6 Month Check Up

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I might expect at 6 mos check up? I know he is going to do another x-ray but I am fretful he is going to bend my knee to get a measurement. I still need to do warm up heel slides to get a good deeper bend. I am hoping he doesn't do that type of thing! It's exhausting just thinking about it. I walk a lot now and I am trying to do other exercises too. Physical therapy stopped last month and I really don't want to go back if it can be avoided. I sincerely felt there is nothing they were doing for me that I can't continue on my own. I feel more relaxed as well not having the anxiety of measuring bend as they were super keen on that even over being straight which is better but still needs a little improvement. Any experiences you've had might be helpful. 

Thanks! smile

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have a two hour drive to see my surgeon. Siting that long my knee is stiff by the time I get there, so while waiting I do heel slides and leg lifts to warm up my knee. By the time I see the doctor, I am able to bend and extend. But I have also learned to speak up and in the early recovery appointments  I put my hands near my knee and said it's stiff, I'll raise and bend it as I can but please do not touch it. I learned to speak up after my first PT pushed on my kneecap and set my recovery back 6-8 weeks! 

We have to be our own advocate. Best wishes for continued healing.

• Posted

In 5 complete rehab I've never had a surgeon bend my leg. The PT sends him the numbers and he makes observations from there along with the results of the Xrays.

• Posted

Hi robin. At RPA in Sydney my surgeon always checked my bend. Just so they know it's recovering well. Of course you can say you are uncomfortable about it or let them do their job and remind them it's an issue for you. No use getting stressed about something that's necessary. They need to satisfy themselves that the joint is functioning well and it's as good as it can be. After two years, next month my knees are about as good as they were prior to arthritis. Balance is an issue but the hard work and effort persisting with range of movement does pays off. Good luck. x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I really don’t want to bend if possible there I am doing it on my own I think ok. I hope he just checks it structurally lol 😝 

• Posted

At six months, expect a lot of "Hmmmmmm"s and "Ahhhhhh"s accompanied by bending, twisting, measuring and walking down a hallway.  If your ROM is at or close to 0 / +120, you'll never see him again...well, maybe at 1 year but that's not necessary.

Here's some more ROM work at home plus your exercise program to regain all the strength in your dead quads, glutes and core so you can again climb stairs normally (alternating legs up and down without holding onto anything)...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

Start planning your one-year anniversary party.  Guaranteed...if you do the work, life will look a whole lot different in six more months.  STAY STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Waiting now to have X-ray . I don’t want measurement done I have to warm up on that so I hope he won’t do that 😬 I am doing well obviously still need to improve but I don’t want him really bothering me lol I hope I will get thru this lol

• Posted

Warm up before you go.  He'll probably measure it anyway.  At the very least, he'll lay you down to see if the back of your knee touches the table (zero degrees).  He may even push on it a bit if it doesn't and then give you an estimate in degrees.  This is all normal...expect it.  Do the home ROM work in my link above...it will definitely help.  PS:  It's OK if your knee is not "perfect"...it all comes in time IF you keep doing the work.  DO NOT beat yourself up!!!!!  Just do the work and keep improving.  This is YOUR life...YOUR recovery...YOU control it, not the doc.

• Posted

Thank you Chico! He had me straighten leg in air could see not completely straight yet. Said that last little bit can be the toughest to get down. Then he pushe knee back a bit wishes there was no pain and a little further bend but  said all is good just gonna take me a little longer. Recommended still bike riding, continued exercises and just be active. 

I appreciate your comments on don’t beat myself up over this as it’s easy for me to do. I had stopped riding bike at gym because of boredom and exhaustion so will return to doing that. I might need to download a movie or something to get through it cause music isn’t cutting it lol. He did say knee should last many many years! 

• Posted

Read my three links above.  The first will help with the ROM, the second will rebuild the strength in your dead quads, glutes and core, and the third will get you up and down stairs again.  PS: Stairs (defined as up and down with alternate legs without holding onto anything) require strength AND balance, hence the gym work.  It's a step people want to skip but can't if they truly want their life back...

• Posted

"Many, many years..."  Most docs talk in the 25-year range before any revision might be needed.  I'm 70...I'm done.  However, the knee will last it's maximum only if you respect it by avoiding all pounding and twisting.  This should help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

Running, jogging, competitive sports, etc. that will pound or torque the knee are forbidden.  Period.  After I had my hip replaced in '09, I asked the doc when I could get on my skates and back to playing hockey again.  He told me I could start the next day...if I wanted the hip to last only three years.  If I gave up my most favorite sport, the hip would last 25.  No-brainer...I quit the game.  No real choice here.  You cannot do any activity that will jeopardize the knee.  However, everyone makes their own decisions and lives with the consequences...

• Posted

I have saved your workout regime. I will gear back up tomorrow I was so emotionally worried over this appointment I am exhausted now lol probably will do heel slides though. I never want to have to experience this again so I will be so careful with my new knee use it to the max but never abuse with activities that will shorten it’s life lol This has been a very difficult recovery but the motto you shared never give up saved me many times over. And so again I will need to implement those beautiful words. Thanks
    • Posted

Ageing brings some of us a little wisdom. Some of us . I hope to not ever go through knee surgery again. Shocked the hell outta this old gal. Both hips next. Yippee. Enjoy shuffleboard! Pool walking is mighty fine too! But Harley riding is far better. Stay in the shallow end Chico. x
    • Posted

I had one hip done in '09.  Three days in the hospital and five in rehab.  First day home went to my health center that had PT, gym and therapy pool.  Five hours a day, six days a week...fully rehabbed in SIX WEEKS TOTAL!!!  Done...over.  If you've had a knee, the hip is a piece o' cake!  You can really push a hip or shoulder when you can't do that with a knee.

• Posted

On yer! Ozzie for.....good on you!

Hip op doesn't frighten me! After knees, I can go through anything!

Not scared of dying either! Having a great time here in Bali but seeing some weird shapes and sizes, many destined for new joints. What a ride the past two years have been! Here's to another 25-30! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.