6 month old recently diagnosed...help a concerned mom

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son recently got diagnoses with this, he's had it for about 3 weeks. He doesn't seemed to be bothered by it so far, not in pain or seems to be itching. I'm at a loss on how to make it go away faster. I'm concerned that it'll never go away. I'm also concerned if this will be something he'll deal with on and off his whole life.Does this mean something is wrong with his immune system? Does anyone have experience with a baby getting this I'm going crazy.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

The sensitivity of the rash seems to vary from person to person. I've now had PR for 4 months. If I remember correctly, the spots weren't itchy or bothering me for the first month - perhaps even longer. It wasn't until it started to spread, become dry, flaky and very red that it began to itch like crazy and sometimes burn.

I think it's just now starting to clear up. I had a large flare up just before it started clearing up. Having had this as long as I have, I haven't found anything to aid in speeding up the healing process. I tried tanning (which I don't recommend for a 6mo old) but that only seemed to agitate the "active" spots and help the older ones fade. Most other creams/soaps/supplements etc are designed to treat the symptoms, not combat the virus.

As far as it being a reoccuring, lifelong ailment, I don't know. Medical professionals aren't even sure what causes it. I've read it's supposed to be like chicken pox in the way that once you have it you become immune. However, I've also read forum posts of it reoccuring in certain people. So, it's difficult to say. I'm 33 and just got it for the first time. Generally speaking, I don't have any diseases in which my immune system would suppressed. In my case, the only thing I can think of is that it correlates with me becoming pregnant which may have understandably suppressed my immune system (and is perhaps why I'm still dealing with PR).

I've considered returning to the doctor several times now, but I've been told there is nothing more to be done - it will go away on its own, as frustrating as that is.

When it was supposed to have "run its course" (12wks) it was getting worse for me, spreading to places like my lower legs and arms. I was feeling very negative about it and even scared. Now that it's clearing up I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope your little one doesn't have to deal with this much longer and that it never becomes insanely itchy. My advice is to just wait. Doing what you can to soothe it is all you can do, time will do the rest.

Best of luck to you and baby!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.