6 months since THR

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I am coming up on 6 months since my right THR . As I have said before my recovery couldn't have gone any better as far as i can tell however there are a few things that although i thought I was back to full strength and fitness i just wasnt quite there for quite a while. I started tentative running/light jogging again after week 4, yes maybe somewhat churlish, and yes understand the risks . But i progressed steadily back up to my 10k norm but this was definitely taking more out of me than before surgery . It wasnt until about 4 weeks ago I felt that I could progress to further distances and did a 16k run and then a half marathon distance Saturday past . It felt great to actually push harder and longer than I have ever done . At no stage was my hip sore then or since mind you my feet and calfs were a bit tender. In essence be kind to yourself the journey will take a lot out of you but there is light and the end of the tunnel .

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi Keith,

brilliant read... well done...

can I ask when you go back in the driving seat of a car?

vickie

• Posted

vickie

right or wrong it was 3 weeks with no issues. maybe if it was my left leg and clutching all the time it may have been different . Ours is an SUV type so slightly higher. when I went back to work at 5 weeks I got a hire car and they were slightly lower which made it difficult for about a week or so then just became norm

• Posted

Hi Keith, good to get an update, glad all is going well. I'm 4wks post op now and getting there. As ever, an inspirational read.

Having done marathons myself and cycling to work everyday, I'm still content taking the time to heal at a more casual pace. No hip pain, but operated side is still quite tender, presumably my muscles are still trying to figure out what the hell happened when they were pushed aside in the op, lol.

I'm gonna leave it until the 12wk mark before going near a bike and I can't get my head round running again. I guess it's the thought of impact damage over time on the new joint. What's your opinion on that? Are you worried running regularly on the new hip will reduce the longevity of it?

I was talking to my physio in the hospital yesterday, and he said to try running on sand (I live near miles of sandy beaches) or grass/treadmill but avoid tarmac.

But, it's not his hip, it's mine and I can't help but feel inclined to stick to non impact CV going forward (cycling, swimming, cross trainer in gym etc) for the obvious effect of impact damage over time.

• Posted

Mart

I had my op through BUPA and I choose the surgeon for his speciality and when I met him he asked me what I wanted to do after surgery . I told him to return to running . He didnt bat an eyelid and said no problem at all and best combination of stem,ball etc chosen . We discussed the fact that a lot of advice on the what not to do after surgery was based on the early years of surgery and people well over 60 . Some of the what not to do to me at the time seemed archaic . I am no trail blazer and dont want to be having the hip rule my life and is a wonderful gift I know . The one thing the surgeon said is that if people had never run and were overweight he would always advise caution after surgery and not to take it up as the muscles would not be conditioned for it. I am not for one minute advising anyone to do what I did . I look at my hip like a car engine you can molly cuddle it like a child washing it and cleaning it and watching every bump in the road then some idiot blind sides you and it's a wreck. Or you are metaphorically a petrol head ,race everywhere rev it to death and remark when you sell it that it never gave you any problems . I hope all goes well in your recovery .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.