6 Months In on 20 mg.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I haven't posted in a while but thought I would like to share my experience on 20 mg Fluoxetine. 

I started the med in late November so I am now 6 month in. i haven't missed a dose and I take it first thing in the morning during breakfast. I experienced very bad side effects initially for at least the first 12 weeks- like some people on here I had headache,trembling, increased anxiety, insomnia and bad stomach (heartburn bloating). The only thing that remains is the insomnia which I still struggle with. I probably noticed an improvement after 3 months but you think the drug will never start to work,however now after 6 months I feel almost back to my old self. There are some subtle changes that I have noticed in my character and I sometimes think I am more forgetful than I used to be but overall I am very pleased with the outcome. The next step will be either staying on the drug or coming off it, my Dr says to wait at least another 3-4 months and we will take it from there. Good luck to everyone. 

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm at almost 4 weeks and I feel like the bad side effects are starting to subside now. I'm still far from feeling good but trying to be patient.

• Posted

Im 2 days away from week 10 and im still feeling bad. Anxious, Trouble sleeping, body/headaches. Not feeling any better. Not sure if i should continue. Im at 40mg . Did you start feeling better after the 12weeks ? Or u were already feeling better at the 12th week. Not sure if u understand my question? I took 1/2 clonazepam it did nothing for anxiety.😣

• Posted

Thanks for your post. It gives me the courage to stay on this drug. 

I’m on week 13 and I’m having some good days. The doctor just increased my dose from 30mg to 40 mg. I still tremble and get dizzy, and I feel like I’m starting all over again. I’m hoping that at 6 months I’m feeling  good. 

Best Wishes. 

• Posted

13 Months now on Fluoxetine 20mg. I have been feeling very well apart from the subtle character changes that I highlighted in my previous post. My Dr has recommended that I start to come off them so I am now on 2 days on 1 off for the last month. I haven't really noticed much difference yet but next week I will go onto 1 pill every other day. Anyone have experience weaning off the drug like this, I obviously have concerns that I will revert back but so far its ok. For me, it has helped me so much that I would quite willingly stay on 20mg for the forseeable future but the Dr reckons I should come off them to see if I am ok. However I have read from some other people that if you come off then try and go back on it doesn't seem to work? Any views?

Thanks a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.