6 Months post colposcopy op and cystitis back for 3rd time!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have posted before re the previous attacks of cystitis and had helpful replies. It is back again, e-coli infection. On my 3rd course of antibiotics, this time for 2 weeks, then next week I am booked in for a cystoscopy. Just hoping they find out what is causing the repeated infections. Asked my doctor about using D-mannose. He hadn't heard of it,but checked on his computer, and suggested I could try it after I have finished the antibiotics, in fact,that I could try any other alternatives to keep my bladder flushed and cleaned out.

The infections haven't been terribly painful, but I have seen the doctor as soon as I feel it coming on. Will post again when I have had the cystoscopy results. Just a bit fed up with it all.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Are these infections following prolapse repair frances?
    • Posted

Yes, I had entero, recto and cystocele repairs. Didn't know I had any problems apart from an uti. Then urologist said I had all three and needed op. all fine for 3 months, then repeated infections, all e-coli based. Now on third lot of antibiotics,now for 2 weeks. Cystoscopy next week, so maybe there is something else going on! Wish I had never had anything done, I could cope with peeing my pants in times of stress, now I get poo residue, not all the time, but enough to be upsetting. It is difficult for me as I am in France, and tho I can cope with the language, I am not fluent. Not even having any sex, so  it's not that! Getting very fed up.

• Posted

Oh frances this is obviously so upsetting for you and the language barrier must be difficult when you have an appointment. A cystoscopy will hopefully highlight any problems in the urinary tract but I wonder why you are getting some soiling as well. E. coli as you know is the most common cause of UTI and wiping from back to front is often thought to be a cause but I'm sure you are one of the women who is careful in that respect. Fingers crossed the cystoscopy gives you some answers because I would be surprised if the prolapse repair was the cause to be honest. It will be interesting to hear the result and you deserve some answers x

• Posted

Hi Frances, if you need any help in French please don't hesitate to ask, I lived in Paris for 17 years. Hope you get sorted out quickly.

• Posted

Thank you Tam, I can probably manage, just sometimes wish I was more fluent when trying to describe how I am feeling.
    • Posted

I so know how you feel, it took me many years to get my French level almost as good as my English and now I live in Israel and there is no way that I could properly describe how I'm feeling in Hebrew. Fortunately my gynecologist is ex South African and my urogynecologist is almost fluent in English.

• Posted

frances if you were French and seeing someone in a hospital you would automatically be offered a translator who would have knowledge of medicine/nursing. It would probably be a doctor or a nurse. It's a shame you can't be offered the same service.

• Posted

don't think I would be offered that here,unfortunately. Usually manage reasonably well, just when trying to describe feelings and levels of discomfort it can get difficult. Will keep you updated!

• Posted

I didn't think you couldn't manage but you are right it's how you feel that can be difficult to get over. That's why in the U.K. we try whenever possible get a doctor or nurse who will translate. xx

• Posted

Hi Matron, I had the cystoscopy and urologist couldn't find anything serious, but he has put me on a once weekly antibiotic for 6 months, as he put it, to keep my bladder clean! Feeling much better and relieved that there wasn't anything else wrong. Thanks for all your reassurances xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.