6 MONTHS POST OP AND STILL IN PAIN ETC.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I am now well and truly post op 6 MONTHS. I broke my ankle in 3 places with a dislocation. I have tried to upload my X-ray but to no avail. The surgeon said it was the worse end of the spectrum regarding ankle breaks. The whole ankle was more or less shattered. The pain was much worse than giving birth and when the block wore off I was in agony and on very strong pain meds. This has been a long, hard road for me and during my visit to therapy today I broke down. I'm usually a strong person and it takes a lot for me to shed tears. I asked the young physio if I'll ever be the same and if she had seen others in my situation. I was told she had seen many ankle breaks but I was the first one she had seen which was very bad and she was going to have to speak to someone else about my situation and booked me in for next week. I have to take in my XRAYS which I had done after another fall badly hurting my FOOT. It hurt so much I thought I'd busted my foot. I called my daughter and she ran me to a local surgery for X-rays on foot and ankle. ( this all happened because a very young guy I saw at the hospital told me to go home and take off camboot and try to walk.. Hence the fall) fortunately I was told I hadn't broken my FOOT and the XRAYS did show none of the metal had moved or come away. Now I'm in very bad pain with both my foot and ankle although I did have foot pain on a lower level before the second fall. Is there anyone out there on a par with me with FOOT AND ANKLE pain after 6 MONTHS? I am limited on how far I can walk and for how long. I can't go down steps with both feet. I go down one foot at a time. The bad ankle is my right one and that goes down first. I can't squat. I get all different types of pain and can feel the 2 screw on inner ankle at times digging in, not all the time though. My ankle swells when I'm on my feet and is slightly larger than the normal ankle all the time. I at times feel off balance and take with me a walking stick to use if needed. I'm doing all my physio exercises for balance but still feel as if I'm going to fall sometimes. I'm constantly watching where I'm walking and frightened in crowds because I don't want to get bowled over. I was firmly fit, active and well. I've never taken any ongoing meds for anything. I'm 60 in May and I'm having a bone scan next week to check for osteoporosis. Everything has started to take its toll on me and my life has slowed down and I try to keep positive and have a sense of humour. I'm still not back at work due to having a full on physical job. Some days I can hardly move around the home and find myself just sat in a chair all day in pain. I get up and my foot and ankle feel as if they are crippling me. Yes it's that bad at times. I do have my good days and then think I'm on a roll with just a little pain and wham I'm in pain again. Is there anyone out there who is 6 MONTHS + who is in the same situation with a similar injury? It would be good to hear from someone who has gone through this and are a couple of years in the experience. I'm sorry for all the negative comments but it's a fact and I'm thinking positive and believe I'll come through this but right now I need answers because it's taking an emotional toll on me. Thank you for reading this everyone and I sincerely wish you all the BEST with your recovery. ( hugs )

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I am 6 months post op for the second time on the same foot. My foot swells quickly and easily, which is super frustrating! I walk the stairs one at a time and my ankle, side and bottom of the foot always feel tight. I can only be on my foot for so long before it huts and swells. This last Saturday my foot gave out from under twice in the same day and it rolled to a 90 degree angle, which caused more pain and swelling. I put the walking boot on at least once a week to give my ankle stabilization and it helps to ease the pain and swelling. I'm going back to my podiatrist on Wednesday because something is wrong and im tired of constant pain and swelling.

• Posted

Hello,

I am also 6 months out after falling off a step at home, just a freak accident. Now, a plate and 12 screws later, I'm trying to deal with my new normal. I'll be 60 next month and have always been pretty active. I used to ice skate and ski alot in younger days, but never broke a bone. My most enjoyable activity of late was walking; meet up with friends for lunch and a walk, go for dinner and a long walk, walk on bike path at lunchtime on work days, go for long walks on weekends, explore new places, walk,walk, walk anywhere, I loved it. I can absolutely relate to all I've read here and have found it helpful to know others are getting through it too. Wish my family and friends understood a little more. I guess it's true that no one can really 'get it' unless they've been through it. I still have lots of pain, taking Tylenol and Motrin daily, feels like a very tight band over the front of my ankle and extreme tightness and sensitivity where hardware almost pokes through my skin. I found some gel pads in a sock type thing online which I love, really feels protective. I bought an exercise bike which has been very good for helping me to not gain weight, since the weightbearing still hurts a lot. Im hobbling around but still not back to work yet. I also wear compression sleeves on both ankles( my other ankle also suffered an avulsion fracture at same time, uggghh) which is helpful, and necessary. I can't walk at all when barefoot. I've bought many different types of compression before finding the one that works best for me. I also soak my feet in ice water and use ice packs nightly, which does help. The massage from the PT has also been very helpful, wish I could get more of that. My dorsiflexion is still less than zero, should be 20, so I now walk like a duck. I've been starting to go out, but get very protective of myself when out in public. I love children and dogs but please don't let them knock me over! I just want to get back to life. Thanks for letting me vent. I'll just keep trying my hardest to get better. It's been quite a journey. Best of luck to all!

• Posted

hi there...im 13 weeks post surgery today...had a rt ankle trimalleolar fracture back in middle of January...jyst by turning round on flat ground to talk to a friend...slippers on too!....taken by ambulance to hospital where i had orif surgery 5 hrs later...its actually still like a dream...two plates and 15 screws later....pain and swelling really getting me down...im wearing boot wen i go out...which is not very often tbh...but using crutch around the house is so so painful...i have a lot of pain under my heel...especially on hard floors...feels constantly like theres a vice round my ankle...ive cut my dehydrocodeine down from 6 to 2 a day ....at night to help me sleep...but also take paracetamol during the day wen pain is bad...have jyst started physio last friday...and had a dexa scan yesterday for osteoporosis...i broke my left fibula 4 years ago jyst walking the dog...had one then but was all clear...im 67 now so wel see wat results show...this has changed my life completely and there are times i feel il never b the same again...luckily i have my husband with me and we live in a bungalow...but i agree with everyone...the pain and swelling are awful...my consultant has told me it cud take up to 18 mths to feel any way normal again...i cant wait to b able to drive again and not have to rely on him and my daughter..

but i believe there IS life at the end of the tunnel...amd wel all get there eventually...take care folks🙂

• Posted

hi im 9 mths post op with ankle surgary and plate, i can walk properlly , with any shoes, but still get a burning and pulling sensation, can be good all week but sore for a day, its still swallon but not a lott, i cant run or climb stairs without the aid of a banaster but getting better each day x

• Edited

Well Ms.Camboot I thought I was the only one had these problems, about a year or so ago I shattered my my ankle 3 plates 6 pins 4 major surgery's and I'm still trying to get on my feet you are I feel like something is not right like my hardware is a few sizes 2 big. ohh and it's getting 2 b fall so expect this pain to get a lot worse 😵‍💫. believe it or not after my 1st surgery I hit the ground running riding my bike, my horse and trying to keep my life in tacked I had no real pain after 3 major surgery's until September 28, 2021 my first fall day and big rain so always keep the weather in mind because it plays a super big part of your pain from now on. keep your head up and your foot too 😁 and 🐻 it. Have a great day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.