6 months post TKR and experiencing a lot of swelling in the ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement six months ago the healing was really fast out of the gates I've been since having trouble with my tendon healing some pain in my knee but the last 3 weeks I've been experiencing a fair amount of swelling I've pulled back on my exercising and walking because of the pain and the tendon but now I'm experiencing the swelling mostly in my foot and ankle I don't know why any ideas??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had gotten a knee injury almost a year ago with no tkr or pkr at all but have been dealng with swollen feet & ankles as well shins of legs ever since this all happened, It is yet this day a challenge to try & walk having to use a walker so in your case I hope & pray it all goes back to normal doctors don't have ideas of what is going on they are just concerned they get paid for doing nothing to help...

hope & pray for your recovery God bless

• Posted

Are you able to ask your hospital Kristin?  I really don't know, but just wonder if walking with a slightly different gait might have caused it.  Have you tried ice and elevation?

• Posted

Thank you for your comment yes I have called the clinic then want me to come right in, and have an ultrasound. they were concerned for a blood clot, apparently that's more common for women. I did not want to do that because I thought it was a gut reaction on their part. I called and spoke to my doctors assistant in person. they want me to have some blood labs run for high blood pressure potassium calcium electrolytes etc. i The doctor seems toThink I might have high blood pressure and that could be causing the swelling because when I wake up in the morning the swelling hasn't gone down totally just slightly

• Posted

This doesn't sound a straightforward issue Kristin, so I would get the tests done that they're suggesting because a blood clot is life threatening, but if your blood pressure is really high you need that sorted too, so I think by hook or by crook you're going to need to get this checked.

• Posted

Thank you for you're concern! I am going to my dr to have the labs checked, and go from there. I don't believe it's blood clots. I have absolutely no evidence that it is, im young and active. No long car rides or stationary lifestyle. Nothing that would point towards it. I do believe it was a knee jerk reaction from my ortho doc. They just want to cover their butt and they don't care about cost in all the extra testing. It feels and seems more for them , so they don't have to worry.

• Posted

Ah, right - yes, it sounds less likely.  You get heat and redness with a blood clot as well, don't you?  But hopefully they can find out what the problem is easily and sort it for you:-)

• Posted

Hi Kristin

I also have swelling in my ankle & foot & was told swelling in the leg & foot, after TKR, can last for up to a year. Have you still been doing your ankle rotations & toe lifts when you are sitting down? I was told that was it was important to keep on doing those even as you become more mobile.

I have a condition, PTM, which causes swelling of the feet & lower legs & wear compression hosiery. But the ankle of my operated knee is more swollen than the other, the foot not so much.

Are you on your feet a lot? As that also causes feet & ankle swelling & with the after effects of TKR surgery may be a reason??

If they think you have high blood pressure, has no one measured your blood pressure?In the U.K. It is routinely done in the GP surgery by the one of the Practice Nurses. They generally check for a month (depending on levels) & will maybe fit you with a 24 hour monitoring device. I have found my Systolic pressure can sometimes be a little high, but not regularly.

It's a very good idea to get your bloods done, it cannot hurt & a full blood work up can tell a lot about your base health levels.

If you are really worried maybe make an appt to see your GP & talk it over, they know YOU more & may be able to allay your fears.

Just a few suggestions.

Keep in touch

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.