6 months and suffering the consequences

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I don't know where else to go so here I am. My surgery was 6 months ago and I've been on pain meds since then. I ran out 5 days ago and am going through withdrawel from vicoden. I am ok with the quitting part but the withdrawel is awful. Does anyone have some sound advice for me? And does anyone know how long this awful feeling lasts? I was taling 2 -3 a day. Thanks. Even encouragent would help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

so sorry to hear you are having a hard time.  When I broke my neck and face in a serious accident, I was taking two narcotic pills a day and I didn't think that was much...but it was for a year. When I decided I just wanted to stop cold turkey I didn't think there would be a problem. But for 4 days I felt crappy. I felt like I had the flu. I didn't crave the med, I just felt bad. Then I started to feel better and just used tramadol and tylenol when needed and overall felt better. It really is better to taper down on meds like that. going from 2-3 a day to  nothing is pretty tough. Drink lots of fluids, try to used cold, positioning, distraction and gentle stretching for pain relief. You probably have reversed any constipation you may have had so if you are having diarrhea, try some banana or rice for the stomach. walk as you can. Did your Dr cut you off the meds or is he willing to give you something that you can cut in half and wean down from more slowly? Either way, just know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This is a time to pamper yourself. Wishing you the best. 

• Posted

Dependence on opioids, both physical and psychological, can occur quickly after taking prescription opioids for even a short time. This is what the President of the USA has focused one of his goals in  trying to deal with the dangers surrounding these mediations. Once dependence has occurred, you should not go cold turkey because the withdrawal symptoms may be very uncomfortable. You should be under a physician's care. Usually that means weaning from the narcotics and possibly substituting something else less addicting until you get off of everything.

You went cold turkey and have been off the drug for five days already. You obviously have the wherewithal to beat this addicting drug! How is your pain level? Are you able to tolerate the pain of whatever caused the physicians to put you on the drug in the first place? Please consult with a physician or addiction center to see if they can set you up in a program that gives you the support you need at this crucial point in your recovery. 

Some of withdrawal symptoms include:

Anxiety

Nausea

Diarrhea

Vomiting

Trouble with temperature regulation

Insomnia

Runny nose

Irregular heart rate

Tremors

Sweating

Excessive tearing

Chills and/or gooseflesh

Dilated pupils

Fatigue

You have come this far on your own and that is SO ADMIRABLE; perhaps you will fit into that group of people who only need two seeks to disengage from this addicting drug. Please seek professional help to ease you back into a drug-free person. This is not your fault, but it is your body and you need to follow proven strategies that help the addicted. Prayers and hugs as you stay the course!

• Posted

In the last paragraph I meant two "weeks"... Sorry.

• Posted

How are you doing today?!
    • Posted

I am doing ok, it is not an easy thing.Tomorrow is day 7. It's sad because I needed these medications and like always they don't give you the cold hard truth about them. I am having several side affect, RLS, nausea, aching.My doctor gave me something today (non addictive) to help ease this. I've only slept 3 to 4 hours a night. I have high hopes for tonight.

I have also been searching the Internet about this and I am a pretty easy case. Most people have surgery and get hooked. Some are taking 30 at a time!!! I have no cravings for them, just to stop feeling crappy.I've got this.

• Posted

15 days. I have a headache but the other symptoms are mostly gone.I just know I don't want to go backwards.

• Posted

Excellent!  Stay focused and keep working through it!  YOU WILL MAKE IT!!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.