6 months post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello again, some further info after my appt with my surgeon this afternoon.

He sent me for another x-ray which showed some deterioration in the big joint which wasn't present 12 weeks ago and a possible problem with two sigmoid bones (I think)

Confirmed the joint is very stiff, that can happen but said I was unique!

Treatment for now will be a steroid inj into the joint. The local will confirm that this takes the pain from the joint, huh!, and the steroid might make it last with a view to fusing the joint.

I could cry, it's time consuming, frustrating and preventing me from looking for another job. I can't start not knowing when I will need the time off. He did say he would put me down as "urgent" as there is a waiting list for the steroid procedure which has to be done with x-ray support in theatre.

Have had steroid inj in both feet before for my plantar fasciitis and tarsal tunnel so they do not worry me it's just that this is going on and on.

Hope someone has good news to share...........thank you all.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar experience Susan at 6 months.  I was still walking with a limp  after my first foot was done a year ago and I am in a similar position with my second as I am currently 5 months post op.  I too will go for another x-ray next month.  My toe join is still stiff as well as the area across my foot.  With my first foot I was told the same as you that I would be treated as urgent and in fact was in hospital again approx one month later.  I went under general anaesthetic again, had aggressive manipulation of the toe joint and  a steroid injection at the same time.  I came out of hospital and was told unlike the operation and having to rest, this time I was expected to do nothing but exercise, walk etc.  I returned to work one week later able to walk without limping and it was all so much better.  Try and keep your pecker up don't let yourself get down, keep looking at your lovely foot and know that at least your surgeon is on top of it and willing to help.  I am sure it won't be long before all is well.
    • Posted

Hi Rosie, I think that is the problem. We are told to rest but this causes the stiffness which is then so difficult to resolve. Surgeon never mentioned manipulation but not having an anaesthetic so I hope not! I hope it is sooner than a month, I need to be finding work. Thank you.
  • Posted

hi susan i am so sorry to hear what has  happened, to come this far and now this, susan what did you have done and did the doctor say why this has happened, i so feel for you because i am in the same sort of boat, so want the healing to be done with but its taking its time and i dont think i was one bit prepared for all this time out, i do wish you well and keep strong if you can x
    • Posted

Hi Gillee, scarf akin with tendon release. Surgeon said I should be pain free but reading this forum I think I think they are misinformed. He said I was the only one he had with this problem, mmmm! No, not prepared atall for the pain and time out. Never expected to lose my job and be in this position 6 months down the line, hence the ow mood etc. Never thought I'd be looking forward to a steroid inj (have had them in both feet and shoulders so know what to expect). Thank you.
  • Posted

Hoping that the steroid injection helps. I had one for a trigger finger and it really made a difference.  That was over a year ago.  With the bunion surgery, I am 2 weeks post op now.  Stitches are out and can finally shower easily.  I continue to ice and elevate, but am starting to do things like cooking, watering my pots outside and reading on our deck in the sun. Still a bit swollen and have a hard time moving my big toe.  But I keep trying.  I use the flat shoe to walk around the house on my heel (only) had one foot done.  They gave me a boot which I will wear tomorrow.  We plan on seeing a movie.  I was given permission to drive on Tuesday when I had stitches out and I drove to the drive through pharmacy.  That went fine.  I see progress and hope the same for you.

Judy

• Posted

WOW! You are doing so well at 2 weeks. I was in a walking boot for 6 and couldn't drive until 12. Walking has always been so painful and swelling prevented any toe mobility compounding the stiffness. Don't try to do too much tho as you can undo the good work of the surgeon. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.