6 days postop trimalleolar surgery! Pain is unbearable!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I got my trimalleolar surgery on August 15th and had a follow up appointment today! They wanted to take out stitches but it was too early! They resplint my ankle at 90 degrees and the pain was unbelieveable! Nursing my ankle...hoping for better days ahead. Just in pain here 😢?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Take those pain meds, yes the pain can be out of this world! I went from a splint to a cast 14 days after surgery. I remember the 90 degrees, I was swearing at them, I had no clue before going in they were going to do that. I was sooo angry mainly because the guy who did casts just walked in the room and pushed my foot and ankle without warning. Five days seems fast to take stitches out, mine were also removed at that appointment, 14 days. This is a long process, sometimes it feels like you will never get pain relief, but you'll get there! I'm at 21 weeks, pain still exists and I'm still swollen, but compared to the beginning, this is much better! Good luck, take those pain pills when needed.

• Posted

Exactly I didn't know they were going to do that...totally unprepared by it and I screamed and cried the top of my lungs. They were not sympathetic. I wanted to punch his lights out! I get my cast next week yay least it's a step forward not back! Just resting my foot and elevating it. Safe healing and well wishes to you as well! Thanks

• Posted

Warning, they are going to do it again, the 90 degrees. At least this time you are preparing mentally! My guy too, I can't even say on here what I thought of him because they would just block my post. It's like they do so many patients a day they are kind of like whatever, lets get this done. Happy healing, yes cast is one step forward in the right direction!

• Posted

Ice several times a day and elevate as high as you can. I recall the pain and swelling early on after surgery and each time i got a new cast. It will get better. Hang in there, rest, take pain reliever. This may sound silly, but I googled foods to aid in bone growth and anti inflammatory. I changed my whole diet while healing.

Be patient, best of luck to you.

• Posted

If they were not particularly considerate when splinting your ankle and you feel they contributed to the pain, ask them to be as gentle as possible as last time it hurt a lot. They need to know and also to improve their people skills!!! Take strong pain meds before your next appointment. I an 5 months post ankle fusion at 90 degree angle. Ankles are slow healers so be prepared. Good luck x
    • Posted

I know in my case I had no clue they were going to walk in and do that! I ended up switching surgeons after surgery, he was nuts and his staff were not nice at all. I've been followed by a new surgeon since 4 weeks post op back in May and they were very considerate when changing my cast. I totally agree, take a pain med before the cast change appointments, helped me. 

• Posted

I know that is why I do not look forward to my next appointment, which is next Thursday. :-(
    • Posted

Try not to worry. Take analgaesia. Ask them to be careful and you are also pre warned. Also 2nd time may not be as bad.. fingers crossed xx
    • Posted

I know. I would have been okay if they just told me what they were doing. I hope to have a better experience next time. Thanks for the warning!
  • Posted

Wow!! Can't believe they did that!!

I had the same thing!! Broke my ankle in two different places. It was pretty mess up!! Two plates and 18 screws.

My Doctor was different!! Two weeks after the surgery. They took the stitches out stitches out and put on a cast. Put two casts on and got my airboot two weeks ago. Fixing to start physical therapy. I Googled physical therapy for a broken ankle you can do it in your bed without putting weight on your heel it's very easy one of them have you one foot on a bed for your big toe write out the alphabets I did it three times just don't overdo it and if while you be doing it without any pain. I'm such in a hurry to get back walking again I told him if I could put weight on it he told me it's too early you don't want me to reinjure it you told me if I lose them plates I would have to this all over again. I know you're anxious to get back at your normal life as we all are. Yes you do need your pain pills just watch out for the medication he only gave me Hydrocodone 10 mg I didn't want them other zombie pills I'll call them. I'm halfway there my doctor told me I can go back to work in the end of October!!!! In I'm so so glad!!😀😀. This is all most over!!! I prayed and prayed and prayed!!! Just hang in there it cannot get worse just do what the doctor tells you to do and listen to your body they will tell you you overdoing it like I said Google the physical therapy at home so you can do God bless!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!😁😀😄

• Posted

Take your pain meds on a routine basis until you get on top of pain and then wean down to take as soon as you feel pain begin. Also, take something ab 30 min before you go to your next appointment. We have to be our own advocates. Ask when he comes in the room what he plans to do. 
  • Posted

Hi, I had the same op on 2nd June. It’s a long road ahead, I had awful pain for 6 weeks. Now, 12 weeks later, I’m in physio, I’ve a pain in my heal of all places that won’t let me weight beat at all. It’s getting me down. I’m 48 so maybe not healing as well as a younger person!! I’ve just started a course of HGH, human growth hormone, hoping this will quicken the repair process. I wish you well over the coming weeks and months. It will get better, not daily, it’s a weekly thing. You’ll notice improvements slowly but each one fills you with a little hope. Take care.
    • Posted

Yeah I have pain daily trying to keep my spirits up! Kind of hard to do sometimes. I seem stuck in one place going anywhere is time consuming. I have yet to get my cast too and don't look forward going back to the doctor's for that. Good luck on your end and thanks for the advice. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.