6 months post TKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am 6 months post operation and it's been quite a journey. I still get pain in the leg and around the knee and am exercising to strengthen the leg. I saw my consultant last week and mentioned the pain down my legs and that I still occasionally walk with a slight limp, he sent me for an x-ray of my hips only to find that my left hip ( same side as operated knee) is rubbing bone on bone and he feels this had been a problem for some time but not noticed as focus was on my knee. I have been referred to another consultant about this ...this could explain the pain in my leg ...to say I wasn't happy when I saw my x-rays of my hip is an understatement !Anyone else had/ having hip problems aswell as knee problems?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pennypops!

Yes, my right hip screams every so often and combines with sciatica on that same side to make life a bit more difficult especially when the weather is snowy or rainy.

I haven't reached the point of seeing my orthopedic surgeon yet, but I imagine my hip will scream more in the future!😲😩

Osteoarthritis is a real BUGGER! You get one part fixed and ANOTHER part starts up. It seems to go with the territory!

On a positive note, my neighbor, who is now FAMILY since her niece married our youngest son in 2016 ????, had BOTH hips replaced the year I had both of my knees replaced. Her hip surgeries were a piece of cake compared to knee surgery. She's doing fine and VERY happy to be pain free.

In the meantime I have been taking Ibuprofen for the hip discomfort, and it helps a lot with the arthritis pain in my LOWER BACK, too! Oh, and my index fingers and thumbs scream, too, from time to time! A never-ending story...

Gilda Radner, commedian, said it best: "It's always SOMETHING!"

• Posted

Sometimes I feel like I'm falling to bits lol...I'm 56 and my mother in law who's in her 70's is healthier than me...I work full time and can't see me leaving work in the near future as it's my employer private health insurance that has allowed me to have my knee operation ( I would of had to of waited another 5-10 years on national health) my poor husband who will be 50 this year has had to put up with a lot from me bless him ...I'm taking him to Rome for a birthday surprise, this will involve a lot of walking and I need to make sure my leg, back, hip will cope .....oh dear I seem to be moaning a lot ...

• Posted

We ALL have felt pressure to "get back to normal" following surgery! I had two C-sections and a Myomectomy (fibroid removal) in seven years back in the 80s. I thought, " How much harder can THESE surgeries be?" Answer: A LOT HARDER!!!

TRY not to compare yourself to ANYONE! We all have different challenges, different histories, different genetics. Your mother-in-law may be older than you, but she may not share any of your needs to HAVE knee surgery.

You will do what you need to do in the situation when you are in Rome. I've been there, and I think a fabulous trip like that will be GREAT mental and cultural THERAPY!

Don't worry! It will all work out! 😊

• Posted

Hi Penny, I had a something close, but different order. I had leg pain for 3 years. After xrays, I found out my left hip was bone on bone. In 2014, I had hip replacement surgery. The recovery from that was quick. 3 years later, my knee on the same side, got real bad. It made me limp, and start using a cane. Doctor said I need knee replacement. Feb. 21, 2018, I had the surgery. Now I'm 4 weeks out. Doing alright, considering how much harder this surgery is than the last. I know for sure that hips are easier to recover from than knees.

• Posted

Hi Roger, thanks for sharing your story ...I saw consultant this afternoon and yes bone on bone left hip ..he says I'm walking with my bum sticking out lol ...at least I know now why I'm still in pain ...so yes I need hip replacement and will book for a few months time ..nice to hear the operation has an easier recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.