6 days post op. I know it's early but looking for some hope

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. Surgery was 2/3/2015. I more than realized that I'm VERY early into recovery, I'm just looking for some hope to hang onto. Stomach feels raw and achy, and so nauseous. The main reason I did this surgery was because of nausea when I ate fats. Now I'm nauseous just living. Only 7 months post Autotransplant of my left kidney which resulted in losing 10 lbs. I have lost 2 additional pounds since last Friday. At a mere 94lbs. Weak and scared. Please tell me this nausea and belly aching are temporary and will improve. I am eating ZERO fats just like the last 7 months. At least before this surgery as long as I stayed away from Fats I was ok. Now I'm just miserable 24/7. At what point should I expect this to all level out.

Heather.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I experienced nausea as well but usually in the morning and generally if I didn't eat.

You should eat and you should eat some fats. Give that bile something to work on.

• Posted

Hi Heather

Hang in there .

My daughter is day 12 & she was being sick & terrible pain, she had a infection and had antibiotics but also she has gone on a Free From diet & yesterday & today are her first days not having to go to A&E.

Your all incredibly brave dealing with it all as it is a horrible time.

They have told us sometimes the body doesn't realise that the bad gallbladder has gone so it takes time for it to all settle back down.

We go day at a time, but 11 & 1th day are the first bearable days so far I do think all the free from has really helped.

Hang in you will get there a lot of healing on the inside to go yet c

• Posted

Hi Heather!

I was JUST thinking about you again yesterday, thinking I would try to find our old communication and see how surgery went, and decided to click onto New Discussion on my email amidst the many of those I have not opened lately - there are no "accidents":-)

Anyway, sounds like you are feeling like I felt, if you remember - have you taken any high end pain pills? Those can throw off nausea etc.- - Has doctor given you anything for nausea, like Zofran or equiv.?  I did not really see a true milestone in turnaround in how I felt until day 10 - you aren't quite there yet, and remember we all heal differently.  Do you have anyone there to help you at all? Trying to do too much too soon can also throw htings off.  Just TRY a little (few grams) of fat and see how it feels - like even 2-3 in a meal or snack and see what happens - you might be able to handle it, as another poster here said.  Worst that happens is you feel the same.  It will be impossible as you know to put any weight back on for a little while until you can get some higer calorie foods in you - how about Grape Nuts with 1% milk?  High calorie, a little bit of fat but not a lot - that is what I started with, and still eat today for breakfast - please keep in touch with me and write as often as you want-

still praying for you;-)

Jonna

• Posted

Hi Jonna smile

No pain meds. I have a lot of food sensitivities and gluten is one of them so grapenuts is a no for me along with a lot of other foods. Soy is another ingredient that I cannot tolerate and sadly it's hidden in most foods here in US. I am eating, as much as I can with each meal. I have 5 small meals a day. Wasn't really nauseous until today but the belly ache and raw feeling had been since surgery. I will try maybe adding a 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil to my meals and see how I do. I also have gasteropareiss which i am sure is not helping. Still wondering how I went from the picture of health 3 years ago at 43 to this walking nightmare at 46 .... thanks for responding you all are fab!!!!! Praying my corner will come

Soon!!! I'll take the prayers, thank you!!!

• Posted

I totally understand what you are saying Heather - sorry about the gluten thing - sounds like the coconut oil is good idea - you know best the foods you can tolerate.

I, too once upon a time was also in the same shape until about 3 years ago also - used to be able to run, bike, eat anything (once upon a time even ran a marathon!!) - that all changed so drastically as I developed both the gall bladder issues and also something called interstital cystitis (ulcerated bladder) within the past three years.  So, between having to avoid fatty foods as my gall bladder suregry did not work well for me(as you know), and avoid ALL acidic foods, to avoid the IC pain w/o heavy meds, there is SO little I can eat - thus the weight loss - and can no longer do any of those activities.  So, even though our ages may be a little different, and situation (I am 52) I DO understand what you are talking about.  I am just so sorry for the year you have had.  I guess for me it has come down to trying to find joy in the little things, that so often before when things were going so well for me I just let pass me by - a long walk, or getting up early to listen to the birds sing, or planting some flowers, or befiredning perhaps a lonely elderly person - that kind of thing.  It has helped me realize there are still things I CAN do, and to try to focus on others who might have it worse.  These are just small ideas that helped me - maybe they will encourage you in some small way, too.

I will keep in touch with you and see how things go for you - you are the one person I feel I really connected with during my time recently contributing and asking Q's on this site:-).

With a hug and prayers -

Jonna

• Posted

Jonna I have IC too... so I totally understand. I deal with so many things, kind of embarsssing to list. We have so much unfortunate things in common...
    • Posted

How is today feeling for you?  Any better?  That is incredible you also suffer from IC!  You would be surprised how many women suffer from this in the uSA - and I am meeting more of them all the time.  My  heakthcare professionals tell me they are seeing so much more of this in recent years.  How is that doing for you since your gall baldder issues and pain?

I know you might not feel up to writing but looking forward to hearing again from you when you can-

Take care-

Jonna

• Posted

Hi Jonna. I've had a big time flare, actually not sure if it's a flare or UTI. Had labs drawn yesterday, so flooding myself with water. Hcull70 at this thing called yahoo. I still have significant right sided pain too. It's like my transplanted kidney is angry along with the space between new incisions. Praying it all still left over trapped gas... thanks so much for checking on me!!!

Have a good day

• Posted

Ugh - this is NOT what you need:-(  You have so much on your plate - I truly am just so very sorry:-(  I drink 8 ox. of water pretty much every hour and a half during the day to help with the iC pain.  But you would know best if this is acceptable with your kidney issue so I wouldn't want to tell you to do anything that might react differently with you.  What do you normally do for the iC?  I have to live on the IC diet, basically, plus very low fat from no GB thrown in.  I am glad that you are getting bloodwork done - maybe this will tell you something -I really hurt for quite awhile where the gall bladder was removed - my husband healed so much quicker than I did with that:-(.

LMK when you hear back from the labs.

Oh, I also just found out (as I was new to this site less than a month ago!)  we can message each other off the boards if you prefer (not to your personal email, but just off the general boards, since we may keep talking awhile yet:-), past your original post/question, and others may lose interest in our comments:-)!)  Looks like you just click onto the letter icon right on upper left corner of this response.

Hope your day goes better-

Jonna

• Posted

In my experience Gall bladder removed Dec 16 , It is all part and parcel of the recovery.

I struggled with nausea before and after.. then one day my friend gave me ginger tea, it was absolutley gross, but 15 mins after it went away. So i carried on drinking it everytime i felt sick and chamomile tea too.

After 3 weeks i started to feel much better and back to work but , it took another Few weeks to feel normal again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.