6 Weeks out from TKR and wishing I’d never done this ...

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello there, I know I am not going to say anything new on this board. I found it by chance a week or so ago and it has definitely been encouraging, however, having said that… LOL

I am six weeks out from TKR and definitely wishing I never did this. I absolutely have more pain now than I ever did prior to the surgery. I was getting injections for the pain and they did help, although I walked with a limp for the last three years after a failed meniscus surgery. Anyway, I guess I am fortunate because I stopped walking with a walker or cane within 10 days of surgery, I have been driving since three weeks out, and generally walking isn’t too bad. But don’t get me wrong, I am living with severe pain. I have been taking Percocet since surgery (but of course I do not take them if I know I’m going to be driving). keep thinking I’m going back to work (I'm A real estate broker so I can make my own hours ) but then morning comes and I just don’t feel up to it, between my knee and my head (emotions...)

My range of motion is OK, I guess, for my timeline. I am past 90° on the bend and have been from the beginning, but it changes daily. And I still cannot straighten my leg all the way. I am very swollen and stiff and have sharp pains on the sides of my knee, especially the outside. Sleeping is impossible with pain meds. . I feel like I am going to be one of those who doesn’t fully recover though, which I think is in my head because of the failed meniscus surgery.

The thought of having pain for months on end is really depressing. And let’s not even talk about how the lower back hurts from everything else going on. I'm 59 and was very active prior to my original knee injury 3 1/2 years ago but it just seems that life will never be the same. I’m dealing with all the depression everyone goes through too. I hate being such a whiner but I’m glad I have this board where at least someone can understand. if I had known what a long process this was, I don’t think I would have done it. As it was, right up into surgery I kept saying I didn’t want to do it. I am not normally a negative person but that sure brings the negative out in me . I guess right now I am just venting to cyberspace but it’s good to know there are people out there who understand this journey better than I do .

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a total of 100 Oxy's...70 were used in the first few weeks and 30 were used for the next month to take 1 at bedtime. I took over the counter Tylenol and had to count daily not exceed daily dosage. There is a big push in Canada for doctors not to over prescribe because of people getting hooked on pain killers after surgery. I iced a lot. I have had a few surgeries and never have i had so few pain killers. It was hard exercising the first 6 weeks without pain meds. Luckily I had some T3 pescribed before my surgery.

• Posted

I truly do not know how you made it through. I have already gone through 140 in six weeks and was just prescribed 80 more which I’m hoping not to get through and start weaning myself off.

• Posted

Tom. I have had other surgeries and always had 200. I think my progress was delayed as I had great difficulty doing exercises at home because of the pain. My quads are still very weak and have difficulty lifting the leg. I do work out at the gym 3 times a week and have good range of motion. But i got through it. There are studies now saying pain killers should be no longer than 10 days.....ugh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.