6 weeks of constant headaches - no relief / going crazy

Posted , 43 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm after some possible insight / advice on what I'm currently going through. I will go through as many symptoms as possible, although I'm aware some might be from something different entirely. I started getting a heavy pressure at the back of my head around 6/7 weeks ago, was primarily at the back and kind of felt like my head had a big weight hanging from the back and someone was pushing hard against my skull from the inside. In the next few days this was accompanied by very frequent and fairly severe headaches. These have now been part of my life for the past 6 weeks. The headaches and pains I get differentiate. Mostly it's a dull throbbing at the back of my head. But recently quite often I get what I can only explain as a very sore burning pain on a small area of my forehead and sides of head. I get pains on both sides although i would probably crown the right side for most pain caused. I do get dizzy when I stand up from a relaxed position and have noticed that my face goes red a lot now, as if I've stepped indoors from cold to boiling. I have no energy to do any exercise and feel constantly fatigued and tired. My sleep isn't great as I wake up a lot through the night (may I add that it's not the headaches that wake me up, they seem non existent as I sleep and for the first half hour in the morning when I awake. But from then on its relentless. Painkillers do jack squat, even co-codomol doesn't touch it when that used to be my saving grace whenever I got a bad head. This is much different to headaches I have had before. Last think as well. I went to watch my football team play today and tried to do a warm up with them. Since then my head ache is worse and my brow and temples feel bruised and tender to touch.

I apologise for the length of this but i didn't want to leave much out. I hope someone is able to helps with this as it's wearing me out now... Physically and mentally. Got an MRI on weds but I know results can take a while. Was just hoping for some feedback before hand.

Thanks for reading. Take care all.

Richard

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Richard

Hope your results came back clear.

I have been suffering from headaches daily going on a year.

I have been fortunate enough to have had the best medical help out there & fast results tracked for every scan & procedure available from lumbar punture, MRI, CT, blood tests, Nerve conduction test, root canals.. you name it I've searched high & low with no answers but the good news is im not dying or have a serious illness but I have a chronic throbbing headache day in day out. 

My only advice to you from experience is stay off the pain killers espcially codine. I went down this road & gave myself 2 ulcers & bleeding stomach as well as rebound headaches. Codine makes headache worse. A preventattive medication is best to block pain signals but keep your dose as low as possible. Antidepressants like Amitriplyine/Nortriplyine are offered but personally its nasty mood changing stuff. Anticonvulsants like Gabpentine work for headaches though there are side effects it does pass but again keep the dose low & take it slow. Doctors will throw lots of medication at you with higher doses then you might need, sometimes a small amount is enough to control the pain & break the cycle.

If you can't find an answer to your headaches, check your teeth. There is a big connection between what appear healthy teeth & headaches.

Take 400mg Vitamin Rib B2. Drink lots of 2L water a day. Sleep a full 8 hours. Dont smoke or drink alchol & keep a headache diary to look for patterns & is very useful for nureologists, Ive seen 3, its good basic advice. Hope it helps.

• Posted

Hi Richard

Hope your results came back clear.

I have been suffering from headaches daily going on a year.

I have been fortunate enough to have had the best medical help out there & fast results tracked for every scan & procedure available from lumbar punture, MRI, CT, blood tests, Nerve conduction test, root canals.. you name it I've searched high & low with no answers but the good news is im not dying or have a serious illness but I have a chronic throbbing headache day in day out. 

My only advice to you from experience is stay off the pain killers espcially codine. I went down this road & gave myself 2 ulcers & bleeding stomach as well as rebound headaches. Codine makes headache worse. A preventattive medication is best to block pain signals but keep your dose as low as possible. Antidepressants like Amitriplyine/Nortriplyine are offered but personally its nasty mood changing stuff. Anticonvulsants like Gabpentine work for headaches though there are side effects it does pass but again keep the dose low & take it slow. Doctors will throw lots of medication at you with higher doses then you might need, sometimes a small amount is enough to control the pain & break the cycle.

If you can't find an answer to your headaches, check your teeth. There is a big connection between what appear healthy teeth & headaches.

Take 400mg Vitamin Rib B2. Drink lots of 2L water a day. Sleep a full 8 hours. Dont smoke or drink alchol & keep a headache diary to look for patterns & is very useful for nureologists, Ive seen 3, its good basic advice. Hope it helps.

• Posted

"f you can't find an answer to your headaches, check your teeth. There is a big connection between what appear healthy teeth & headaches."

This SOLVED my problem. Drink water, eat healthy (supplement if you want), and get de-stress. I'm going to the store now to get some mouthwash. I appreciate your time.

• Posted

I thank you for your time- Haha!

• Posted

I can't tollerate codein .  I think it's a horrible drug.  I don't get any side effects from amitriptyline.  I take 75mgs nocte
  • Posted

hi riclee all i can say is my heart goes out to you  can you do one thing read up on cluster headaches and i think youll find  the symptoms you have are all classic symptoms  that cluster headaches bring.It took me years of doctors misdiagnosing me before i  found out i suffered with it .If you find you are suffering from cluster headaches  you may be perscibed sumatripton tablets which i took for years, these do work but take about 5-10 mins to kick in which thats feels like a lifetime when your in that much pain ,i now take the imigrin injection (sumatripton) which work almost immediatly i hope this info is helpfull to you x
  • Posted

I have been going through the same thing now for two weeks. I have been in the hospital but no results, gone to many doctors and still no answer. I don't understand this, Anytime I try to do somethng, the pain behind my ear starts up and then the inner ear then the head. I give up. 

It does make me feel better knowing I'm not alone on this. 

• Posted

Hi Donna I had bad headaches all day & night behind my ear & going up to my eye I wear glasses this is been going on 6 weeks I going for check up with my glasses & seen doctors I have antibotics & taking codine & other paracemetal docters can't say what it is driving me crazy .Glad I'm not on my own
  • Posted

Hi riclee37 my 24 yr old daughter suffered terribly with these cluster headaches for 10yrs and she had every test and took every painkiller imaginable,she then had a bad toothache which took her to the dentist and an X-ray showed a shadow on her bottom left hand side gum ie:where her wisdom tooth was suppose to be so on further investigation at the dental hospital and after a biopsy it turned out to be a kertocystic odontogenic tumor (kot) for short,it was resting on a nerve.They have put a nasogastric tube into it for approximately 6-8 months to irrigate it and hopefully the jaw bone will grow in its place,but even though she feels like she went 4 rounds with mike Tyson she has not had one headache since and that was 3 months ago,so do go to your dentist to rule out any problems that might be the cause of your headaches,these headaches were ruining her life so much so that she had to drop a year out off college and she missed a lot of work.she hasn't looked back since.wishing all the best.
    • Posted

Had a thorough eye test and that was ok.  Probably have to go back to the doctors. Thanks for replying.  Not doing my health anxiety any good
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I have been searching lot of thing on internet to get rid of my problem please help i am a female 27year old working IT professional i am having severe headache at back of skull head and forehaed and buzzing sound in ears,earache and dizziness i get angry soon and hate loud traffic noise which makes me short temper and agressive ,i want to get rid of my this heaviness in head and headache please help and give solution i feel heaviness in chest and breathless also cnt change my job to gey out of traffic situations long working and travelling hours and definitely a bit personal family tensions too tried lot of rlaxing techniquies and homeopathic medicine too please guide me withy natural therepies. Please help me i getting out of my headache.I will be thankfull to everyone

• Posted

Hi neha i am male 19 years old , i think i have same symptoms , my ears buzzing , i feel tired , sometimes i have horrible pains in back of head and sometimes it goes away , i am suffering from this since 3 weeks , and i get angrey for everything .

Did you get out from this ?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.