6 month update

Posted , 5 users are following.

After 6 months i have been to many doctors or all kinds and all they found was hiatal hernia slightly low vitamin d low testosterone i am 28 and it is only at 124 and supposedly mono.(past infection) but they did not test for it until Jan 28th and i started getting fatigued in October or November. I have been back to work about a month or so but still can hardly do anything that i used to. If i try to hard or strain to much i get dizzy and nauseated feeling not to mention super sore depending on what muscles i strain with. I start a new hopefully easier job at a mill June 11th so i pray it goes well. This has been a super hard experience for me and my soon to be wife. We are getting married Friday she has done so much for me through this. I have energy to go out and garden and ride around the golf course with my friends but no prayer i could play right now and usually after i water the garden i am give out. I still have brain fog stomach pain muscle pains dizziness/lightheaded shortness of breath and generally feeling down and not myself. I have been told i have anxiety and depressed but i do not feel that way i just feel unwell and it is really hard to act and look happy when you always are feeling some kind of symptom. I will say i am better than i was January through March. I can do things now that i used to have no prayer of doing but i still would say i am only 50%. I do not feel like eating but i force myself and it is finally adding a little weight back to my body. All i can do at this point is try to manage and work and try to be as happy as possible. The doctors can not seem to find anything else wrong so it is all i have. I just sit and wait and pray for that break through. I love my life my future wife out home and our families and i am so ready to be happy and healthy and able to enjoy them again. I do recommend finding a hobby to make you happy. I love my garden and look forward to it everyday. Just to see what has grown and how it has grown and the food it gives us. It is not a lot and not strenuous most of the time but boy does it give me something to keep my mind on and to care about.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You and I are in the same boat in regards to possibly switching professions. I, like you, may have to jump ship to something not so laborious. Also like you, I had a minor project I had to get done that I would have normally breezed through no problem. Well, it turns out i felt really faint after. It was only 4 hours of work btw. That, and the fact that I've been reading that Mono can linger for quite sometime has got me really thinking about leaving my industry. It sucks because I loved being an Industrial Mechanic. I must adapt though. I'm really happy for you Josh. Sounds like you have a woman in your life that you love and is helping to keep you sane through these tough times. I hope you now have peace with all the tests that the Doctors have done for you. You just have to remember bro; besides the Mono you're as healthy as can be. All the tests you have been through should bring you major reassurance Josh. It's nice to know you have a garden you are tending to. Makes me want to take up gardening. Just worry about adapting your lifestyle to Mono. I wish you and your wife the very best and as well as you fam. Take it easy Josh

• Posted

Thank you. I would love to sound super tough and say it has all been fine i have just been sick but it has been a struggle changing what i eat what i do cutting out all the fun stuff i used to do but at the end of this i am very happy i have Leah at home to help me and be there for me. I know we all feel so terrible and it is such a life changing virus for a while at least but i am sure i will like this new job at the mill it will add a lot of stability to our life and will be way better for me in the long run. I can not wait to get my life back but until then i have so much at home to be thankful for at home. It is very difficult to see a brighter future and happier times but one day...one day...i pray to see it.

• Posted

Hey Jayce,

I hope so much you don't have to give up being an industrial mechanic if it is a job that you love. Maybe it's more just the case you have to take some time out from it for now, and it will be something you can do again when feeling much healthier (which you will). It's so hard when health affects work, I know myself from having went through a tough situation losing a job I was so tied too also in the last couple of years.

God still has AMAZING plans for your life Jayce and I believe He is going to bless you and look after your work life in the future, so don't worry is the message for today (I know it's much easier said than done though).

And most importantly you will get well and healthy again, this virus may be trying to do its worst right now but it eventually burns itself out Jayce, it doesn't have the stamina and resilience that your body has to overcome and defeat it. Taking things a day at a time and not looking too far ahead is important with this, and keeping in mind the truth that each day, regardless of even if you're not feeling at all great, is another day away from the day you were infected and a day towards full recovery. Thinking about you still hang in there Jayce, will keep you in my prayers.

Craig

• Posted

hey man, congrats to you on the marriage.

i myself as getting married this thursday, so we are almost perfectly in sync there. i know what its like having a physical job. im a climbing instructor/coach, so i have to be active most work days too to demonstrate things for others. Believe in your bodys ability to heal. it can get through so much. im pretty good most of the time, just have little lulls and things some days, body gets stressed more easily than before, but im able to work and exercise and live a normal life. i first felt sick in august 2017, so its been over a year and a half for me. ive only really started resting properly the last four months or so, and its a really good idea. i used to rock climb hard like 5 days a week for two hours, now i take it lighter and usually only climb for pleasure twice a week, rest a lot more, eat smaller meals, big meals tend to tax my body. less screen time is good for me too, i sleep better and feel less stressed. im 28 by the way.

dont give up the faith in yourself my friend.

• Posted

Thanks man it has been hard and i have to conserve energy which is probably hard for you as it is me because i always want to be doing something. These ups and downs and symptoms make it almost impossible to try to be normal but i am trying. Life is hard when its like this because you have to work to make money and have to rest to feel better so its just a big cycle at the moment and i am trying not to over do anything. I will be happy to be married and have everything i could want in life besides kids at 28 which i pray doesnt happen during this sickness. I just wait for recovery so i can continue my life until then try to be happy and keep moving forward.

• Posted

Many congratulations too on getting married Nick, wishing you and all your loved ones a wonderful and joyful day, especially after everything you've been through this last couple of years.

Glad to hear that things have been a bit more settled for you lately, things will continue to improve Nick your body will get stronger and stronger and God willing I believe you will get back to the climbing and sporting activities you enjoy again - definitely hoping and praying for that.

Congratulations again!

Craig

• Posted

Hey Josh,

You're so right it's like walking a tightrope between finding the balance of doing activities to help yourself but also resting and not overdoing things when going through and recovering from this virus. A lot of it is just listening to your body, it will get stronger and more resilient for doing things without any ill effects as time goes on, but it's just important in the here and now to cope with each day at a time and when you need to rest please do that, but also finding things you enjoy and find therapeutic like the gardening too is SO important, don't underestimate how much of a big and positive influence they can have with recovery.

Congratulations again on getting married and definitely wish you a wonderful and joyful day - and remember you will be healthy and well again - the first 6 months of mono are by far the worst, better times and FULL recovery is ahead, I truly believe that given my own recovery experience (thanks to God) after such a tough and extended time with this virus and reading the recovery stories of many others who were still feeling so unwell after 6 months but got back to full health again with some more time.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Josh,

I do remember being in a similar position after 6 months, where I still felt so unwell with some improvement but so slow and not anywhere near enough to make me feel like I could pick up normal levels of activities again. It could certainly be that if you had the blood test for mono around October / November when you started to feel unwell that it would have showed positive for a current mono infection - it was only the blood test I had in the first few weeks which showed positive for mono and other ones later on, even just a couple of months later, showed normal. That can be a feature of mono and can be so frustrating and why so many people seem to miss getting a firm diagnosis which must be so hard.

Believe me Josh that things will continue to get better - I remember at about that 6 to 9 month phase thinking that maybe this is the 'new normal' that I have to get used to, that I would have to adapt to a lesser way of life and it was so frightening and made me feel so down. But things will improve and you will get that breakthrough you need - for me it wasn't until about 10 months that I really started to see a major change and breakthrough - not saying it will be that long for you but just to enocurage you that it can be SO normal to be feeling how you are at this stage of mono and SO normal to go on and make a full recovery in the months after that - so hang in there.

Hoping so much that the new work schedule is going to be less stressful mentally and physically for you, you've shown great courage to keep working through this I know I really had to be off work for quite some time, remember to just go at your own pace and even if that means things take longer or don't get done at all, that's okay - your health comes first.

Definitely great advice about finding a hobby that helps with relieving stress and not taking up too much energy - the gardening sounds great and very therapeutic, great idea Josh!

AND really congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! I believe that even though this has been a tough time, this is going to pass and there are going to be many healthy and happy times ahead for you and your new wife - better times ahead, and remember you WILL get that breakthrough you need, it's coming!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.