6 week cast and now no boot, feels wrong but is that normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Oblique fibular fracture on 26th May, no operation, just a cast for 6 weeks and today the consultant sent me on my way with no cast, no walking boot and no x-Ray. Hurray! But I can't help but feel really scared - what if my ankle hasn't healed and now I'm walking on a broken ankle with no support? It hurts on the break when I try flexing my foot, and I can't find any forum posts with people not getting a walking boot for two weeks first. I'm 30 and very active (but pretty heavy at just under 12 stone), so maybe that's why, but I'd love to hear from someone who also had a cast for six weeks followed by no walking boot - or anyone who can reassure or suggest to me what I should be doing, he was not particularly forthcoming with the advice about crutches/weight bearing. Thank you all! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I totally get your worries but first let me start by saying they're unfounded. Why? Firstly, the only animals that need fibulas for full weight bearing activity are hares, rabbits and horses /donkey type animals. Humans don't need fibulas for bearing body weight since they support only 10 to 15% of body weight. An oblique fibula fracture is one that occurs just above what most people consider their outer side ankle bone, however this is not the ankle but rather the end of the fibula bone. Your ankle joint is actually your tibiotalar joint. Your body weight is more than supported by your tibia (shin bone). 6 weeks in a cast will have been sufficient time to heal the fibula fracture. It's a pretty thin bone but in the grand scheme of bearing your body weight is actually not something to worry about.

I hope that helps a bit.

• Posted

My doc said no chance of walking w/o a boot for a few awhile after healing, told it's not wise or recommended. No, not every fibula fracture heals at 6 weeks, I'm at 14 weeks Thursday. As of 10 weeks, no callous had formed and been seen on xray.  I'm following up tomorrow, hopefully there's some progress  in there. I personally would feel uncomfortable knowing I was cleared w/o seeing a final X-ray showing me. You could always buy the boot yourself if the pain is too intense just yet to walk.

• Posted

Your doctor is great - apparently mine had me walking out of there with no support on a still broken leg according to the A&E doc I finally got an X-ray from today. So thank you! Your messages gave me the confidence to go back in, I knew something was wrong. Got a boot now and awaiting a physio appointment! 

• Posted

Good for you, followed your instinct. My first surgeon was an awful, arrogant, piece of you know what. At 6 weeks I had enough and found a surgeon to follow me until the end. I actually got cleared today to wobble a little in my boot, lol. I have PT next week. Damn that took forever! Great luck to you, I'm sure you are on right track now.

• Posted

And did he recommend physical therapy? You are going to be super stiff if you don't start stretching it out to get range of motion back. Although I'm not weight bearing yet, I'm wiggling and stretching, just to gain than motion back. 

• Posted

I had a non unionised fractured fibula and was told it didnt matter as it is non weight bearing bone. However years later I had huge problems. Please if it feels wrong get it looked at. Exercise it gently and listen to your body. Pain is a good indicator of it being wrong. However stiffness and swelling is normal. Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for your response! Especially the bit about the problems later, which is actually my biggest worry. I have the time now to make sure this doesn't affect my movement based career in future. Decided to go to A&E this morning - I was right. Bone hadn't healed as much as it should and I was essentially walking on a broken leg. Now have a walking boot and an appointment with the previous doctor who was not great and belittled me when I asked for an x-Ray so thanks again, your post gave me confidence to go back in. 

• Posted

So glad you got it checked. I walked on a broken Fibula for 30 years as they said it didn't matter and I ended up with ankle replacement and 10 years later ankle fusion, tibial nail and bone graft.

Plus a lot of pain on the way. I did not want to scare you but just wanted you to get it checked even though people say it is OK as it isn't weight bearing.

Good luck and always always question anything. I have learned we know our body better than anyone.

Happy my response helped in a small way

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.