6 weeks after TURP

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am in the 6th week after TURP surgery and Everything seems to be going okay, the only problem I really have is a slight discomfort at the end of urination. I have not seen any blood for a week but the burning feeling at the end of urinating started about the same time. Its not real bad but wonder how long will it go on? Any opinions or experience?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The burning will go away.  Your urethra was streatched pretty good and is still revovering from the procedure.  Things are pretty raw in there and it does take time.  I had TURP 11/16, it took a good bit of time to get over the burning.  Hope it all goes well for you
  • Posted

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on what appears to be a good result! I'll start by saying I don't know a lot about TURP but I do know a bit about how the urinary system works. My guess is that the  slight discomfort you're feeling at the end of urination is referred pain from the prostate, probably because it's still raw, as it's only been six weeks.  Either that or from the urethra perhaps from catheters. Of course check with your doc.

-- Jim

• Posted

Like joe said. Doc told me there's alot of stretching from the procedure and that Cath. Sometimes you can also get some scar tissue form towards the tip of the penis. Doc told me that's the usual place it forms. If it continues, tell doc about it. Doc told me he could take care of it easily.

• Posted

Scar tissue from the catheter is my experience. If you squeeze the tip of your penis, you might feel an orb or sphere like structure right at the opening.  You might also find that your urine stream is split or more like a spray than a straight stream.  Look up meatal stenosis.  Most of what you will find there is on children, but that is the condition for which you might research your issue.   In my case, the catheter caused a lot of irritation right at and just inside the urethral opening.  As that heals, scaring develops and it narrows the opening causing the burning during urination.  It is literally restricting urine flow.  They can dilate or strecth it with a plastic tube and they can cut it open in extreme cases.  

I know, you've been through quite enough poking and prodding and things being put up your penis.  Ironic that the surgery you have undergone to help with urination causes another, albeit minor, condition that restricts urine flow.  If that is your condition, it is not that big a deal.  Wish you well.

• Posted

Hi paul0120,

I underwent TURP 1 year ago. I still having burning feeling if I hold a while.

I also haveing dripping problem and I still have to use my wife's sanitary pads in case of an accident.

I think your problems will go off in a few months.

I wish you luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.