6 Months + 2 weeks off Mirtazapine

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'll make this short. After 6 months and 2 weeks, I am having what appears to be protracted recurrent withdrawals, which are withdrawals that all of a sudden seem to return after a period of getting better. I am having severe abdominal cramps, general sick feeling, sleeping problems, and I have to force myself to eat. I have gone from 204 to 167, but have been at 167 - 168 for 19 days. I have significant fatigue, no stamina, feelings of doom, wondering if this is ever going to end. Also, thoughts of going back on the drug. This has been horrible. If you are Christian, please add me to your prayers to Jesus. I need His help. I have been to the Emergency Room several times for chest pain, abdominal pain, and stroke symptoms, all of which were negative, including the labs (blood work). Thanks for any prayers sent on my behalf. David

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

David, please know that you are in my prayers tonight.   These drugs can take a long time to get out of our body, a lot longer than doctors know.
  • Posted

Have you been checked for chrons disease your symptoms sound very similar. I so sorry your still suffering my wd from matazapine down to 15mg from 30mg has caused a massive flare in my ibd colitis. I've had diarrhea for 3 weeks since the day i reduced my dose ended up in hospital with blood aswell. Plus my liver became inflammed making me slightly jaundice. Anti depressants have been known to cause ibd in some studies funnily enough all my problem started 7 years ago exactly when I started ads x
    • Posted

Yes, I have the best GI doctors available in the area (USA) where I live. I am so sorry for your misery. I asked for prayers, but now I need to pray for you. These drugs are unforgiving, and can quickly take away your quality of life. God bless you and may your return to health be prompt and complete. David          By the way I have IBS, which made the GI symptoms much worse.
    • Posted

Yes matazapine will cause that massive flare in them syptoms you will be in my prayers also x
  • Posted

I no what you mean about going to the emergency room i still have bad panic attacks and have been there a good few times over the last few month. please se your doc and i would try not to go back on them.you are in my prayers david
  • Posted

David your in my prayers I am just about to come off mirtazipine so already worried sick all the best to you 💐
    • Posted

Louise, make sure that you taper long and a little at a time. I made the mistake of going cold turkey (stopped all at once), and it was the biggest mistake that I have ever made. Thank you for your reply, and prayers. Your friend in the US, David
    • Posted

Thank you David I will taper I have gone off an antidepressant in the past cold turkey before...I tried to do away with myself I will do this slowly best of wishes for you David 💐
    • Posted

Louise, go to face book and find Rose McKay, with the photo of the children, and ask her about joining her private page. David
    • Posted

Hi David sorry to hear you are still suffering. i did follow a lot of your withdrawal discussions and they have stuck in my head. I have been on 45mg mirt for the last 3 months due to wieght gain and acid reflux I told the psychiatrist  that I wanted off. He said 45 - 30 45. i have been on 37.5mg since last friday and hoepfully try and stay on this for the next 3 weeks then down to 30mg. He only wanted me to reduce to 30mg at present so I assume I will stay in this doses for a while and see how it goes. It doesn;t seem ot be helping with my adusttment disorder or BPD. Sorry for the typo's but I've beend rinking as I am currently sticking two fingerss up to the world. Sorry....Tina
  • Posted

David, I am so sorry you are going through this.  You have been off for six weeks?  You may be able to reinstate at a low dose and see if it gives you some relief, and then do the slow taper from there.  Otherwise, it helps to see your symptoms as signs that your body is healing.  There are receptors all over the body, not just the brain, that are impacted by the lack of the drug, and all your neurons are working hard to repair and regulate back to balance, but it takes longer than even the doctors think it shoud, especially the longer you were on the meds.  I started Mirt in April, had to keep increasing the dose all the way up to 37.5 mg because it kept pooping out, and I refused to go any higher because clearly that wasn't working.  So, I started tapering just six weeks after I began, 10% cuts, an even still I am having WD symptoms of burning skin, numbness of the lips and tongue, headaches, and some digestive upset, all at tolerable levels but there nonetheless.

Doing the slow taper requires having a jeweler's scale to weigh out the right amount, or having your doctor prescribe a liquid form that can be measured out with a syringe.  

I'm not sure why when people reinstate they go up to such high dosages, like 30 mg, but discuss it with your doctor.  Maybe 7.5 mg would be enough to relieve the worst symptoms or bring them to a tolerable level, and then do the slow taper from there?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.