6 days post op on fractured ankle and leg

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am two days home from hospital non weight bearing using crutches

Leg and ankle feels swollen in caste what is normal and when should I worry

Any help be great feeling very anxious

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, as long as toes look a good colour, it is normal for some swelling.

try to keep leg elevated when resting, this help with swelling. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Gill it's all so new and out of my experience

One day at a time

• Posted

I was like you for 6 weeks with a cast up to knee height. I didn't manage crutches so you are doing well.  I used a wheelchair and then used crutches after the cast was removed a month ago when I was allowed to put a small amount of weight on the injured ankle. I can now walk unaided around the house but need pain killers to exercise the muscles and ligaments correctly.

Initially the leg hurt in the cast because of the swelling and the toes were swollen too but they need to be exercised regularly and should not be blue in colour.  After a few weeks in the morning I could feel my ankle move in the cast presumably because the swelling was less after being elevated on pillows all night. I never put any weight on the leg and that has paid off because the ankle has healed well.

Don't be anxious because the swelling is normal and the best treatment is to keep the leg raised above hip level and I was told not to have it on the floor for more than 1 hour a day intermmitently.

It is very tedious non weight bearing for 6 weeks but it has paid off for me now and I hope you can give your injury the same treatment. 

• Posted

Thank you so much Beryl for your reassuring reply this quite some experience isn't ?

A lesson in patience and acceptance

• Posted

Hello Mary, I am so sorry you are going through this. Swelling is completely normal and will be for quite some time. Elevating it as much as possible is the only way to keep swelling down. Feeling anxious is normal. How many bones did you break? Surgery?
  • Posted

its normal and be positive. i am on ending 7 week. some time my foot is swollen and some time is not. keep leg elevated and dry and twist your toes every time when you feel pain. i pray 4 u . god bless u dear and good luck keep searching more info just like me
  • Posted

Hello mary. I am already in 6 months after my orif ankle surgery. Don't worry your gonna be alright. Just do what is asked you to do and you'll be fine. It's a long battle but don't give up. It's gonna be hard but you can do it.
  • Posted

I broke by tibia and fibula feb 1st just above my ankle.  had surgery that week and had plates and screws put in.  About 3 weeks ago I had the staples and stitches removed and got a boot.  The only instructions were to keep wiggling my toes and if i wanted to sleep with the boot off that was ok (no thanks!).  Tomorrow i have another fracture checkup - i can move my toes just fine and have a little forward and back movement in my ankle, pretty much no side to side.  Are they going to move my ankle?  I am terrified of the pain!  I can feel I guess its the tendons in my foot at each side, I'm just not sure if this is normal or not having never broken anything before in my life!

Thanks!

• Posted

They will probably do an XRay to check the healing. Can't say if they will move your ankle, I have been in a cast for 8 weeks. I wish you luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.