6 weeks in

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Been on the tablets for 6 weeks now and i have lost a stone. :D Just have 4 to go !!.

Has anyone got any nice easy recipes for chicken or fish (i dont eat red meat often sometimes mince if i do) but i want to do something different, getting board of just chicken and veg ! chicken and rice ! i could do with some ideas.

Its not so much the quantity of food, but the quality, if its bland and boring then i find myself craving something else.

I had weight watchers sausages for tea, someone recommended them on here, they were really nice, i was pleasantly surprised.

Well my bluey buddies hope you are all well and losing weight, keep up the good work. And keep posting your tips and stories, they keep me going.

Take care all

Tilly xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This get's 10/10 from everyone in my household

Chicken and Potato Bake.

10g fat per serving . serves 4., make sure you do serve 4 freeze some if needs be.

Prep time 10mins Cooking time 1 1/4 hrs

Ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil/ spray

4 lean chicken breasts

bunch spring onions

12oz's carrots sliced

4 1/2 oz'a green beans sliced

1 pint chicken stock

12oz new potatoes

fresh herbs

salt and pepper

2 tbsp cornflour

2-3 tbsp cold water

1. heat oil in large flame proof casserole dish and gently fry chicken breasts 5-8 minutes until brown on both sides.

Remove the chicken breasts when browned and leave to one side.

2. Add spring onions, carrots and green beans to casserole dish and gentle fry for 3-4 minutes.

3. Return chicken to casserole dish and pour in the stock. Add potatoes and herbs. Season and bring to the boil. Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake in preheated oven 190c/375f/ Gas mark 5 for 40-50 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

4. Blend the cornflour with the cold water. Add to the casserole stirring until blended and thickened. Cover and cook for a further 5mins.

Serve and enjoy.

Do you know what is going to happen when you reach your goal, will the Dr still prescribe the tablets to you for a while ?

• Posted

Not exactly recipes but just easy tips/ideas... (I'm a single mum of three so it's good if I can do things that we can all eat).

With potatoes I often boil a pan of potatoes, drain and then mix them in a bowl with loads of mint sauce. We eat them warm with 'dinner', but left to cool it's a great alternative to a potato salad covered in mayonnaise.

With potatoes another good one is to chop the potatoes into wedges and sprinkle with something to flavour before sticking in the oven. Our faves are chilli powder or curry powder!

I often cook various fish in the microwave. It cooks lovely and kinda steams it so it's healthy. A fillet on a plate takes approx 2mins.

Sometimes I make a fish pie by throwing some sweetcorn and veg in with the fish and covering with mash. I either poach the fish in a pan in skimmed milk (with the veg), before putting in a dish, adding potato and putting in the oven. Sometimes I cook it in the microwave before adding some instant low fat parsley sauce and moving to the oven etc.

Re. the microwave, if I'm doing a minced beef based dish, I put the mince (say 1lb), in the microwave and zap it on full for 5 mins and then take it out and pour all the fat off! You can then add your other ingredients and carry on cooking in the micro or move it to the oven/hob for regular cooking. It's amazing how much fat comes off.

Other low fat foods I enjoy with the kids:

mirangue (nice with berries etc)

low fat jelly

crumpets

jaffa cakes

rice cakes

A pud using chopped up apples, zapped in the microwave, add raisins and cinnamon. Can add low fat custard (great for using up older apples).

I love soups too. Carrot and ginger is easy. Also a bag of frozen peas with mint is an easy soup.

• Posted

well done tillydoll you're doing brillant. 8)

I cook loin pork chops or steak in the oven by putting foil in the bottom with enough foil to wrap over the top (leaving plenty of space between the chops and the foil)

Drizzle olive oil onto the bottom of the foil, add the chops/steak drizzle a bit more of the olive oil over the chops/steaks,

Sprinkle some chopped peppers, onions and mushrooms on top ( use frozen ones already prepared and cheap, no waste)

Scrunch the foil up to make a 'tent'

Cook in the oven on 160 degrees

I usually serve with mashed potatoes, vegetables, yorkshire puddings and gravy for the rest of the family and a jacket potato, veg and gravy for me. I haven't tried it with chicken but should taste just as good.

Feeling really thick :oops: but don't know how to work the fat content of such meals so tend not to take a bluey? How can you work out fat quantity???

• Posted

thank you for that, that has given me something else to try, but like trying hard, i find it difficult to work out the fat content of a meal. can anyone explain?

It so nice to be able to talk to other in the same boat, and thanks guys i really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my questions.

Love to you all

Tilly xx

• Posted

There really is no short cut...but hey, you only have to do it once for each recipe......sit down sometime when you are not cooking at the same time and go through the recipe with a list of the fat content and write everything down. Then you'll have a better idea...not even an idea, the real total.
  • Posted

Or if you follow a recipe from certain low fat cook books or internet sites, you will find they will state the fat content with the recipe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.