6 week check up and still have -5 extension

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone, I had my 6 week check up on Thursday. I was dreading it as I knew I was not at full extension and about 95 degree bend. The surgeon did not seem worried by the fact that I was still -5 and only 95 ROM. He said it was early days and I will get there. I suppose I should be thankful that he did not put any pressure on! Anyway, is this normal? I was extremely fit before operation and had full use of leg right up to day of op so I had expected a quick speedy recovery. I have really struggled and only feel that in the last week I am getting somewhere. I am not allowed to give up my crutches at the moment and have been told I can drive and ride horses when I feel ready which I know will still be a few weeks. Has anyone been at these levels at 6 weeks and now have a good ROM? I suppose I am regretting my decision to operate and need reassurance.

I must say that without this group I think I would have given up by now!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I was the same as you at six weeks, not quite so good actually, I’m 3months now straight leg and a 110d rom, slower than my other knee which I had done 5months earlier. Keep doing the exercises it will come, it differs greatly with everybody, if u keep doing the exercises it will happen, I’ve still a way to go and like you feel despondent at times, we just have to keep going, I still have swelling so think I still must be healing, I personally feel that until fully healed and no swelling the best measurements are to come.

keep smiling😀😀😀😀

• Posted

I was 85 degrees at 7 weeks the consultant has given me up to January 4th to show an improvement. Last measurement was on Thursday and that was 85 but I'm sure I've had it better than that. Having physio now 3 times a week and really concentrating on ROM exercises determined not to have manipulation. I'll let you know how I get on 

• Posted

Hi, I’m 10 weeks post TKR and have really struggled with ROM. Saw consultant at 7 weeks when I was at 85, he said to keep going as I really don’t want an MUA, and, NO I DON’T! Been going up gradually and now 100 at last measure.  Keep going...don’t lose hope. 
  • Posted

At the six week alignment check, I was -5 / +98.  That was three weeks into PT.  I finished 10 weeks of PT at -1 / +123.  Give it time.
  • Posted

Like you, this forum had been my life saver ! I am now 15 weeks, like you, fit and able before and thought it would be a doddle, and being in my 50's, but have struggled. At 6 weeks I was so depressed because everything that was normal was now so different and some people seemed to have progressed far more quickly. Anyway, eventually it all came back and I am out walking with hubby and spaniel, up hill and down dales and last week I did 8 miles and 18,800 steps which I could never see myself doing again. You will get there and will ride horses again, my aim is to ski in March, that is my ultimate goal. Also, I was still using two crutches at 6 weeks then down to one, only drove at 7 weeks. Good luck.

• Posted

Skiing........  Unless you want to rip up your new knee I'd reconsider your decision to do this without a major-league brace.  The problem is torque...the twisting of the knee.  You will need something that will keep your knee in a straight line position and NOT allow it to twist.  I am looking into getting back on skates and trying some LIGHT skiing.

Called the Donjoy company, #1 in the world.  Spoke to them and my local rep telling them my plans.  Of all their braces, their Defiance model was recommended to keep my knee safe why doing these activities (pic attached).  Some of their off-the-shelf variations go for a few hundred dollars US; the full-blown custom fit one is about $900.  The choice is to protect your knee and have it last 25 years, or ignore the precaution and rip it up in three.  Everyone makes their own choices...

• Posted

Thanks Chico, I have valued your knowledge and advice through this forum, you are so dedicated. The reason for returning to skiing is that we have our own apartment in Bulgaria and flights were booked before my knee rep, I shall go and see how I fair and I WILL be extremely nervous. I am looking into a good knee brace prior to going. Incidentally , my husband had a PKR 5 years ago and I know they are different, but he has skied every year since. Thanks for the advice on Donjoy, they came up in !my searches. Good luck wiutn your skates.
    • Posted

I'd call them and get the # of my local rep ASAP.  I wouldn't put on skates or skis without one specifically designed to prevent the twisting of the knee.  Please don't take any chances.

• Posted

Evening, am finding this group reassuring. I’m 3 weeks in tomorrow. I managed to get 45 degree ROM today. This is progress for me as left hospital with 0! Will keep plodding on. This forum has demonstrated how different everyone’s journey is. 

• Posted

Is m54 and had a tor may 31st. Atb6 weeks I was 89 and 5. 10 weeks 95 and 5. 12 weeks had a manipulation. Lasted week. The pa for thensirgeon just said it happens. That was not acceptable. They blamed my body for scar tissue. Went to my primary for help and he said enough of this. Went on steroids for a week. Stoped all of and that was the best thing I did. Use less is cream for pain and now I am about 110 and 0. I say give it time

• Posted

Sorry for spell check. Stopped all pt at 13 weeks. Used pensaid cream for pain. Now at 110 . Steroids for a week got the swelling under control

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.