6 days smoke free HELL. Any advice.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had to stop smoking 6 days ago, due to a chest cold, that turned into a very nasty chest infection. In 36 years I have never had a infection like it.

I didn't want to quit but it made sense, I have now reached 6 days cold turkey. And it's hell, I do not have cravings that come and go they are there permanently I also cannot sleep, I was even with my chest infection sleeping 8-9 hours straight, now I'm barely getting 3 hours without waking up sweating and then I'm up, I can't exist on 3 hours I'm tired so cranky I'm craving so cranky, I'm just so miserable. I'm not in a position where I can rest in the day, I have a very active job I'm on my feet for 8 hours at least and then come home to sort family meals etc, I'm at the point where I'm ready to go and buy a box of cigarettes, and give up.

But I am thinking I have got this far so continue, I had promised my husband that I would stop come new year and had planned with a work colleague to do it together. But I have stopped early and I have never felt so tired when I had two newborns I felt better, (I didn't smoke during pregnancy found it easy not to this however is hard)

Please any help or advice grateful as I'm struggling.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, please please stick with it, you are doing amazing even though it may not feel like it, I was taking champix and for the first 19 days I thought I was going to collapse with exhaustion, the dr explained to me that it's not you that wants a ciggie, it's the receptors in your brain, the more you starve them of nicotine the less powerful they become until they become dormant, and you have won, your doing fabulous it will pass you will feel better in fact your gunna feel a quitter, x

• Posted

Hi well done for taking that first huge step to being an X smoker, yea its hard but you have obviously been smoking s number of years so you knew it would be an over night quit, cold turkey is the best way to go, you quit once and that's it, no having to quit again when you decide to stop whatever crutch you chose to help you get off the very addictive nicotine, he's always difficult to part with, he was so good to you, he made you smell disgusting, he has put your lungs and heart at risk and he had made you so dependant on him he had become more nescassary to you than your family. Now you have ousted him from your life you will soon feel so much better, its like loving someone who you know is bad for you, leaving them is not easy and first of you need to go through the mourning process which is what you are describing, soon it will be over and you will know that this is your best choice.

Use the mantra NOPE not one Puff ever, because that one puff is all it takes to put Mr Nicodemon back into your life and you don't want that, do you??? If you do then there is absolutely nothing anyone can say to stop you smoking again, but I think if your here asking for support it means you truly want to quit so we are all here to back you up and tell u how great it is to be quit

• Posted

Wow, I feel your pain. The good news is you havent smoked for 6 days, and keep on like this and your smoking days could be behind you forever. The first week is the worst, the next few weeks wont be easy, but I promise, get through this and you will be free. No money money down the drain, bad breath, smelly clothes etc. No more wondering where you can grab a sneaky fag, you wont be a slave to it. I admire the fact you went cold turkey. But before you reach for the fags, think about seeing your gp as there are things that they can offer to see you through this awful time. Use patches, e cigs, champix, etc. All of which help keep you off the weed itself. You are 80% of the way there. If you smoke again you put yourself back at square one. We are all here to help you get through this, use us! Moan away as much as you want to. We understand! I stopped 3 years ago and even now, every day, I think its the best thing I ever did for myself. The benefits are enormous, especially for your long term health. Think about reading A Carrs easy way book, or some other motivational tool. Wishing you strength and willpower, and most of all, success. Whatver happens, keep in touch and let us know how you get on xx
  • Posted

Way to go girl. You have started this painful yet incredible journey of quitting one of the worst addiction on the planet. Keep going and you will be alright!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.