6 week check today

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well i went for my 6 week check today.

Been told im healing well but still have to use atleast one crutch at all time so no full weight baring. Still not allowed to bend but other than that I can do as I please.

Had my first bath tonight and it was literalling the best feeling ever.

Im going to go to the local swimming baths on Friday with my fiance. Not going to swim per say but i am going to try water walking and maybe gice a little swim a go. For the first time in my adult life I finally have adult muscles after the doctor lengthened them for me so have a lot of physio and exercise to get in to strengthen then. Im now awaiting a letter to attend physio aswell.

I did mention that the feeling hasnt came back in my left leg properly (operated one) it feels like i have pins and needles and im dragging a tooth pick over the skin whenever i touch it or anything. It is literal torture to feel it. Anyone else have this problem?

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Couldn't get any better Sarah, your moving forward, the best way to go. enjoy many more bathsbiggrin
  • Posted

Wow Sarah - lots of great news and firsts! Super.

Your plans for the pool sound very sensible .. I love being in the pool even though I truly suck at swimming. Seriously, it is one of my great defeats - I can swim for a while as long as nothing happens to distract me or my rhythy. When that happens I just flounder - very, very embarrassing (and yes, sadly I've had lessons).

What did the surgeon say about the pins and needles? Any advice or prognosis?

So glad to hear your good news and hoping all goes well through your exams.

Xxx

L

• Posted

He seemed quite annoyed when i mentioned the feeling in my leg hadnt came back and said they do nerve checks throughout the surgery so he didnt say much.

Im also disapointed to see i still cannot bend my left leg inwards so still wont be able to put my socks on, paint/cut my toe nails and so on. I thought i would be able to bed the leg in nkw after the surgery because iv never been able to but appears i cant. I aas told i cannot bend my leg behind my back now incase of dislocation but thats the only way iv ever been able to put my socks on. Im rather frustrated about it xx

• Posted

I am really struggling with the idea of your surgeon being annoyed at you mentioning the nerve pain in your leg. I sort of 'get' that their schedules are rushed, but seriously this was a major operation (more than most of us experience by far). He really should be able to make enough time to talk it through with you.

Re putting on socks ... Hhhmmm ... could you be possibly be a little optimistic? I just started managing this three weeks ago (so 12 weeks post op) and I had a straight forward THR. I suspect your recovery could be a wee bit more complicated and might take longer for some of the folding and bending required for this task.

Looking forward to hearing from you once you are 'the other side of your exams'.

Good luck ( first one tomorrow ...)? No crossing your legs - I have that covered for you.

Xox

• Posted

He didnt even ask me if i had any questions. He was aboyt to walk out and i had to stop him.

Im a little worried as i cant reach my feet bending forward, iv always put my left sock on bending my leg behind my back because i leg was never physically able to bend inwards like normal and it still isnt now so its another issue. But he told me i cant put my leg behind my back because that causes dislocation. Im upset by this because i thought after op id be able to put my own socks on but clearly not.

I feel the exam went very well, managed to write an answer for every single question xx

• Posted

Hey Sarah,

Sorry, haven't been around the forum much lately, real life keeps gettig in the way lol.

I still struggle to put my socks on leaning forwards.  I can do it putting my leg behind my back, and I've done that since just a couple of weeks post op.  I don't know if it's the difference in our operations that makes it more risky for you, but I haven't had any problems.

Take care hun,

Cels Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.