6 months with no diagnosis. Headaches, muscle spasms, feeling drunk, extreme fatigue. Help!

Posted , 8 users are following.

My husband started having headaches, memory loss and extreme fatigue 6 months ago. It literally started with no trauma or incident. Like just switching a light switch. He took no medication prior to this and was in PERFECT health. He is 40. We have had MRI’s, multiple lumbar punctures, blood work several EEG’s, blood work, MRV and sleep studies. All are negative. They told us migranes and depression? They started him on nortriptilyne (?) and lexapro. It didn’t help. As a matter of fact 2 weeks ago he started with muscle contractions so severe at night that is contorts him into a fetal position and he screams until it releases. This goes on for hours. He began hallucinating last week and the tremors for lack of a better word have now progressed to the day hours as well. He has an episode of urinary incontinence last week and we went to the ER. He goes to Mayo Clinic and he seen every neurologist there. They said he developed serotonin syndrome and took him cold turkey off his meds. We are back at square one but the spasms and tremors have not resolved since the stopping of the medication a week ago. We had another Lumbar puncture yesterday but will have no results for 3 -4 weeks because they send it to New York for testing.  Has ANYONE had anything similar or even heard of anything like this. We are desperate and beyond exhausted beyond belief. He can’t work and has went from perfectly healthy and active and full of life to a shell with possibly 2 days max a week he can even get out of bed from the fatigue alone. Please anything you can lend in advice will be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It could possibly be lyme or coinfections? Or mold toxicity? It may be worth seeing a Lyme literate doctor. They have tests for both. The labs they use are much more accurate, so even if he was negative on regular blood tests, he still may have it? Just a thought. I was having weird symptoms and all my bloodwork was fine. I went to a Lyme literate doctor and found out I have bartonella. 
    • Posted

He was tested for Lyme disease and meningitis and encephalitis. I am not sure what else the panel covered. However, on the mold suggestion, we thought of this as well. He has no pulmonary issues at all. Not even a cough. He doesn’t smoke or drink. I mean literally in perfect health prior to this.  We are definitely going to look at this path. Thank you so much for you reply.  
  • Posted

Mass General in Boston. The best.
    • Posted

We may have to explore that. We are in North Florida so Mayo in Jacksonville was our closest option. We have MD Anderson in Tampa as well we could drive to as well. With him not working and me unable to work full time because of appointments, it makes money tough. When it comes to the ones I love, I will definitely figure it out. Thank you so much !
  • Posted

So sorry to hear your husband (and therefore your whole family) is suffering like this. I can only suggest that you and he think carefully about what he does at work or leisure and where he had been prior to the onset of these dreadful symptoms. There are some awful poisons in our environment which have unknown effects on people,
    • Posted

thank you so much. We are starting a detox diet. We see a nutritionist this week actually. Keeping our finger crossed 
  • Posted

It could be mold or heavy metal toxicity for sure. But, It could also be Lyme disease and it's co-infections as well. Even if he was tested and it came back negative it could still mean he has it. Unfortunately, Tests for Lyme are highly inaccurate. Especially, if you aren't tested ASAP. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. We have an appt this week so I will mention it.  This forum is amazing thank you so much!
  • Posted

hello how is your husband doing ? hope he is doing much better.

• Posted

he is actually no better than before we are in a holding pattern for more testing due to financial constraints. its a sad situation

• Posted

thank you for replying. I'm sorry. I hope you find an answer soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.