6 Months Post ORIF was doing great! Now suddenly Increased pain and difficulty walking?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello! I had ORIF on my ankle after a trimalleolar fracture that resulted in emergency surgery. (They weren't able to set the ankle prior to surgery). I was in a boot for nearly 9 weeks. Was FWB after that came off and completed about 6 weeks of 2x weekly PT. I was doing great...walking up to 5 miles...back at the gym...really doing anything i wanted. I still had some discomfort and some swelling but not taking even Tylenol.

Just 5 days ago I noticed a little more stiffness in the ankle. It progressed to more pain and swelling and now I am having sharp pains at the site where my screws are on the inside of my ankle. The plate and screws on the outside really don't bother me. It's to the point where I am using a cane again to walk.

I have an appointment in a week to follow up with the surgeon (first available) but I'm beginning to wonder if I need to have the hardware removed. Why would this start now? Anyone else experience anything similar?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

yes my son went through all that pain, had them taken out and had a total replacement ankle but unfortunately the pain is still there and they are looking at what else to do now. good luck with yours.

• Posted

I had ORIF Mar 27, April 30 was told all ok and to FWB I tried and did weeks of physio 3x per week, then about 2 months ago they did a CT scan and found that the bone at the back of the ankle was still broken, there were no screws or plates put on that part, so back to NWB and put on a bone stimulator to promote healing, but I also still get that jabbing pain on the inner ankle if I do put weight on it, I believe its the screws on the inner ankle causing it, but Dr says it should be fine. I go back on the 23rd for a check up. I would be very interested what your Dr says and what treatment they recommend. Please keep me posted.

• Posted

I actually managed to get an appointment with the surgeon's PA for this afternoon. Did bloodwork this morning to check for infection. I'll let you know!

• Posted

Did you get anywhere with your appointment yesterday? Do they have an idea of what is causing the pain?

• Posted

Sorry I didn't update sooner. It appears that the medial maleous fracture either didn't heal fully and i have irritated it or refractured. There is still a clear fracture showing there.

So, in a boot for the past week, non weight bearing if needed but weight bearing in the boot as tolerated.

Will see them again tomorrow for a follow up.

• Posted

Oh no, thats not good news, hopefully staying off it will help it to heal! i wonder if they will out you in a bone growth stimulator? I see the surgeon this coming Tuesday, I hope to get some answers. I it still hurts when there is any weight on it, so frustrating! Good luck tomorrow, hopefully there is progress !

• Posted

Just an FYI, I am having surgery next week, a bone graft, plate and screws for back of the ankle that wasn't healing. They are also going to remove the screws and plate that were put in Mrch 27, so starting over...cast for another 6 weeks. I hope and pray this works finally!

• Posted

HEY,

I am not a doc but i have had something close to what you are describing. Turns out I was having a reaction to the metal in the plates and screws. My body had decided that it was a foreign body and stared to make s lot of scar tissue around the hardware. I go in next week to get everything removed since it is causing me problems.

I also had a bone spur develop in the joint of the ankle. That has also caused some ROM limitations and pain.

Like I said not a doc but maybe some food for thought.

Viv

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.