6 months post surgery and still tender/swollen

Posted , 2 users are following.

Im 40 years old and had a total abdominal hysterectomy (vertical cut) in July 2015 following a borderline tumor removal. The surgery to remove the tumor was done 7 weeks prior to the hysterectomy and the same wound was re-opened.

i did lose a bit of weight after surgery (a stone) and had not far off a flat stomach, but I've noticed my abdomen is quite prominent and rounded now, and it's very tender when touched or leaned on. The scar itself has healed nicely and it's really starting to fade now, but I'm wondering if the shape and discomfort is normal? Could it be the muscle damage inside? I should be seeing my consultant in January as he told me I've to be followed up every 6 months but be interesting to hear from others. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Firstly I'm sorry you are also going through discomfort x I also had abdominal total hysterectomy in July this year also terrible pain and discomfort, I had investigation surgery on the 22nf of this month I am still very sore but pain left of my belly button worse than ever, after my surgery my consultant advised to take away the adhesions that has formed he would need to go in vertically this time to remove them, he said to think on it and he will see me in 6 weeks? I have emailed his secretary to beg for him to do the surgery as soon as possible one to rectify the pain and secondly so I can get on with my life xxx I believe you may also have adhesions due to double surgery and you should voice your concerns to your consultant, x please let me know what he or she says xxxx Nic

• Posted

Thanks for your perspective Nic...seeing consultant in a couple of weeks so will keep you posted x
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

Happy new year x yes please do keep me posted and let me know how you get on x hopefully you get the answers you are looking for xx chin up xxx

• Posted

So I saw the consultant a couple of weeks ago for my 6month f/u appointment. I mentioned to him that I thought I might have adhesions but he said the only way to be sure was to go in and again but that could create more ... After feeling round my abdominal are he said there was a lot of 'air' and that I needed to eat more fibre. I haven't had any problems with bowels though, and being vegetarian I'd say my diet is pretty ok for fibre. He also said there was a 'defect' when he was pressing near my belly button but didn't really elaborate and didn't seem concerned. Anyways, he asked if I exercised and I told him not much bar walking and housework. The whole consultation ended with him not being concerned in the slightest which was a relief but said he would see me in another 6 months unless I had any concerns...

I'd be interested to know if anyone else had been told the same?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.