5weeks post op failed bilateral bunionectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi There I'm from Cape Town and had a bilateral bunionectomy on the 5the December 2016 making it my 5weeks post op.

I'm so depressed as my feet appears I still have bunions when my cast were removed at 11days post op I was expecting straight swollen feet but instead I had bunion swollen feet the orthopaedic doctor assured me it was only swelling well its almost 4weeks after and the bunions are very much visible. Straight after surgery my surgeon said to me my feet are now straight but I'm almost sure he was lying.

I haven't had much instructions from him but I've been laying and elevating most of the 5weeks as the orthopaedic shoes I got are way to uncomfortable to walk in. They put me off balance and the one shoe is way smaller than the other.

My skin is now peeling and the incision area is quite red and painfully not sure why. My experience has been really depressing as my bones have been broken, shaved and fixated with screws but for what? I still have them bunions and did I mention this was my second surgery.

I have my next check up on Thursday 12Th January they will be doing an x.ray not even looking forward to this.

I hope most of you have straight feet and are recovering well it just takes time, so take it easy

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

So sorry it didn't take. I had surgery on October 3 and a second but be on October 27. The fusion didn't take the first time so Dr has to do again. Then he added some contraption to keep everything in place. Had foot in splint and soft cast for 12 weeks. When it was taken off my foot looked terrible. Heal and bottom of the foot was peeling, had blister sores in the heal from it rubbing. Am now out for 2 1/2 weeks and still trying to walk. I take baby steps about 10 at a time with scooter and cane for support. It's crazy. Can't put shoe on yet due to swelling.

I wish u the best and feel free to talk. You'll need a good support system with some one who understands.

• Posted

Thank you Sylvia indeed I do need support. I only started walking a few days ago in my crocs and with crutches on the sides of my feet so I will keep everyone posted about my x.ray on Thursday. Goodluck to all
    • Posted

Awesome.. I have my follow up tomorrow. I am afraid they r going to fuss at me because I'm not further along.. oh well!!

• Posted

I'm having problem with 1st foot I had done 10/11/16 .My toe is leaning back over towards my hammer toe.He told me to wear a spacer so I am.It took me about 10 weeks to feel trulyl comfortable in my tennis shoe.Praying I don't ever have to do this again !I will be so happy when it's over.I too highly recommend this surgery.even with the problems I'm having at least I can put on a shoe and walk Excited to get my life back and get back to work.As for skin peeling mine did too.If you take alittle brush after soaking it and scrub it all comes off.

• Posted

Hi. Don't panic yet. 5 weeks is no time in recovery. Left foot done a year ago it took 6 months for it to look ok. I thought I had been left with a bunion still. Right foot  4 months ago I have still a bump which looks like a bunion which is gutting!, but no pain so I'm just grateful they both work and walk pain free. Don't panic yet. It takes 6mnths to a year for your feet to settle. 

• Posted

I would be very concerned. You should not have a bump on the side of your foot at all after the surgery.  Mine is flat even with all of the swelling etc. I would also be concerned about infection from what your incision sounds like. You may have a good doctor, but bring up your questions and don't back down. Don't be intimidated. These are your feet and you only get 2 of them. 

• Posted

Hi there yes my feet still looks the same as it did before surgery after they removed my cast at 11days post op I ask the doctor why my feet appeared as though I still have bunions he told me it's just swelling. Anyway its 4weeks since that appointment my feet doesn't have much swelling I can fit into all my shoes and my bumps still hang over the sides of my shoes as they did before. Let's hear what they have to say at x

Ray All the pictures I've seen this far everyone has swollen straight feet not swollen bumpy feet. I'm glad your surgery was successful and your feet are straight I would give anything for that.

• Posted

Best of luck to you chesry!  Kuddos for double bunionectomy!! 

I had L one Jan 5th. Iniatially wanted both done but not recommeneded. 

Take good care and hope MD appt goes well! Ask a LOT of quesitons...make a list! 

Good luck and heal well! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Thank you jenny best of luck to you to trust me I had lots of questions before now I have even more. I'm really glad I joined this discussion.

• Posted

Thank you and you as well! 

We both have doctor's appts this Thursday.  Let us pray for good healhty xrays and results and continued progress and recovery! 

Best to you as well!  Stay in touch!  

• Posted

I'm just wondering if it's a normal part of recovery my big toes don't touch the ground. :-|

• Posted

Hi Chesry,

I am unsure as I am 1 week post-op. 

I would check with your doctor. 

Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery! 

• Posted

Hi there I'm wondering how you appointment went. Well mine was not so good. We'll they have shaved off as much of the bone as they could as Ive had this surgery before hence everything I have been explained at my appointment yesterday non of it was told to me before my surgery.

So if I want my feet completely straight I would have to have surgery again to straighten my big toe and all my other toes because I'd be left with a huge gap between my big toe and second toe. I don't even know how to explain I'm so furious before surgery my surgeon told me he could correct my feet. After surgery he told me my feet were straight and oh dear my before xray looks way better than after. So maybe someone out there can agree with me he did it for the money. The orthopaedic Dr who assisted me is arranging for to meet with my surgeon.

Other than that my feet are heeling well 2 more weeks no weight bearing.

• Posted

Hi again. He said my big toe would go flat once I'm allowed to bear weight on my feet. I wish you the best of everything and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that news...in your recovery.

It is best you speak to a doctor and/or get a second opinion.  

Or maybe you can reach out to others on here who had a double. 

They may have some good recommendations. 

Best of luck to you & take care

• Posted

Hi Chesry. What country do you live in. I'm UK. My surgeon told me that these days doctors don't do shaving as it doesn't work only surgeons who are private so it possibly just for the money. We are NHS free but only severe bunions get operated on these days. Don't give in and complain if you are not happy with the results. Because I got done for free I can't complain as I am grateful for what I got. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Fiona I'm from Cape Town South Africa. My operation was not from a private hospital it was from a government hospital although I still have to pay.

Yes I'm definitely going to take further steps if I can't sue atleast I would like myself to be heard and to let other patients be aware of what I've gone through.

Thank you Fiona I even have screws in my feet I'm not sure why.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.