6 months post op

Posted , 9 users are following.

6 months now since halux valgus with tendon release and big toe is no more mobile now than then! Still very painful, surgeon does not know why, so fitted with a full carbon fibre insole to stabilise the joint. Am walking better with it in and manually trying to mobilise the joint every day without weight bearing. Appt with surgeon next week to review the situation with a view to a further op to fuse the joint. I am getting very anxious and emotional about this as I can see myself back in the walking boot for 6 weeks and learning to walk a different way-again. Not sure what the implications are for footwear and mobility with a fused joint. Am only 56 and do occasionally like to wear a moderate heel but can't with my foot as it is so should I get it fused? Decisions......Lost my job in retail as I couldn't be on my feet and feeling very down now after 6 months. Sorry to be so depressive when you all seem so upbeat and improving.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Susan

I am 6 months on too and still swollen and hurt. I had both done at the same time. My left was fused and had a pin and staple put in but the screw is now sticking out and rubs on my shoes, having it taken out later this month (dreading it!). My fused toe is stiff but getting better week by week but I had to wear the boot for 9 weeks as the surgeon had trouble getting the screw to stay in place, he said I have osteoporosis. I guess everyone is different though. On the bright side my right foot looks great and doesn't hurt but only had the bone shaved and a pin put in that one. Not sure my reply is helpful but just wanted to let you know you are not alone and that other people I have spoken to who have had them done say that it takes upto 1 to 3 years to be back to normal, so I guess we have a long way to go.  Keep me updated on your progress. x

• Posted

Thanks Jacckie, why don't they tell us about the pain, at 12 wks post op he said I should not be in any pain and here I am at 24wks! I imagined by fusing the joint it sould always be stiff so don't understand your comment? Is your toe meant to move?
    • Posted

Sorry Susan, yes only the tip bit. I can wiggle/scrunch my big toe a bit. It feels like its moving more than it looks. I don't have full movement but Dr said as fused now I wont.
  • Posted

Hi I'm just over three months and a few weeks ago thiught I'd made rapid improvement.  Then just suddenly this week it's gone back to how it was.  Stiff because of swelling, joints aching and the hammer toe that was supposedly straightened causing a lot of discomfort.  They don't tell us the true story of recovery, if they did I didn't take it in at the time of agreement.  I guess I just didn't think it would be anything like this!  It's depressing to hear that you still have swollen feet at 6 months.  And to think this could go on for years.   I think they might be operating on my hammer toe again one day, will it never end!
    • Posted

Sorry to hear all your problems,I haven't had a straight forward recovering either, you are not alone. Go with the flow I know I have been terribly depressed about having a fracture in the osteotomy site of my big toe 16 weeks after scarf and akins proceedure. I have now been in a walker boot for 5 weeks and have another 3/4 to go. My joint is completely stiff now and looks like I will have to go through all the rehabilitation again and learning to walk. But the only way is forwards it is no good wishing if only, we are where we are now, some days this is easier than others but I really can sympathise with you all.
    • Posted

Hi Smab, totally fed up now and not been offered any rehabilitation. Some seem to get physio as normal but I have had no advice re mobility and worry that its too late now. Will find out next thurs what surgeon thinks......thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, like you I don't see an end in sight and no advice given about recovery other than 12 wks off work. You must be joking, I still can't stand about for the 4 to 6 hour shifts I would have been asked to do. It's not the swelling that stops me wearing normal shoes it's the fact that I cannot flex my forefoot to slide into any thing. Wearing big trainers, with my insoles, and double velcro fastening sandles that I can adjust to fit. Neither very glamorous, just practical so just as well I'm not working!
    • Posted

I don't think it will be too late for rehabilitation. My surgeon said after being in a boot walker for 6 weeks and I probably have zero movement in my toe now that the mobility would come back with time and exercise, so don't worry. He told me at a later date I might need a steriod injection and some physio, but not to worry. Hope this gives you some reassurance.
  • Posted

Hi there Susan It is possible you feeling very low and worried too and you feel alone and wondering why has this happened to me when so many peoples feet are perfect after the operation. I wanted to let you know you are not alone.. I too face the operation again and a possible toe fusion, in my case my second toe. I also am feeling worried about the implications of shoe wear after the operation and am worried about footwear. I am also 56 well 57 next week to be honest. I am also dreading spending another 6 weeks in the dreaded boot, possibly this time plaster, because I fell an broke my toe week two after the operation. So have had it suggested this time it may be plaster. The Bungion is back and I have a floppy second toe.. Thus the fusion. Please feel free to PM me if you fancy someone to chat to and need a shoulder and someone to share your feelings. I know how I feel so can imagine how you must feel. My foot is still suffering from swelling after this operation so can't imagine what it will be like after a second operation.. The one thing I do know, is my foot and toe can't stay as they are.. 😟 sending hugs your way SueH xx
    • Posted

So sorry swampiesue to hear your recovery has not gone to plan. I can fully sympathise although I have managed to dodge having surgery so far again. I know weaing the boot is hideous I am 5 weeks in now from fracture but I also know like you it couldn't stay as it was. I found constantly airing my feelings made me feel better, keep talking to your buddies on line. Hugs Smab
  • Posted

Thank you for the Kim's words Smab, I will keep talking to you all, xxx
  • Posted

Kind words, is the predictive text, keeps changing things lol xx
  • Posted

Hi Susan so sorry to hear u struggling but u are not alone !! I'm almost 7 months post bunion & hammertoe surgery on 2nd,3rd,4th & 5th toe !! Big toe stiff & hammertoes bk to original if not worse state !! Big toe looks great but very stiff & walking on ball of foot as none of toes in contact with ground &hurts like hell !! Surgeon says this is post op complication & proposing to do manipulation under anaesthetic to break up adhesions & get movement bk  but gone on hols for month of July so will have to wait till mid August to see him again !  Not sure if this will resolve hammer toes & how can I walk if toes don't touch floor ? Am bitterly regretting ever getting op & am told that unlikely that  2nd op wud improve situation as cud suffer same again . Am only 47 & not sure if I'm ever going to be pain free & walk normally again, spent last week in bed or in tears as have had enough emotionally & physically  ! Am wearing pad on foot to try and force big foot to push off & take load off metatarsals, but it all hurts & so weary of it ! Yet everyone who sees my foot says it looks great so they don't realise how painful it is !! It's hard to be upbeat when u've been in pain or limited activities for such a long time for something that was meant to improve quality of life !! Totally natural but am trying to be positive & appreciate what I can do rather than stressing about what I can't. Hope this helps, keep us posted on developments Xx
    • Posted

Hi Anne I'm so sorry this has happened to you, makes me wonder if I should ever have this operation again at all. However my floppy toe tip hits the floor when i walk so something needs to be done about that.. I do hope that the pain goes away for you and walking gets easier.. Thinking of you S xx
    • Posted

Dear Anne I feel so much for you. You poor lamb it sounds awful I am not surprised you are emotionally and physically spent, I think anyone would be. Let's hope that a break away will give you some relaxation  and that manupilation does the trick. I am going to have to go through manipulation later as foot is solid as a brick now since suffering fracture. All the best and good wishes hope your luck improves and that you get a good resolution. X
    • Posted

I've just been to get a pair of shoes, most of them would not go on.. Thank god for Velcro sanders. Frustraiting not being able to wear shoes, but at least I am not in any pain to speak of... Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.