6 weeks on venlafaxine with little effect, getting desperate now !!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, i have major depressive disorder, I was put on venlafaxine 6 weeks ago started at 75mg xl for 4weeks 112.5 for 1 week then last week increased to 150mg. Prior to this I was on trazodone (found this too sedating). I'm getting really frustrated because I'm still not feeling much different, I still feel tired all the time, my sleep is disturbed, I still have little appetite, I'm fed up with the sweats, blurred vision, the dry mouth and my increasing tense muscles, im visiting my go tomorrow I'm wondering whether to discontinue this medication, as I can't go any higher as I have an impaired left ventricle

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I got the loss of appetite and whilst my appetite is better its not perfect, I also scaled up very quickly as I had to come of Mirtazapine. I am on 225mg ( Max gp prescribed dose ) and had a bit of a increase in blood pressure which give me a pulsing feeling in my arm ( veins ). My sleep is poor but then it was worse prior so in some ways it improving if that makes sense.

the dry mouth is a side effect to and I need to brush my teeth more often to avoid cavities. If you cant cope with side effect then your better to move on. the one things I will say is whilst ihave some side effect the venflaxine has been the best anti dep to improve mood.

• Posted

Hi Jimmy thanks for your reply, how long did it take before your started feeling more like yourself, I'm willing to hang in there if there is some improvement in my mental health I can put up with the side effects, I just want to get back to work, and spend more time doing fun things with my son, feel guilty not being functional at least for him. I am waiting on a waiting list for theray in the form of one to one CBT. I hope you continue to improve too seems like such a selfish illness
    • Posted

Im about 8 week in venflaxine and starting to feel pretty much normal, now after coming of mirtazapine ( Mirtazapine  disagreed with me twice so god knows why I had to go back on it ). I am able to function much better now , which is key when  your your own boss
    • Posted

Thank you will give it a little more time i only increased to 150 mg a week ago I read so many horrible things about this drug, I started because I was desperate to feel better have tried so many other AD's I feel like this is my last hope. Thanks again for taking the time, I wish you a full recovery take care .
    • Posted

This drug is not for everyone but if your a fighter and wont it it quite a good drug to be on as it has to active ingredient apposed to SSRI ( Citalopram , sertraline etc ), when you better and you come off it they tend to switch you to Prozac in the last few weeks/months. Its all about keeping to the regime and not trying to be clever. If it dont work you go back and tell your gp and it down to them to sort a r new regime
  • Posted

If you d9on't feel any better by 8 weeks, then perhaps this anti depressant just does not help you.  We all vary, and what helps one person may not suit another.  I did very well on 150mg Venlafaxine.  Some of the things you are experiencing is the side effects of the drug, and they should diminish the longer you take it. 

Talk to your doctor if you feel no benefit from this drug.

• Posted

Thank you Anne, Gp said hang in there, trying to be optimistic, was also told to do one small thing everyday for myself that I enjoy, funny Im struggling to enjoy anything right now
    • Posted

One thing I did was emailed/called a friend I made fun enough on here. And we chatted about things and what we were up to.
    • Posted

Hi there Karen.  so difficult to be optimistic when you feel so bad, and think anti depressant not working.  At least you have what sounds like a helpful GP as some people here have bad experiences with their doctors. 

Yes when we have depression it takes everything away from us, and it is very difficult to find pleasure in anything.  Just do one small thing each day, does not matter what it is.  just something that you can tell yourself you achieved, however small. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.