6 Months of debilitating pain & in my final year of uni. How do I cope? Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Since October last year I have experienced pain in my lower right abdomen that effects my back and underneath my ribs almost constantly. They have found a cyst and although it's meant to be functional but I am miserable , and to make matter worse it turned out I had also been suffering with h.pylori which was causing me to throw up every couple of days Since October also.I've started treatment for that so things are slightly better but I'm already prone to depression and had an episode in January.

I guess what I would like to know is that, now that I am waiting another 5 weeks just to see the gynecologist (and not knowing what will come of it), how do you cope with not feeling like yourself? Has having a cyst and all the fatigue and dizzy spells stopped you from doing anything? Because I'm starting to think I can't pass my final year feeling like this because the physical is awful but being in pain everyday and not being able to get around the way I used to because of it, is really breaking my spirit. Could anyone please share their experiences and what helped them get over a stage like this?

Cocodamol doesn't help me at all either - pain remedies?

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're feeling like that Cole94. Have you told your GP, (family doc) that the cocodamol don't help? There might be something else he/she can prescribe. Codeine makes you feel tired and upsets the stomach too, does me anyway. It's the cheapest option for them to prescribe. I would explain that you're doing your finals and can't concentrate and worried about not passing them. It's most likely the anxiety is making you feel worse so you need to talk to the doctor's and get things off your mind. Also speak to someone at Uni for advice if possible. Best wishes Pollyanna UK X rolleyes

• Posted

How are you doing now? I hope your appointment went well. I can sympathise with you as I am suffering with constant pain too. I was told I have a small functional cyst on right ovary. 3.6cm no follow up arranged! I think it's time I started to speak up I can't take the constant pain anymore.

• Posted

You poor thing, reading that broke my heart as I know exactly how you feel! What kind of cyst is it?

In Feb I was having the same horrible aches and pains you are having on both hips alternately, constant back ache like I was about to come on and terrible stabbing pains under my rib cage. I was diagnosed with a 8cm Dermoid Cyst and then when I was rescanned in May it was 10cm. I was in agony and couldn't cope with shop bought co codamol either, went to my GP and they gave me codeine tablets (30mg) which were so much better and really allowed me to live my life a bit more normally. I would really recommend pushing for them.

My local hospital Gynae said they couldn't fit me in until the 13th July after my follow up scan which was end of May. Me and my GP both agreed I couldn't go on living like this until July, then potentially wait another 8 weeks for surgery to have it sorted out. I pushed for a referall to my local private hospital under the "ERS/Choose & Boook scheme" funded by the NHS. My GP gave this to me and I went and logged on and booked my appt at the private hospital myself - and my appt was 2 weeks after I received the referall. The Gynae I saw at the private hospital was an amazing man who understood everything I was going through and rushed me through for surgery in just a week! So I actually had my op yesterday afternoon. They removed big cysts from both ovaries in the end, and they couldn't go keyhole so I have a traditional scar across my bikini line (not that I have seen it yet) I'm still in hospital having morphine and I think my recovery time is about 4-6 weeks but I'm going home from hospital tomorrow.

Honestly the best advice I could give you is to not let them just forget about you - go to your GP repeatedly until they listen to you. You shouldn't have to go through what your going through and living a life of pain waiting to be sorted out. Just keep pushing, look into the ERS Scheme as everyone is entitled to this option if you need a second opinion.

I hope things get better for you quickly and you manage to get through your final year at uni.

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.