6 week post op update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all just had my 6 week check up after laparoscopic Heller Myotomy with partial 

fundoplication and along with my surgeon I am absolutlely delighted with the results.Was in some slight discomfort for the first week but after soft diet was quickly progressing to meat and veggies no pain anywhere I have regained my life and am able to eat anything comfortably and sleep without interuptions, regurgitations etc lying flat instead of being propped up all night ,I have not had any problems with reflux at all and only two or three of those horrible spasms but no where near as severe or often as previous over time these should stop altogether .I cannot thank and recommend enough ,Mr Rob Bohmer and the whole team from addmission nurses ,theater nurses,anesthetists to recovery crew to ward staff at both The Royal Hobart Hospital and Hobart Private in Tasmania for their care and expertise while I was being treated .Just to let everyone know that there is light at the end and in my case its only been about 2 years ---18 months from GP referral for tests to surgery and back to being normal once again .My surgeon said this procedure should see me out at my age 70 here's hoping ,good luck to you all and I can only wish for you all to find a crew as good as I was blessed with .So good to be able to eat socially again ,without looking for a toilet to vomit, and to get a good nights sleep is great.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

That's great! I had same procedure done in 2012 and It was a life saver! Only in the last 6 months I have developed gastroparesis. I feel like the whole disease is moving from my esophagus to my stomach and now my intestines. I hope this doesn't happen to you! Much successs. 

• Posted

Like you I had the procedure done in 2014 but last year I developed the same symptoms as you. Thankfully I have a wonderful consultant who has put me in Botox injections every 6 months which has been my life saver. I am more careful what I eat & ensure I chew everything to nothing, I do still ha e some problems every now & again  but I have found a glass of milk helps, thanks to someone who posted on this site. 

• Posted

Hi Cathie. Where do you have the Botox injections done? I mean where on your body? Ever since I had surgery I can deal with my esophagus issue, it's this gastroparesis and constipation that I am finding very hard to live with. My GI doctor retired and I now have a new one. I like him, but I just feel like something more can be done.  Maybe it's just my frustration with the disease??

• Posted

On holiday so sorry only just read your message.  I have the Botox in the the oesophagus (I am put out under anaesthetic). I did suffer with constipation so I have weetabix and flax seeds & kiwi fruit which seems to work. I am due the Botox in 2 weeks & I am suffering a bit now so being 100% careful. drinking milk & my hubby is a great help patting my back at the same time as I am doing the front. Eventually it clears, I am exhausted & go to bed with hot water bottle on my chest. All seems to help. Sadly I delayed the Botox as away on hols. Wish you well but I have got to say the Botox definitely works. 

• Posted

Hi Cathie. I am unfamiliar with weetabix?? Yes, I had Botox in esophagus a few years ago and it worked, but eventually opted for Heller Myotomy. Having support from hubby is so important. Mine is so helpful and I think is more scared than I when those horrible chest pains start! I am new to this type of forum and am wondering if you or others have not just pain in your chest, but in your stomach and/or back? Hope you enjoyed your holiday.
    • Posted

Weetabix is a breakfast cereal in the UK where I live. 

I do suffer with pains in my chest & back, not the stomach. 

I found this site so helpful especially when first diagnosed as I felt so depressed and alone. This site has been so supportive & helpful. 

• Posted

This sounds fantastic, so pleased for you. 

Where did you have this done for the record? 

Many thanks.

• Posted

hi  all my tests and procedures were done at The Royal Hobart Hospital here in Tasmania Australia all done through the public system using private and public personnel 
    • Posted

Hi, I practically live on Weetabix,  it was a firm favourite in the family home when I was growing up. Here in the UK some have them with cold milk, fruit on or, honey. My personal favourite is with hot milk and, sugar as you can have it as almost soup if you add enough milk. I think it is called Oatibix in the US. I find it very comforting and, it contains fibre also. Take care
  • Posted

Well done, you are now doing really well but do still be careful what you eat & chew slowly. I have cut out bread completely as that causes me so many problems. I wish you all the best

• Posted

Hello, this is amazing to hear. I’m so very pleased that everything went well. You must be elated 😊 I can not wait to finally get my surgery over and, done with. They want to try one last dialatation before the last resort of an oesopegetomy but, oh that feeling of being normal feels a long way away for me at the moment. I’ve just had a 3 day stay in hospital due to dehydration, but, your post has made my day. Good job 👍 

• Posted

It’s WONDERFUL to see these updates, and to read you are doing well!! Thank you for sharing and hoping for continued healing for you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.