very hard physical symptoms - anyone been through this and come out on the other side - would appreciate the encouragement.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am on week 5 too . Lots of Provent but still up and down . I suffer from panic attacks not had on for a while now . Suffering still with sleeping and fatigue especially in mid afternoon . Lost a bit of weight too .i feel the need to keep busy but that is the anxiety . These symptoms have heightened since taking these tablets .been told after 6 weeks there will be an improvement .
    • Posted

Hoping it gets better too. Seems like it's always the next week when things are supposed to be better.

• Posted

i am at 10mg , 5 weeks feel the same, hope it improves
    • Posted

Thank u x I'm sure it will . I was on fluxoetine for 4 years before ( I used to forget to take it the last 6 months ) started back on

• Posted

Thanks, I do, too.  Good luck.  I keep being told will get through it and to hang on - so I'm pushing through on faith.

• Posted

I am on my 15th week and have been on 40mg for 6 of those weeks ish. I feel great now.. so clear headed. I still have vivid dreams but all side effects have gone. I did have them again when I increased but not as bad as when I first started out. They will kick in properly.. trust me. I took ibuprofen 200mg when I felt really really horrible and that seemed to help me.
    • Posted

Thanks. What kind of side effects did you have to get through?
    • Posted

The usual.. feeling extra anxious.. headaches.. brain zaps.. vivid dreams.. being wide awake then being extra tired.. upset tummy. But it does go away.. it just feels like it never will at that time!
    • Posted

Thanks for your encoouragement - it really does help.  Seems like I'm always wiating for next week.

• Posted

Apparantly proper spelling is also a side effect...sorry about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.