6 Weeks Off Prozac - How to speed up the healing process?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took 4 20mg of Prozac over 1 week and developed Serotonin Syndrom so had to stop immediately. I was in hospital for 5 days on a drip to rid my body of the serotonin. I was on the tablet to help ease a terrible sore shoulder caused by work stress. Unfortunately, I have been suffering with severe discontinuation symptoms but these are getting better through time. I still have terrible insomnia, extreme tiredness, sore heads, sore tummy in mornings, low mood and negative dark thoughts (all of which I've never ever had before), my emotions are still muted (I want to actually care and worry about everything again), my doctor has reassured me that this will all pass and my emotions will return to normal. I have increased anxiety but have been pushing myself to go out and do things, like go for walks. I have been off work for 6 weeks and have another sick line for another 3 weeks, I am desperate to return to work but I need my emotions to return to normal because of the job I do, I'm irritable, impatient and can cry at anything out of the blue.

I have been going for walks and only watching or reading light hearted stuff to ensure I'm keeping my mind calm. Plus I have cut out caffeine and alcohol completely.

I have been taking supplements; Kalms for my anxiety and valerian root to try to sleep, vitamins D and B, fish oil, vitamin C with zinc and ginger root. I have been having a banana every day and a probiotic drink. I started CBT online 2 weeks ago and I start counselling tomorrow.

My appetite has returned, although I only feel the hunger in my tummy, I don't crave any tastes yet (I've lost 17 pounds) My libido has returned and I have noticed over the last 2 days that my sore shoulder is returning ( the prozac took that away within days of taking the tablets).

Today I have been off Prozac for 42 days, 6 weeks, and I am desperate to just be me again. I understand I am waiting for homeostatis to return but is there anything else I could be doing to speed up the process?

Thank you x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

HI

I'm glad to hear you recovered from such a serious condition. It's potentially life threatening.

You seem to have depressive symptoms? 42 days without any antidepressant? Only on supplements now?

Please take care of yourself.

I've been on Prozac (20-40-60-40mg currently) for 7 weeks without any relief from severe depression so far.

• Posted

Thank you! I don't think I am depressed, I wasn't depressed before the tablets. I think I'm suffering from the discontinuation and waiting for my brain to return to what it was before taking them.

I hope you feel better soon, take care x

• Posted

Hi

i had the one when i came off from Lexapro (15 years). I had a real "cold turkey" extremely severe discontinuation syndrome. It was so horrible....a year and a half ago. Physically i recovered. But severe depression that i have now came back due to burning out from work.

HOPE your brain will regain equilibrium soon.

• Posted

wow....you have been through a lot. I was on 20 mg for 8 wks and had to stop due to extreme side effects (which now I believe was Seratonin Syndrome). I have also had withdrawl symptoms (they got worse 2 wks after decreasing meds). My insomia finally went away and now i am dealing with stomach issues. i also taking supplements ...you are wise to cut out caffeine! You are taking all the right steps.

I think the most important thing at this point is to have faith that this will all soon subside and that there is light st the end of the tunnel. It truly helps coming on this forum.

Stay in touch! And have faith.

• Posted

Thank you! I started with my counsellor this morning so it was good to get a lot of my feelings out. I also went into my work to see my boss and she was very caring and supportive. My main problem is sleep, my insomnia is terrible and the valerian root doesn't always work. I wanted to go to the gym today but I am so exhausted( I did go for a 40 minute walk this morning though).

I really think the Root Ginger vitamins and the probiotic have helped my tummy x

• Posted

that is good to know, I will try that. I am going to my doctor today. I have so many people telling me they don’t believe me that I’m going through discontinuation syndrome… That I probably have a bug but I know that is not what it is. I am also waking up in the middle of the night and I’m having very strange dreams. I am not depressed, either, thank goodness. So happy to hear your boss is understanding! I am a teacher and nervous to express any of this to my principal. Just praying and knowing this will soon end. I am happy to receive any natural tips!!! Have you tried CBD oil for sleeping?

• Posted

That is so funny! How are you feeling?

• Posted

My mood has completely changed today, I'm very flat and I don't like it! I took night nurse last night to help me sleep, so I slept for a long time. How did you get on at the doctors? Mine tried to put me on more medication but I refused, I just want all drugs out of my system and to return to myself .

• Posted

that is exactly what I told my doctor, that I want these things out of my system! She wants me to come back in a month and tell her how I feel. I just want to be able to tackle any symptoms naturally without the influence of drugs and take it from there. She gave me a very low dose of Xanax to help anxiety… Although I do not like to take it it is very helpful. But I went to the health food store yesterday and bought a natural fast calming remedy… We will see if it works. I feel like every few days I have certain symptoms like a tummyache for three days and then dizziness for three days and now I am irritable… Kind of like how you have a flat mood out of the blue. I am hoping this is all just a part of the process! I am taking vitamin B complex to hopefully help my irritability. Is very helpful talking with you, thank you for writing! And good luck.

• Posted

Hi Sharon...just curious how you are feeling these days? I am 6 and a 1/2 weeks into cutting my Prozac and i have been feeling exhausted and getting headaches. Also low mood. But not the other stuff I was feeling. Does this sound familiar?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.