6 weeks and feel worse than ever

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I've been on Celexa (what it's called here in Canada) for 6 wks and feel absolutely horrible. Nauseous, jittery, jumpy, scared, depressed, intrusive thoughts, pressure in my ears. I was feeling better around the 4-5 week mark but now this. I feel like I'm in hell. The panic attacks have stopped however, my heart is always racing and I feel scared of everything most of the day. Mornings are the worst. I wake up feeling absolute dread for my life.

I would like to urge all of you to youtube Monkey Mind by Mingyur Rinpoche. He is a monk that used to suffer from panic attacks. He gives me so much comfort and because of him, I feel like I can calm myself out of a full blown panic attack. Panic is a misunderstood response to a physical reaction. If you feel your heart pound, you feel scared even though you don't understand why. The panic comes from telling yourself you are going crazy or are going to die. If you can just allow yourself to feel something physically uncomfortable and know that your body is just a bit upset, you won't need to tell yourself you are crazy or dying. Also read The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook which explains the same thing.

Does anyone else feel as horrible as me?

Love to you all. We are all warriors fighting this nasty illness.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been on the drug Citalopram...generic version of Celexa since mid-January for anxiety and mild depression. I did not experience the increase in anxiety that others speak of. Maybe it was a bit more heightened but not to the levels others are said to have but for about 4 weeks starting at around week 6 my depression got really bad to the point I just had to force myself to get up and do what needed to be done otherwise I would have just layed in bed. At about the 12 week point a light just seemed to come on for me and I began to feel normal again. I have gone through a dosage increase since then and had about 2 weeks of side effects to get through but when all is said and done I would gladly go through with it again. The only way I know to describe the way I was before Citalopram is to compare it to Jekyll and Hyde. One minute I was my normal self then the next I was a raving lunatic biting someone's head off for no reason at all. I even called my doc a couple of times wanting to change meds or add something to take along with the Citalopram and he said " no, just hang in there. It takes a while for Citalopram to start working so just give it time. " I am now at about the 7 month point and can't even begin to think of life without it. I plan to continue taking it for as long as my doctor will allow.

• Posted

There's always empathy and reassurance reading a similar story to oneself Ellen 🌻

This was my second time so I knew it would work but you doubt it don't you.

I have been on 20mg ....again....since Jan 

• Posted

Hi I am in Canada too (Toronto) I was the same as you at 6 Weeks +++ experienced all that you are describing. I am at 5 months now and finaly starting to feel better. Many times I felt like giving up and trying something else but I feared the potential withdrawal of stopping Celexa  and the startup symptons of another med so I just battled thru every day and came to this forum for support and reassurance. 

My only advise is to stay with it. It does get better but it takes time.  Certainly took some time for me anyway. Many feel better quickly, for some it just takes longer. 

Mornings were especially horrible for me. I used to dread waking up. Without a doubt the worst side effect for me. However it did eventually resolve.

Hang in and push thru a day at a time you will get better I promise. Message me anytime if you have questions. SHANE 🍁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.