6 week update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

Thought I'd update my progress, might be of benefit to any newbies just starting taking Citalopram.

I have been taking it for just over 6 weeks for anxiety/panic/depression, 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for the rest of the time.  In the past I have taken Seroxat a few times for varying lenghts of times, this is a well documented drug for the hardness coming off it so my GP won't prescribe it anymore.  The benefits I found with that drug was that after 3 weeks of hell it instantly worked, no build up.  This time around on Cit I've found things frustratingly slow, it's been quite a shock for me to find that I'm still not "normal".

On a more positive note my anxiety and panic cannot even be compared to what it was before I started taking this.  After around 3 weeks I found my mood was considerably better and the anxiety started to die down.  Last week (week 5) in particular I found that at work I really noticed a difference.  I really struggle sitting still with anxiety and restlessness which I am sure alot of you will also experience.  I still have bad days but even these aren't as bad as they were before.  I was having to walk endless miles to try and calm myself down, now I find I can get on with what I'm doing despite the anxiety.  Also a big change is that I can make plans for the weekend etc, see friends.  Before I wouldn't have for fear I would have to cancel because of how I was feeling.

For any ladies out there I have found this week because I have PMT particularly hard, my mood is low (it doesn't cure everything!) so hence my anxiety is slightly raised but I'm managing.  I have an ongoing issue with insomnia which I'm hoping will calm down shortly and I know as the weeks go on I should hopefully improve more and more.  

So any of you just starting out it can be frightening to start with but it does get better and improve so HANG IN THERE!!!!

Louise xx

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

I've found the same as you. It took 6wks on 20mg for me to feel better but now I just feel OK within myself and much more in control.

I had some very uncomfortable side effects such as upset tummy, severyly increased anxiety, insomnia (resulting in 1-2hrs sleep and panic attacks around 3am) in the first 4wks but they settled down after sticking with it. I have also changed to taking it at night time and that has solved the insomnia.

I'm feel OK and in control now so the issues in the early weeks were worth the trouble for me. Glad I stuck with it!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there g39280 I read your update and I am about the same as you. I have had no issues with cit.except upset tummy. I also take my pill late on the night and sleep like a log.but as soon as I take it my stomach rumbles, it started to worry me as I was going to the loo quite a bit.are you ok now ?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi I have been on Citalapram for 2 weeks and have tummy upsets every day. My anxiety is increased and the insomnia is awful, i am so restless. I have panic attacks mainly in the morning. What time do you take your dose in the evening, i have been taking it just before bed, do you think i would be better to take it earlier. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I still get it sometimes. I'd say every 2wks or so but it's usually only 1 day so it's tolerable for me. I have no trouble straight after taking but it's usually when I wake up the next morning and can feel it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Mine was every day for about 2-3wks I think. It was very unpleasant the first 3-4 days but gradually got better. My panic attacks also reduced over time but since switching to nights 2wks ago I sleep like a log until 5-6am.

I usually take mine around 6-7pm at the moment so it has time to digest a bit before I go to sleep. That probably doesn't matter but I figure if anything is going to happen I'd rather not be woken up by it.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up