6 weeks in - a bit of humour

Posted , 21 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Six weeks on from having a part of my body sawn off and taken out to be replaced forcefully by items from the periodic table I'm doing OK but as my teacher once said (OK not once, every school report) could do better.

It's almost 3am and here I am again replying to posts on this forum, most of which won't see the light of day due to either the site being rubbish or my iPad deciding that because it's older than four years it has to stop working and shut itself off to remind me that Apple products are not for life, just a few Christmases then it's time to replace.

When I'm not on this forum I'm playing games meant for six year olds, my fave at the moment it AlphaBetty - a "fun" spelling game for really little kids.  Well I'm on level 25 and can't get past it.  Some words it actually accepts even though I'm sure they don't exist but it makes me smile as it does accept all forms of swear words so I try to do as many of those as possible just to humour myself until the iPad crashes again.

I cannot get comfy in bed.  My geriatric Persian cat who has not once sat on my lap voluntarily in the 15+ years we have had her has decided that she needs to be near my scar at all times day and night.  Very sweet apart from the fact that she takes up a fair bit of room as she has to lay at a certain angle and as she's my only child I cannot possibly move her or wake her.  When I'm laying on the sofa she gets on top of my operated hip and her full 14lb weight will contentedly purr away, again a bit sore but can't move my baby so hint at daddy having sweets for her and as she's greedy after a while she will seek him out.  Most of the time she wants to kill him and he regularly has a bitten or scratched hand/face, although to be fair he does deserve it most of the time (shouldn't cuddle so tight).

Went for a walk around town with my mum today, first time out without any walking aid and it was great for half an hour then I started doing the Pengiun walk and got a bit sore.  I'm surprised no one threw fish at me,  I do rather a good impersonation.  We then met my sister for lunch which was lovely as the sun was shining (so we had to sit in the shade because of my mums "tropical moments"wink.  I was looking forward to getting some sun on my lily white legs as they have been incased in the bloomin stockings for the last six weeks.   Anyway lunch was lovely but sitting on wooden slats didn't do me much good as when we left I had changed my walk to monkey.  I was glad to get home and rest.

That's another thing - "rest".  The week or so following my op the other half was fairly good at helping out, you know - warming up a ready meal and acting like he made Christmas dinner from scratch.  Washing up (how does it take him 35 mins to do what I can in five ?), hoovering (scaring the cat so she will take a swipe at next available opportunity) and changing my stockings.  Yep he did ALL that and still managed to do his day job.  Well now I'm doing everything again, cooking, cleaning, washing, dressing myself and I'm meant to be resting.  It's like he had an out of body experience that won't be repeated.  I'm sure he has vision that doesn't see dirt.  As I couldn't get in the bath I thought I would wait and see how long it took him before he cleaned it - well let's just say I did it around the three week mark as you could have done graffiti in the mark around the side.  Now I'm able to get in the bath again it's bliss - I won't take that for granted for at least a month.

So I'm "resting" my pain in the a*** and my aching leg in between my zoo impression walks and yes it's getting better day by day.  I now have some sleeping tablets to take to try and break the cycle of being awake at this hour playing crappy games that make me feel thick (not taking them until Monday though - it's the weekend and I prefer wine to sleep).  This forum and the amazing people have helped immensely and I couldn't imagine going through it without the support.

Anyway I know what you're all thinking - how have I managed to type such a long post ?  Well I type it into Notes then Cut and Paste into here.  Wish I'd thought about that ages ago so that I could have offered more support and a friendly ear.  Honestly the witty remarks you have all missed because of the technology crashing are such a waste.

I will put the money I'm saving by not travelling to and from work towards another overpriced iPad - oh no I won't, sorry wine, I will put it towards wine.  See can do better biggrin

Sarah X X 

15 likes, 120 replies

120 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Great post there Sarah ..... definitely put the money into getting a decent bottle of wine.  I have used wine clubs in the past - theone i liked best now runs the east coast railway too rolleyes, but now I use a society in a town close tome which means I can go and pick up some lovely bin ends.

Sounds like you are recovering ... even though it's never fast enough for any of us.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Thanks for all the lovely comments - I'm glad it made you smile or laugh as that's the best medicine.  Wine is the second best medicine- honestly I'm not an alcoholic, I went three weeks after op without touching a drop so that's pretty solid evidence.

Today after my few hours sleep was the weekly shop.  A walk into town to the butchers  then back to the big supermarket.  Easy you would think but oh no, they decided to have a change around so you cannot find anything.  The bacon is where the lightbulbs used to be and the milk is in the loo roll isle.  Helpfully they changed all the signage to point you in the right direction but they haven't finished changing stuff yes so the exciting sign wine/beer was quite a disappointment when it turned out to be butter and yoghurts.  So my usual shop going up and down the isle in the order my list is written ended up being five times as long as I had to retrace my steps for almost every item.  Luckily I put a GPS thing on my iPhone to see how far I had walked - well it would have been good if I remembered to check it when I got back to the car rather than halfway home when it was reading seven miles and was strangely very hot.

That's another thing - it's hot - in the UK, we are not used to this so when I got in I had to change out of my white cropped jeans and top and I'm now on the sofa on my pyjamas - summer pyjamas you understand but still it's three in the afternoon.  Hubby hasn't commented.  I think he's past caring what I wear.  Some of the early days out of hospital outfits were pretty special.  Paisley Harem pants with clashing trainer shoes (to hide the stockings), I had a fair few days of looking like I had escaped from somewhere.  No one tells you to plan for knee high thick white stockings before the op, if they had I could have planned accordingly.  Oh well I'm lucky they are off and they did their job.

I'm currently "resting" after putting the shopping away and making brunch then washing up.  I have decided after three weeks living on nothing but cake and chocolate (the no appetite weeks) that I should try and lose a few pounds before I go back to work.  So I had mushrooms, tomatoes and poached eggs.  Very nice but not very filling so I followed it up with a snack size coconut chocolate bar.  I'm pretending I won't eat anything else until dinner but kidding no one !  I blame the constipation- I need solid food (crisps, cheese, crackers etc) to push it through.  This is where wine comes in handy again too,  it can help sometimes if you drink enough so I currently have two bottles of Rosé chilling in the fridge.  Well it is Saturday and it's partly medicinal after all.  

Cheers X  

• Posted

Sarah, I'm chuckling at your new found freedom with 'cut and paste' posts!

I also did without any alcohol for both my recoveries - luckily Christmas came between the end of the first recovery and the second operation.

Why do shops continually move things around - just to annoy us I am sure.  I loved this picture off Facebook - I just want my 5-a-day !!!

I too wore an odd assortment of clothing post-op .... who cares as long as you are comfortable?

Losing weight is so hard - I am fighting that battle too.

Keep taking the medicine !

Graham

• Posted

PLEASE, forgive me but you just gave me the best laugh of the day.  Everything you wrote about is SO TRUE.  Although my surgery isn't until October we share some of the same difficulties--can't sleep in the bed, penguin walk,worry about the the variety of metals that I will soon be wearing for the rest of my life.  But I do want to act as defense attorney for your cat.  I've read a number of articles relating to the purring of a cat actually heping in the healing process.  It seems that the continual purring is at the same decible as some devices used to help heal wounds.  I recall one study of a man with a broken arm.  He said that his cat has always slept in the bend in his elbow at night and continued to do so after it was casted. He reported less pain and much quicker healing after the surgery .  His doctor told him about cats' purring powers.  Maybe your cat is actually helping you to get well.  Who knows.  Luckily I just happen to have two cats so I'll get a chance to prove or debunk this theory.  Please post often.  You are definitely a delight to read.

?Get well soon.  (and hug the cat often)wink

• Posted

Ahh so the cat is actually helping me mend - bless her.  And I just thought she was being protective.  I have heard of cats and dogs spotting cancer in their owners before.  I didn't think she had any sort of intelligence though, she has a daffodil for a brain most of the time.  As she's a house cat she only goes outside when we do but if she's lazing about outside and needs a wee - yep she goes indoors to her litter tray then comes back out again !!!  There was a time I called the vet as she hadn't pooped for a few days - they said give her some cheap pet food, that should sort her out.  So I was massaging her tummy, trying to feed her rubbish (she obviously turned her nose up) and it wasn't until I was looking out of the upstairs window one day I saw her doing her business behind a bush in the garden !!!  I will snuggle her a little closer tonight X 

• Posted

She sounds like a really great cat. Both of you will probably enjoy the cuddling.
    • Posted

I'm with you on this Patricia - totally hilarious post with many truisms buried within.

But a) the cat is not geriatric at 13 - my Eggroll lived to 22 year; your cat is just showing love and concern for you and warming areas that need warmth to relax the pain. Finally c) thrumming (or purring if you insist) is a well-researched therapeutic technique to help muscles relax and relieve tension. This technique was amazingly effective with my presurgery pain and swelling (and as I am allergic to anti-inflammatories, I blessed my physiotherapist through very second of it). I will give you that he actually used his fingertips and thumbs tapping them along the muscle until they eased a while. But perhaps ... cats have refined their technique (esp as they don't fingers and thumbs to use) and they've learned to use the purring in conjunction with the warmth of their bodies to ease your pai. OR .. your cat just loves you and just wants to comfort you by expressing their concern with closeness!

In any case - I enjoyed your post thoroughly and will keep it, to bring out for hip 2.

Thank you and best wishes for a smooth and full recovery.

PS - since spending time on the Canal de Midi, I've become quite fond of the Longueduc red wines and a few of their roses (how do I get an accent on this tablet keyboard (!?)

L

• Posted

The daffodil for a brain is hilarious happy sat night

Me i was glad bottom of my foot itched been weeks so now 🍷🍷🍷time on patio

Then paleo yum for me

Pasta etc for hubby

• Posted

She will be 16 in a couple of weeks bless her.  She acts geriatric - she dribbles, walks past her daddy to look for him (when she wants food) and jumps when he says her name etc.  

She's being so loving and I'm making the most of every second of it.

Will check out that wine.  To get an accent hold down the letter and it should bring up a selection.  X

• Posted

You are great! I've been doing too much wallowing and you are a hilarious dose of reality. Please keep it coming!

• Posted

Yuppers fiona

We get caught in wow this is a lot land so enjoy these posts heal well 🏆🏆🏆🙋🙋👍👍😃😃🎉🎉

• Posted

Well I slept for about an hour then Boom - Wide Awake Club here we come. Good job too though as I was just sat here nosing at people on FB (like you do) and I had an urge.  All that snacking earlier must have had an effect which is surprising given the amount of CoCodamol I'm getting through and the fact that remembering to take my Lactolose solution is like remembering to check pockets for tissues before doing a dark wash !!  I'm hoping the fumes don't wake up the other half.  Must remember to weigh myself in the morning.  I have celebrated the occasion with two Jaffa Cakes smile

The cat went out earlier as its hot and the back door was open.  When she came in she looked like a feline version of a Christmas Tree.  She had sat behind some plant pots on the patio in the debris and had a mixture of cobwebs and dead leaves all over her bum and her fluffy tail.   All she needed was a bit of glitter bless her.  Had to de-leaf before she went upstairs which she didn't like.  The last thing I wanted was that tail of garden muck in bed with me - could have been dead spiders in there for all I knew.  So she's in bed now where I left her and there is a little pile of leaves on the bedside table as I kept finding them when stroking her !!  

Leg is aching.  I'm sure I haven't run a marathon without realising but I feel like I have, well with one leg anyway.  Consultant and Physio both say it's normal and the leg can take twelve weeks to heal - great !!  At least I haven't got the awful restless leg syndrome tonight where you feel like you have dodgy wiring in your leg.  I'm glad the Magnesium spray has been helping people, not the nicest of things as it can sting a bit and it's a horrible greasy feeling but it seems to do the trick.  My Osteopath recommended it to me a while ago and it's worth every penny.  

No wine for me tonight - had a few beers instead.  Has anyone else's tastes changed since the Op ?  Pre Op I loved red wine and could get through gallons but I really can't face the thought of having one now.  Even my old fave the Sauvignon Spritzer isn't doing anything for me - hence the Rosé.  And I can't get enough sugar !  I've turned into a total chocaholic - I thought I was bad before but I'm much much worse.  Must move my fat a*** a bit more to compensate.  We are planning a walk tomorrow in the countryside but I will take a crutch in case I need it as not totally flat surface.  Will try and remember to track the distance with the iPhone app and remember I turned it on.  Easier said than done. - can I still blame anaesthetic inside me six weeks on for being blonde ???

Sleep well guys - I'm off to play AlphaBetty biggrin. I will get off this bloomin level !!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi, Sarah, my you make me laugh, with your wit and words, are you a journalist you should be.  Loved the description of cat covered in leaves.  Animals are so funny I have a pug cross chi she is not speaking to me since she was forced to stay in kennels for a week when I was in hospital, she hates my sticks, will only eat ham or chicken, no proper dog food. Sulking cos she has to now sleep in my conservatory not the kitchen, this is only because my crack of dawn carer comes at seven thirty am. Keep on writing
    • Posted

Hi, no not a journalist just a new hippie trying to look on the bright side.

Hows your little doggy doing now - any better ? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.