6 Days on low dose and scared for withdrawal depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sincerely hoping someone that understands this drug can answer my cry for help.

I started 50mg Pregabalin on Friday 21st Dec twice daily. I felt very dizzy over the weekend, but not manageable. By the Monday I was in bed all day. Could not move without vomiting. Room was spinning, head fog etc. This continued until the Thursday, although I had got out of bed a few times. I then stopped (without taper), although I had reduced to one dose of 25mg that day.

On the Friday, I had the worse case of depression and suicidal thinking imaginable. Fortunately, the next day was better. By Monday, the physical effects had almost gone, but ever since (now 11 days) I have been left with an overwhelming low mood. It is like I can no longer remember how to be happy. Nothing brings me pleasure whatsoever. I have a cloud of depression over me 24/7 and nothing will shift it. I am so scared that the Pregabalin has done something to me.

I am also on a cross-taper between Cymbalta and going over to Lexapro, which I know won't be helping, but I have never had symptoms like this that are so persistent. I have usually felt better in the evenings, but I am just not getting a break.

Please.... any help would be really appreciated.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi matts4912

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi Matts

I understand your deep concerns about this drug but over the years I have done a great deal of research on its side effects and withdrawals. As you only took it for 6 days at 100mg and no longer 1) I think you were highly sensitive to it and 2) it takes one full week to start changing the brain chemistry after which no-one should go cold turkey. It is unusual to put a new patient on 100mg, usually starts at 25mg x 2 daily. Your explanation of the side effects seems in my opinion to show a great sensitivity to it and I am happy that you stopped when you did. Whatever you are experiencing now seems to be residual side effects which I believe will lessen and go in a while. Pregabalin only has a half life, ie 6/5 hours before it is completely out of your system (18 or so hours after your last dose). It perhaps triggered some deep seated feelings and emotions and if you read the leaflet there is a warning on there about suicidal urges. Some patients do not do well at all on this drug and common sense told you that you were one of them. If these urges remain I beg you to see your GP or talk to someone about them, as you have here.

You are also on 2 other hard hitting drugs and perhaps this has caused some problems as well. Cymbalta is notoriously difficult to taper from (as is Pregabalin) and Lepraxo also. Try to talk all of this out with your Doctor and see if there is any extra non-medical support he can offer to you to help you through what is a very difficult time in your life. There are some help and support groups on Fb that you may find sharing with others in the same boat of value. I do hope that you start to feel much better soon.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I was hopong you would respond as I have read a lot of your posts to previous questions and you do seem to know a lot of what everyone is going through.

I am glad that you felt I was highly sensitive and I was concerned that being so would mean that the default 7 days to change the brain chemistry could turn to 6 days? But I do not know well enough. Oddly enough I have woken today to a very strong sense of anxiety. It is horrific to feel this far out of control.

I am aware that the Cymbalta has hit hard - as soon as I stopped it, the anxisety and stress I felt was the worst I have ever experienced. It has slowly got better, but today seems like a relapse and is the flip side of the depression coin. True enough, my anxiety did abate substantially while I was on the Pregabalin and for the last two weeks whilst off it, so of course I am worried that I am now back to where I was. Would be nice if the anxiety would keep at bay.

I have just joined the FB group you spoke of in previous posts, and for this mention, and your support here, I thank you very much.

Matt

• Posted

hi matt . 100 mg is a significant amount . your body can become dependant in less than a week . on our website lyrica survivors ( pregablin support) members have had withdrawals after 3 days .. elizabeth was a member in our group for a long time and had learnt from the best . drs know nothing of its withdrawals and will taper much to fast .. i noticed your on cymbata also ? there is the cymbalta hurts worse group on fb ..

• Posted

Hi tracey - thanks for your message - I have since joined both groups on FB and are a very kind bunch. I did think it was withdrawal, regardless of it being 6 days. I think I am over the worst, but I still have frequent dysphoric moments during the day which is difficult, but not nearly as bad as it was. Just hope the last of it go soon...

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I was hoping you would respond as I have read a lot of your posts to previous questions and you do seem to know a lot of what everyone is going through.

I am glad that you felt I was highly sensitive and I was concerned that being so would mean that the default 7 days to change the brain chemistry could turn to 6 days? But I do not know well enough. Oddly enough I have woken today to a very strong sense of anxiety. It is horrific to feel this far out of control.

I am aware that the Cymbalta has hit hard - as soon as I stopped it, the anxiety and stress I felt was the worst I have ever experienced. It has slowly got better, but today seems like a relapse and is the flip side of the depression coin. True enough, my anxiety did abate substantially while I was on the Pregabalin and for the last two weeks whilst off it, so of course I am worried that I am now back to where I was. Would be nice if the anxiety would keep at bay.

I have just joined the FB group you spoke of in previous posts, and for this mention, and your support here, I thank you very much.

Matt

• Posted

As you say Matt, Cymbalta is as hard, if not harder after being on it for a while, to get off as Pregabalin. We go through so much trying to get help for our various issues and I so wish Doctors would go through all the known side effects/withdrawals before telling us to take them. I guess they just don't have the time but I have the will and the time to try and warn patients before they get caught up as I did with Pregabalin. I think and hope that over the next few months the withdrawals get less and less for you. The group you have joined will be of great support to you I am sure, although I am no longer a member myself preferring the 'Prevention' angle rather than long term cure. Cymbalta is very often mentioned in the group as many members seem to have been caught up in both drugs and there is a group Cymbalta hurts worse that you can also join. I was never on this so you need to check this out for yourself.

It is pleasing that you feel helped by my posts and if ever you wish to chat by Pm I will always answer to the best of my ability. Thank you for your kind comments.

• Posted

Thank again Elizabeth, and I agree with the prevention method just like you. This is why I am only taking Lexapro and nothing else, as I was not stable - I was coming off Cymbalta as it gave me horrible side effects (no surprise!). I have found out the hard way that more pills just compound the problem.

I was doing well on withdrawal from the Cymbalta as I am a member of a very good forum who guided me through the bead counting method. I was down to 10mg when the p-doc came along and told me to just stop. I refused as I had done so well in balancing out as I went, but he took the rest of my pills - can you believe it?! I spent the next 4 weeks begging for them back. But no. So I went cold turkey for that last important part, which I was told is the worst thing you can do - and boy, were they right!!!

Many thanks for invite to chat, and may do for opinion. Whilst I understand the science, I don't have the knowledge of experience. We should all be so grateful to have each other in times of need.

God Bless.

Matt

• Posted

It is my pleasure Matt and my offer to chat stands. As you grow in knowledge and experience I am sure you will share both. Doctors rely on the FDA (US) and NICE (UK) for guidance on the efficacy of drugs but in the case of Pregabalin (and I think 4 or 5 other drugs) I'm afraid the Trials were falsified by Dr Scott Reuben for which he served only 6 months prison time. Yet the FDA did not pull it off the market. Nor did NICE after this was publicised. This is why we must become our own advocates as much as possible. I am so sorry that Cymbalta was withdrawn from you at such a delicate time in your taper - so unnecessary when you were so well acquainted with the need to achieve this slowly allowing the body to adjust. You are a warrior and I wish you blessings and healings as you walk the road ahead.

Liz

• Posted

That news about Dr Reuben shocked me... I had to Google and have a read. Six months is by no means justice for what he did. It is like the lawsuit of 14,000 who won against Eli Lilly that swiftly got covered up. What a world be live in.

So difficult to let time pass with these symptoms, but we have no choice, and I really appreciate your kind words. Thanks again, Liz.

• Posted

Hi Matts4912

I was prescibed Pregabalin a couple of years back to help me deal with Opiate withdrawal, it did help but before I knew it I was dependant on pregabalin also and my docs kept prescibing me 300mg x 2 a day.

I have finally got down to 25mg x 2 a day and no longer get that WD feeling if I am late with a dose or when I wake up in the morning. I used to get the WD feeling until about 100mg x 2 a day. Once I dropped to 50mg x 2 a day I noticed some WD also but not as sever as before and they only lasted a couple of days before I stabilised.

It is my last week of the pregabalin taper and i cant wait to stop taking them, I hate them. I really think I have got through this now. I think pregablin at high doses causes very severe WD's (like Opiates & benzos combined) But at low doses I dont think its too bad tbh but I suppose everyone is different.

Im still on opiates (relapse after relapse) but am looking at going on ORT very very soon (I hope) as they have ruined my life.

Trent

• Posted

Hi Trent - first off, well done for getting this far. That must have taken some amazing will power and determination on your part. I am unfortunately, one of those people who have a severe reaction to just about anything. I came off Cymbalta 10 weeks ago, after only being on it for 8 weeks. I am still suffering - although improved, I am far from what I should be. Thankfully, I think the withdrawal from the Pregabalin has come to an end, but it was for sure those that caused the depression - no question. I have since found a number of others who have had similar experiences, so it is documented. Plus the fact that the data from the drug trials were falsified. It goes deep....

Wishing you well,

Matt

• Posted

Hi Matt

Good to hear that your withdrawals are on the wane and I hope the future looks brighter for you now. I also hope you are getting some help other than Pregabalin now and you are able to get the Anxiety under control. I wish for the day when patients research fully, as you did with Pregabalin, and not go on these heavy drugs at all. Cymbalta seems to be as bad and as difficult to stop. I read the other day that Sweet Fennel is good for anxiety, but how to take it and in what amounts I do not yet know. Might be worth reading up on.

Best wishes

Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your message. Things have indeed been better since last post. But am still battling the Cymbalta withdrawal. Currently fatigue from overstimulation. Too much adrenaline going around in my system which is causing anxiety symptoms - very difficult to ignore. Hoping it will pass soon.

I also decided to try iron supplement to help with the above 2 days ago, but after the first dose... goodness me. Anxiety went off the chart! Apparently this is a side effect of ferrous sulfate... wish I'd known!!

Hope you are well 😃

Matt

• Posted

Oh dear Matt, if it is not one thing it is another my friend. Cymbalta seems to be as bad if not more difficult than Pregabalin to taper off - all that bead counting and awful withdrawal symptoms etc. I am sorry that you are still suffering. Ferrous Sulphate does not mix well with many medications and has to be taken 2 hours before or after certain things. That's enough to put my head in a spin to start with! I know Doctors don't like us researching through Google, but until they realise they have a Duty of Care to explain ALL known side effects to patients before starting us on a new medication we simply have no choice. You are Captain of your own ship Matt...enough said!

I use Mindfulness now to bring myself down to a manageable level, enough to fight the over stimulation etc. Anxiety is a tough cookie to beat but there is Hope. So many drugs today actually cause Anxiety and Depression and then we are given more drugs to combat those side effects. It seems never ending but it is not - with strong will and courage we can counteract these effects ourselves. You are doing very well I think and it is good to know that things are getting better for you, albeit slowly. Well done.

Best Wishes

Liz

• Posted

Thanks Liz - yes, there always seems like there is something to deal with. I know for sure that the Cymbalta has been the culprit of most of these problems. When I switched to it, I was around 75% "normal" - I just wanted that last bit of assistance - cymbalta seemed to do its job mood wise for the few weeks I was on it, but I had horrible physical symptoms which required me to come off. Since then... well, you know.

I like your "Captain of your own ship". Absolutely. Wish I had been more proactive in making my own decisions over the last 12 months. But now, it is all me. No more drugs whatsoever. I am not convinced the Lexapro is working either now. I am trying a combo of ashwaghandha and suntheanine to help stabalise the depression and anxiety. Will see how this goes. The problem is, when the symptoms pop out of thin air, it is going to keep you trapped in this state. I need control back like I did before I stopped the Cymbalta. But I know this can take time. 10 weeks since that point and counting... sigh....

Thanks for you continued support Liz. It is great to know people understand what we have to go through...

Matt

• Posted

Hi Matt

I currently have a friend who is now tapering off Lexpraxo having finished her taper off Pregabalin last year. She is suffering similar withdrawals all over again and I think she was once on Cymbalta as well. How on earth anyone is supposed to sort between genuine withdrawals and worsening anxiety/depression I do not know. It certainly takes courage and persistence Matt to get off one of these drugs let along three, and now you have more understanding of the ill effects these drugs produce you have found that courage. It is a long road and can get particularly lonely at times when others do not understand which is why I will always try to be of ongoing support where I can. If you think the Lepraxo is not helping you at all perhaps you do need to taper this too. I will see how my friend is going and see if I can gain any advice or helpful suggestions for you on this. In the meantime take care of yourself as best you can, eat well and exercise, which will enable you to sleep better allowing healing.

Best regards

Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz.. again for today!

Your friend sounds like she is going through exactly what I have. According the sources, withdrawal itself can bring on symptoms of PTSD - as you probably know. But as you say, there is no knowing which of the drug is causing my current issues - whether it is the Lexapro making things worse, or if it is still the Cymbalta withdrawal. It is all very well to throw some more pills at it, but this could just compound the problem further. Knowing my luck this would probably be the case!!

I honestly think that the Lexapro isn't going to help either. I would like nothing more than to become pill free, but after 14 years on Citalopram, I do worry what could have happened up there in my brainium. Even if 11 of those years I had no need for the drug, but the doctor kept me on it...

I am taking as much care of myself as possible, and eat well but exercise is a problem because of my adrenaline issues. I can barely make it down from the third floor to the car and back!

Matt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.