6 weeks on Ven still shaky & heart pounding

Posted , 2 users are following.

Added 25 mg of ven immediate release about a week ago to my 75 extended release.  Having a rough day today. (Was somewhat better last few days) Headaches, shaky internal feeling, shaky hands in morning, low appetite, very tired & not sleeping more than 5 hours at night.  Anyone else like this?  Any suggestions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barbara, how are you doing today?

I have been on Ven XR for almost 7 weeks now (75mg, then 112.5mg and now 150mg for about 3 weeks). Still getting bad days, although not terrifyingly bad, sometimes 2-3 in a row. In good days, I also feel some of the symptoms you mention (especially the pounding heart). As for sleep, I have been able to sleep normally (i.e. 7/8 hours in a row) since last week, so I'm positive you are close to getting your stability sleep-wise.

The shaking was never extreme in my case, but that also disappeared through the weeks. My psych always asks me whether I feel too shaky: I don't know the reason for this, but I guess it may be wise to let your doctors know about it if it gets too strong. I noticed increased appetite starting from week 5, but I've never had major problem with eating less (I was overweight before this horrible period began, so at least there's a positive side effect smile ).

You don't mention whether you still have the main symptoms you are being treated for (anxiety? depression?). I am being treated for anxiety and secondary depression. Currently I'm doing OK in terms of anxiety. Depression-wise, things were a little bit worse in the first weeks, while now I am having bouts of very deep sadness (3/4 times a day in bad days, 1 or no episode in good days), although without that brain-fog feeling that has always been associated with depression in my case.

I am sure all your side-symptoms are on their way to being resolved. In all cases, keep us updated!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply!  My doc had originally wanted me to up the dose to 150 but I haven’t yet because I am afraid to.  Maybe I should. 

I’m a little annoyed with my psychiatrist because when I mention the heart pounding she says maybe I should have an EKG. Which of course scared me. I told her that my primary care doc had me wear a heart monitor for 24 hours & that came out fine 

I’m not really sure if I have depression or anxiety because I have never had a diagnosis.  My Ob Gyn put me on Prozac 20 mgs back in 2005 for hot flashes or PMDD. I don’t really recall. 

I weaned myself off back in the spring & after a few weeks off I went to doc & asked to be on another AD.  I should have never quit my Prozac. I was totally fine on it. 

I have not felt well now since I’ve been on the Effexor. And all I can think about is how bad people say the withdrawal is from Effexor that’s why I’m scared to up dose to 150.  Am I crazy?  

• Posted

I'm not a doctor of course, but I know it's common to have an EKG some time after starting a new AD. So you may do that, just as a precaution, and trust me there is nothing to be scared of (I'm sure your heart is just fine). BTW if you had your 24 heart monitor after beginning with Ven, it's probably useless to have an additional EKG, but follow your doctors on that.

You really need to know whether you have depression or something else (GAD? panic attacks?). Your psychiatrist must give you a diagnosis. Maybe she did not tell you, but if you ask she will, cause she certainly has one on her mind (otherwise, she wouldn't be giving you meds).

I also used another AD in the past (Paxil), on and off it for 3 years. But this time it didn't work as well as the other times, so my psych moved me to Ven. You shouldn't worry over leaving Prozac, if the doctors thought Ven was the best choice for you, it's worth trying.

I have also read stories about withdrawing from Ven. But keep in mind that people come here and share their experience mostly when things do not go well. Statistically, most people on Ven will manage their withdrawal just fine with the help of their doctors. Paxil is also known around here for terrible withdrawals, but I came off it many times with just minor physical symptoms lasting for a few days (I never lost a single day at work because of these symptoms and, besides some lightheadedness, I was ok through the process each time).

So don't really think about withdrawing now, just decide with your doctors whether going up in dosage is a wise choice for the symptoms you are having now. Your first aim is to get better now, not to prevent withdrawal symptoms when you get there.

Most importantly, you don't sound crazy smile

• Posted

Thank you SO much for this.   It’s so comforting actually.  I will get with my doc soon.  

Thanks again.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.