6 months of De Quervian's disease. Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 20 year old musician and my doctor told me I have this. I have been in pain for 6 months now and my mom believes that all I need is rest which I have given plenty of. I need more ideas, my doctor gave me medicine, but I can't stay on those forever, what should I do?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Potato Pie,

Sorry to hear about your De Quervain's.

I had this for along time, about 2 years, in my right hand, and was restricted in my activities such as tennis, drawing and writing. I took complete rest from tennis for the 2 year period, and rested it generally - tried to employ my left hand more, such as for using the computer. For the first 18 months, I had physiotherapy, which  helped very much, particularly during the last 6 months of treatment, a range of conservative treatments such as massage (transverse frictions), ultrasound, and stretching designed for the tendon concerned. I did not have any steroid injection or operation. So in my case, the recovery - so far - has been a matter of rest, conservative physio treatment and time, which will vary in length for each case. My tendon is not fully recovered, and after an activity such as writing, drawing and cleaning, it needs rest and stretching. 

I hope ths helps.

Grimm.

• Posted

Mine was so painful at one point that I couldn't use the hand. So I tried using an old carpal tunnel splint adapted to support the thumb. It made a huge difference so I have now ordered two 'proper' splints.

There is a huge variation in the splints available in terms of size and support but I didn't want anything too heavy duty as I will be wearing one day and night. My advice would be to check out what's available and look at the reviews online. In your case I would be wearing one as often as possible and reduce the activity that seems to be causing it. Hopefully this will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.