6 months post op gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

here we go i had my gallbladder removed on the 30th october 2019 its been hell since im having higher left sided pain and yellow watery stools daily what is this

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Bile acid malabsorption. IT is a lot more common than you would think. Without a gallbladder, bile is left dripping most often at night and sits in your stomach and you have the dreaded yellow the next morning sometimes all day - bile stools after every meal. find a good GP or GI who is willing to prescribe a bile acid medicine like Welchol, Questran or try psyllium husk powder. diet changes are necessary for most , no caffeine, coffee, high fat or sugary foods also stay away from heavy dairy. it may take a long time to figure out what works. I'm two years post surgery and still have to work at it. I've been using acacia fiber a teaspoon as soon as I wake up to get rid of the bile, psyllium works too. I also decided to try Welchol again. There are support groups on facebook look under BAM.

Good luck!

• Posted

Jenno

Instead of a prescription what about digestive enzymes? Might they help? Several alternative docs on Youtube and several people on this board have mentioned Ox bile. Have you any experience with these for this problem?

thx

• Posted

When my issues first started I too looked into Ox Bile, I took enzymes too, they did not help. Adding Ox Bile wont help because the yellow stools mean you have too much bile that your body is not reabsorbing on its own, so adding more bile wouldn't help. It's my understanding some with post gallbladder removal constipation may benefit from that because they may have little bile. I also get reflux from the bile I enzymes and probiotics have messed me up in the past. I would say the left side pain isn't something I had, I had more right side pain and all over stomach cramps. I would consult a GI or GP some may put you off, you may need to consult with a few, I've seen more than one.. and still don't have a concrete plan. I am in a subset of the population that have side effects from bile binders but I am trying them again at a very low dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.