6 days after partial knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 5 days out after surgery and still in a lot of pain.  A bit discouraged because the dr told my husband after surgery that it was just a partial and recovery should be a piece of cake.  Now I'm reading that recovery is not much different between total and partial?  Starting formal PT today, have been icing, resting and using the bending machine at home along with pain meds but feel like such a baby after my husband says "but the dr said"

As far as I can tell it was still a pretty big surgery so at least part of my pity party is warranted.

Would love to hear from others going thru this

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ellen,

?Go tell your hubby and surgeon to go hug a tree together - neither have any idea what they are talking about !

?Look, you HAVE BEEN BUTCHERED ......... END OF! JUST BUTCHERED!

?My hospital/surgical policy was a 90 degree bend or better by day three, or not to be discharged from hospital until it was achieved. I had no normal PT but was told to do prescribed exercises 5 to 6 times a day at home and after each exercise, rest, elevate and ice.

?Ooooh ! they love the bending machines don't they ........ just helps with the bend, not much else. You gotta strengthen the lower leg and upper leg, You gotta work on preventing scar tissue from forming. You gotta keep up continuous pain relief otherwise you won't be able to do your exercises. Thing is I tried using pain relief like a pill in the pocket, like took pain killers when I needed them -WRONG ! You gotta take them as it says on the paper in the packet, if you can't control the pain you ain't gonna get the straight leg or the required bend.

You gotta aim for 0 flexion and around 130 to 135 degree bend, else you won't walk properly. 

?Go onto youTube and type in search box exercises following partial knee replacement, and if your hubby has the stomach for it do a search for knee replacement surgery and have a look at the full procedure on video.

?This isn't a race against time - take all the time you need and remember we all heal at different rates. I had a partial knee replacement (right knee, medial compartment) in Nov 2015. I took my time, did my exercises, got my massage therapist to work on knee to strengthen it, massage the incision line to stop scar tissue forming and stayed on my crutches will week 8 when surgeon gave me the OK to leave the crutches and drive my car again. Back at work driving a bus at 11 weeks.

Hope it goes well ...........may the force be with you.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.