6 months after 4 level fusion and walking more than 1/2 mile causes awful pain.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Was fused from L2 to S1 on June 9, 2015. I am glad I did it, big reduction in pain, no more drop foot, no more cauda equina symptoms. Just would love to get some walking exercise in, but if I walk more than 1/2 mile, I have awful pain later while trying to sleep, very sore! Any thoughts or advice? <3>

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a 2-level fusion of L3/4 and L4/5 on June 1, 2015. I too am glad I did it as I have no back pain but still have some some pelvic floor nerve issues, but it's gradually getting better. I use a Fitbit and average about 6K steps each day which is approximately 2 miles. I bought really good walking shoes which help. I live in a 2-story home and the stairs are good for building leg strength. My legs and hips are tired by night but I have really noticed improvement in strength and endurance. I take

a couple of Extra strength Tylenol before bed which helps. I am seeing my doctor with x-rays tomorrow for my 6-month checkup. For me the more active I am, the better I feel. I realize you had a 4-level fusion so it will take longer. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I miss exercising so much, I will not give up! I am active in the house, and can go shopping, but when it comes to distance, I can do it but at a huge price as far as pain goes. Good luck to you at your appointment!
  • Posted

Dawn,

I had the same issue, healed nice after fusion Dr had me start walking, walk out the door to go to the bank and wham pain!! I had to sit my handicapped niece on my lap as my sister pushed us home, than I broke out with a high fever, called Dr he said leg if run its course but by the end of the day I had a dark sticky fluid coming out of my pores where my surgery was. Well ended up in emergency room rushed back had drs on every side of me poking and opening this site which poured out this dark sticky fluid, dr immediately had me stay and I was in surgery later that night, I ended up with a staph infection from the surgery, it was about 2-3 months later, I ended up with a open hole from the surgery was done and packed every day a home nurse had to come in and repack every day, but before I was let out of hospital I had to have a pic line put in from my arm to my heart, was trained on how to inject this highest antibiotics into my arm everyday, and I also had to go to a infectious control Dr. Because they didn't know where I picked it up, I know I got it from the fusion cause it took alot longer to do, 6 hours turned into a 8 hour, but the pain to walk or sleep was unbearable, pls get checked for mrsa which is a staph infection.

I hope you get better quick and hope you the best

Just make sure you stay on top of it as it can do alot of damage to your flesh not to scare you but don't wait get a blood test to rule out. Best of luck

Cindy

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Cynthia! Wow, you really went through the wringer with your fusion!! I don't think I have an infection because I have no fever, and feel great. I am wondering if distance walking is going to be more gradual with me. I just got finished riding my stationary bike this morning. We will see what tonight brings for sleep. I hope you are doing well with your back now that you got the infection under control. Every day we get a little better! Hugs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.