6 weeks in and still praying for a miracle....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys this is 6 weeks in if taking Sertraline at 50mg. Last 2 days I increased to 100mg but think I will have to see the doctor next week. I have no motivation to do anything other than heave myself out of bed...today at 4pm! I just don't know what to do to help myself. I feel like I am becoming a recluse. It is scary to feel so out of touch with reality. X

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria I'm too waiting for sertraline to work I've been on 100mg for 3 weeks and 50mg the first week. I think I have seen some improvement. Maybe going up to a 100mg will work better for you, I know it takes a while for sertraline to work. Also you have to force yourself to get out to bed, get dressed, go for a walk (you'll feel better getting some fresh air!) I know it's so hard when you feel the way you do, but you have to push yourself, that's what I do force myself to do things until late you feel better. You will see light at the end of the tunnel, you won't feel like this way forever (I know it seems like it! ? ) take care x

• Posted

Thank you Pamela. I know you're right. I have to force myself. I have been telling myself all this will change soon but as each week goes by I'm feeling more scared about how I'm living ~ or not living. Thank you for replying x

• Posted

I think that increasing to 100mg might be the right thing for you to do.  Just remember that you might get some side effects again,  especially making the jump from 50 to 100 instead of 50 to 75.  I am on 150mg.  That is the dose that works for me,  and some people need something a little stronger and that’s okay.  Eveyone’s bodies are made up differently.  Pamela is right though.  You really have to push yourself and get out of bed.  It can feel like an impossible task,  but it does help.  Taking a shower and washing off the pain and sadness helps.  When I was at my darkest,  my husband had to physically undress me and put me in the shower.  I didn’t have any desire for anything other than to think about how much my illness was bringing my family down.  I felt empty and alone.  But everyday,  my husband made sure that I bathed and put on a change of clothes.  Doing this every morning got me out of my bed.  In the beginning it meant getting out of bed, taking a shower and then immediately putting on a pair of sweats and returning to bed just to stare at my clock begging to make it through the day.  Eventually I started being able to take get up and shower on my own.  Then I was able to spent time out on the porch.  Going outside was a really hard task in the beginning.  Sure I spent most of my time crying out there (I’m sure my neighbors thought I was crazy,  but whatever I doesn’t matter what they think). But the cold air hitting my face,  and the vitamin D from the sun made my mood lift slightly.  Then whenever I felt depressed I would sit outside.  Some days that meant spending the entire day out there,  but with time I was able to see small windows and moments of myself.  So I wrote those moments down.  I think the first one I wrote was “Held my son for 5 min before having a breakdown”.  Eventually the moments got longer.  The windows got larger,  and the sun started to shine through.  I have gone through both severe anxiety and severe depression and I know how lost you can feel. You have to try keep hold to the fact that you aren’t crazy,  there is a cure, and you will get better.  You don’t have to believe it right now,  just keep on telling yourself these things.  It’s not forever,  it only feels like it.  We are here if you need a friendly ear.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Ashley. I am feeling a little better now after 5 days or so at 100mg. But I feel nowhere near how good/happy I felt before. I really am unsure whether to continue with Sertraline or try to taper off. X
    • Posted

Hello Maria, glad to hear your feeling a little better.

I also had a little low blip after my “good week” (50mg) but I held out and it did eventually pass. I seem to feel with these meds the more beneficial/ enjoyable things I do... the more of a boost and better I feel?? I guess its all to do with the serotonin in some way?? Maybe if we can get a little bit in, it helps the meds to work and respond to it or something?? Im usure really?? thats just me speculating theories 🤔

But I would try and hold out on the 100mg if you can, as technically your only 5days in on that dose and possibly experiencing some side effects again, hence not feeling as good as before?? If you can manage it at least try to hold out till 4weeks on the 100mg before making any decisions on taper. Be a shame to get this far to have to go back down...  Wishing you all the best 🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.