6 months after hemorrhoid surgery recovering experience and advice on how to get through it

Posted , 65 users are following.

So i figured i would post my experience after 6 months, since when i got the surgery and was looking for info it seemed like 99% of the posts i found only covered the first few weeks or so. Then the person goes MIA when people ask for a update. 

So some back story im 27, and had my surgery on 11/23/17. So in about a week i will be at the 6 month mark. I had 4 hemorrhoids removed all together. 3 smaller internal ones and one medium sized external one. Overall would i do it again? definitely, but there is alot of stuff i wish i knew before hand. 

Plan on taking atleast 2 weeks off of work, more if you in any kind of driving job/physical labor job. If you fall into that category take a month off if you can, if your doing physical labor take it easy for atleast 2 months.

My doctor originally told me i would be back on my feet within 3-5 days. But i spent the first week pretty much laying in bed on my side. After about a week i was able to walk around and do normal activities somewhat, but it was not a comfortable experience at all. Bending over hurt, walking up and down stairs hurt, getting in and out of the car hurt and i pretty much carried a pillow around everywhere i went. Overall though i think the 2nd week was worst than the first. You should get some good pain meds to get you through the first week or so, but once they run out you start to feel everything u didnt feel the first week, plus combined with the fact you going to be moving around more. If i had to do it again, i probably would have suffered more the first week and taken less meds then saved them for the 2nd/3rd week. A word of advice looking back is even though you are in pain you should take the minimum amount of pain meds you can. They will make you constipated and the last thing you want after hemorrhoid surgery is to be constipated. Trust me i learned that hard way. Start taking fiber pills a week or so before surgery and dont stop until you feel 100% better. Try not to eat anything hard either. I pretty much ate, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and bought a bunch of those ensure drinks for the first two weeks. You want whatever is going in you to come out as easy as you can. Liquids/soft foods are your friend.

It took me about 4 days after my surgery to finally use the bathroom (why i said dont take to many pain pill) and im not going to lie it was excruciating. It took about 2weeks in total to be able to use the bathroom without being in alot of pain and 3 weeks for it be be "comfortable". But the first two weeks were definitely the worst. I legit almost passed out i was in so much pain a few times. Dont push just sit and wait. If it doesnt work try again later. You will be in there for a bit, take you time. Over all id say it took about a month to use the bathroom normally. I bled almost every single time for the first 2-3 weeks. Then it slowly stopped over time. In the end it took about 2 months for me to stop bleeding. Also dont be afraid if you look in the mirror and see what it looks like. Its going to look horrible the first month or so. But after about a month most of the swelling should have gone down and it will start to look more "normal". Within 1-2 months id say about 50-75% of the swelling should be gone depending on how much work you needed. 

It took me about a month in total for me to be back to doing my normal activities without being to uncomfortable. The only real issues i had was sitting for to long, or bending over to pick stuff up. It isnt really a pain, its more of a tightness, kind of the feeling of having a pulled muscle. I was originally told the swelling/tightness would last for 2-3 months. For me i say that more of a minimum. While the swelling went down alot after 2 months (id say about 75%) the tightness and stiffness stuck around. I went back to the doctor at the 4 month mark to ask him about it and he told me i still had some healing going on for the external one and to give it a month or two. After 5 months the stiffness has gone away, now that im coming up on month number 6 and i would say im about 99% back to normal. Which sort of makes sense since scar tissue takes around 5 months to heal. While 6 months seems like a long time to deal with this its really more like 2 months of actual pain. The third month your going to be annoyed here and there by it, and 4-6 you should start to forget you even had the surgery. 

The only real issue id say after its all said and done is i still have some loose skin where the stitches were on the eternal one. When i mentioned it to the doctor on the 4th month he said it can be easily removed with a office procedure in about 2 minutes if i wanted. But i should wait to see if it goes down a bit. I originally had a little loose skin on the other side (from the internal one swelling) when talked to him and thats completely gone now. So i figured id wait another month or to see what happens before i have that done. But once that is gone it will almost look like i never had the surgery at all. 

Overall im really happy i had it done. Yeah it sucked for a few months, but ive been dealing with them since i was 15 years old. So 5 months of pain to no longer deal with hemorrhoids was well worth it. Id definitly do it again if needed (but i pray i never have to) lol

Lastly this might fall into the TMI catagory but im bi some im going to include this for the girls/guys out there who like anal sex because when i searched i found almost nothing. One of my concerns about this whole thing was my sex life. My advice is take a break for atleast 5-6 months before you try to put anything in there, then when you do start small. I tried around month 4 and it hurt alot, wait till your feeling 100% better then wait a extra month. Your getting a new a**hole in the end. Imagine the first time you ever put something in there, well thats how its going to be again. If you feel any discomfort, just wait a bit longer. I tried again about a week ago, and while it still wasnt easy it was 100x easier then it was at month 4. So you sex life isnt gone, its just postponed a bit and you need to slowly get back into it. It was a night and day difference between month 4 and 6, so i assume its going to get even easier as time goes on. 

14 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for posting your experience as there isn't much on what to expect after the first couple weeks.

Here is my experience...

I had a hemorrhoidectomy on November 6th, 2020 so its been almost 3 months. Per my doctor, I had very large ones...1 internal and 2 external. All these popped up during my 3rd trimester of my second pregnancy. Oh boy, were they painful when they came! They were painful when I walked, went to the bathroom and they really effected my self esteem so I decided 9m post baby to have the surgery. Now for the actual surgery, it was easy peasy! The recovery, nobody prepares you for how horribly painful it is! Take minimum of 2 weeks off work, trust me on this! The first week was spent lying on my side and the second you can move but still very painful. The first BM was excruciating. The other BM's after were also very VERY painful. I finally got relief about 2 months out. I am still experiencing some pain during BM's, as well as some bleeding and leakage. I really hope this doesn't last forever but reading these posts gives me hope. Would I do it over again?! Absolutely! The pain was the worst I have ever experienced but to be able to be more confident again is very very worth it to me! Hoping in another few months I will be as good as new with a beautiful new A$$hole! haha

• Posted

Not an easy thing. Mine is 7 month now, after the surgery in far away Indian.

Life has not been easy alot of health issues. From enlarge prostatics to hydronephrosis.

Am still seeing bleeding occasionally but of recent the blood is coming out with stool.

Doctors don't even care to advise or answer u. Especially at this covid state.

Met some group of holistic doctors and i switch diet since then. Avoid alot of things

• Posted

well its 9 months for me and guess what they came back i am so upset i cant go through that pain again pray for me

• Posted

hi nil i had piles open surgery after 6 months ago but steel some pain and redness on anus pls replay

• Edited

Is it normal for the swelling to look awful and cover the actual hole? Mine look like big piles have returned! I do not know what to do to help

• Edited

Was normal for me the first few months or so for it to be super bumpy. Almost felt like my hemorrhoids came back. I'd say it took 6 months to a year for everything to flatten out. At the 6 month mark I went and got some extra bit of skin removed and I regretted it at the time because it caused a bunch of new bumps. But after a while they all went away too.

I'd say I really wouldn't worry about any bumps or loose skin until 6 months goes by. After 6 months then decide if you want to have it removed. Only took 5 minutes in the office. It's been 4 years since my surgery and you would never even know I had it. Other than this post I haven't thought about it all at.

• Posted

I made an account on here just to let you know how much your updates on here have helped sustain my hope that things will fully resolve down there in time - I keep coming back and re-reading your entries as more time passes (had hemorroidectomy three months ago) and it's the best info on the net for us 'long-haulers'. Your updates have truly been the best thing I've found for alleviating my anxiety, providing realistic expectations and giving me reassurance, so I'm sending you a big virtual hug and much much thanks for posting these and updating over the past few years! Truly invaluable! - Ellie

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing this! I thought I was the only one suffering from this lol. I had my hems (2 internals, 1 huge external) last June 7, 2021 and up until now I still experience lingering pain and discomfort during/after I poop. I'm on a full on liquid diet right now because I get constipated so easily, but even though Im not constipated it's always painful to pass stool 😢 . I think it's because of the pressure of having a tighter anal opening this time, but big internal capacity. I talked to my doctor about it and he said the pain might stay for a year post op (yikes) which is now giving me anxiety. The pain lingers for up to 3 days after I poop, and I kid you not, having a desk job isn't helpful either despite having those soft pillows/cushions on my chair. I'm not trying to scare anyone who's getting hemorrhoidectomy soon (it's worth it btw), but those doctors and med journals are scams coz they would tell you that you can do your normal routine again within a week lmao. My first week after the surgery was a living hell XD The pain was too much despite those pain meds to the point that I begged the nurses to put me into deep sleep or something (even though I have pretty good pain tolerance).

• Posted

I just reached my 3 month mark of recovery. How long did everyone use laxatives/stool softners for? Ive noticed if i dont take them for a day it is extreme pain when i have a BM. I forgot to take it one weekend and almost ended up in the hospital because i couldnt pass my stool and realized my body seems somewhat addicted to the laxative. Ive been trying to take less but when i do i have lots of rectal bleeding for days. It is so tight down there and feel like i will never have a normal BM again. 31 year old female.

• Posted

I'd definitely talk to your doctor about that, 3 months seems like a really long time to still have bleeding. I'd say my bleeding stopped around the 3-4 week mark. It was only really a concern for the first 2 weeks where I felt like every time I went to the bathroom I was doing some damage. I only took stool softeners myself during the first few weeks. Mostly because I took pain killers and it made me constipated. Definitely talk to your doctor because by the 3 month mark I was back to normal, I was just really tight and tender down there but not to the point I was bleeding.

• Edited

Hi guys

So I am 15 weeks post op, nearly 4 months.

My bleeding with BM stopped weeks ago. Then had a large BM and bled a little again. Not a lot just on the toilet paper. Anyone else??

• Edited

Faye,

i am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I didnt have any pre banding but had both internal with bands and external with basic custom new butt cut/shape/stitching done at same time.

I can honestly say that i thought i made a huge mistake for at least 8 weeks. The first 2 weeks were so bad i cried regularly. There were two distinct occurrences that felt as if "something let go" internally followed by a round of heavier bleeding again. Don't know if that was stitches or bands dissolving but each time resolved a tightness that had become bothersome. i am at 10 weeks post op, for the most part I am feeling back to myself again. i still get uncomfortable sitting on certain surfaces for any length of time and my strength/stamina are both lacking but at least i finally feel like there is an end in sight. At 8 week check up i still had a spot that had not healed. My DR said there is a reason this type of surgery is only done if really necessary and it is the pain/recovery sucks. Hang in there - best of luck with your recovery - cj

PS - this chat group helped me soooo much

• Posted

Hello Neal,

I want to say thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm in week number 5 after surgery, pain is more tolerable now, but inflammation still kind of high, some days I wake with no pain or inflammation, but as soon as I go to the bathroom the inflammation shows up, Did this happen to you?

I'm happy to hear that you life got back to normal, but bummed to hear I still have several months to go!

Thanks so much again, I looked a lot of info on line and you post gave me the strength to stay positive and to have more patience!

• Posted

Hi Luisito and the others. I am so grateful to be able to read about everyone's experiences and recovery progress. As mentioned, the doctor and other information regarding this procedure is not accurate or very limited. They did not thoroughly go in details regarding the pain and discomfort one will go through not just after the procedure, but weeks later as well. I have not been on a normal diet or eaten a full decent meal since the procedure. I have been avoiding most foods to avoid constipation, gas and bloating as well. This is also my 5th week. By week 3, I was actually feeling a lot better, but 4th/5th week my improvements regressed. Apparently, my doctor said the existing hemorrhoid that was not remove is now inflamed. So due to the inflammation, it is causing major pain either before or after a bowel movements, along with some spasms. Almost like contraction but 10x worse. Going to the bathroom has not been normal since the procedure. I have the urge of going all the time, especially after eating something. And each time is just a small amount. I keep reading people's experiences and know that this will all pass, but these past 5 weeks has been the worse experience ever, the pain and discomfort is never ending as well. What have you been doing to help with the pain or ease the pain? Also, are you eating normally?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.