6 Weeks post 2nd TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well that's the dreaded six weeks over,and there's a noticeable difference with sleeping thank god,i'm still getting up during the night and still tossing and turning but sleep is improving.My scar sensitivity seems to be lessoning too, still irritable mind.ROM 115 and a straight leg,walking miles with the dog also now getting up and down stairs normally and this is major i can relax in a bath now wow so much better than showering.Knee still has swelling and is stiff first thing, icing often still but anyone out there the six week of hell is the worst so perservere and improvement will come. Just got to remember not get ahead of myself and push too hard and no setbacks. So its exercise then ice and voltarol and paracetamol when required.Best wishes and have a positive and healthy NEW YEAR

4 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Brent, good to hear that you are doing well and also getting some sleep after such a relatively short time of 6 weeks. I am now 6 months post TKR and still only getting a few hours sleep (though the discomfort from my knee is neglible) whereas before my operation i was getting a full 8 hours sleep. How long after your first TKR did it take before you felt that your operation was a success and that you were back to normal mobility with your legs? After 6 months i feel that i am doing o.k. but still believe that i am a long way off from full recovery?

• Posted

Climber,i have a very physical job and three flights of stairs on top.after my first TKR i went back to work after 15 weeks on a phased return but i would say 8-10 months before my knee felt part of me properly,even now 16 months on there is still a stiffness first thing and it will never feel like a natural joint it will always feel like 2kgs of metal and plastic, but and this is important NO PAIN anymore and a feeling of getting your life back.It does make you take a second or two on doing things just a bit of an knee assesment on the easiest and safear way .Kneeling is probably the only thing that'll not come back it just doesn't feel right or comfortable.

• Posted

am at 9 months and the pain is dreadful not even near the shape of a knee

• Posted

hi Brent so pleased you are doing great im 6 mth still struggling with it all set back after set back waiting on new consultant ROM still only 95 sleep whats a good night going up stairs on all fours coming down one at a time use of stick when out and about so fed up with it all but it CAN and WILL GET BETTER roll on 2019

HAPPY NEW YR ALL

• Posted

Dig in Kathleen at the end of the day you will get there, it a tough ride but to be arthritis pain free is a god send and so worth it (even though it might not seem like it a the moment for you) best wishes to you and keep posting your progress.

• Posted

hi yes been in pain for yrs so when i got the offer of the op i was so excited even my GP could not believe I was so excited but to be pain-free I thought it would be worth it how wrong was I infection abscess another infection knee worse now than before the operation I said to the consultant I felt something was wrong he just ignored me but I do feel that the day is faulty that is why I discharge myself from him and I waiting for a new consultant but have been told they will not go into eat until June next year as it has to be 12 months I do work I do nightshifts but when I go out and about I have to use a stick because I need the support as need goes from intimate my left knee also needs replacing but the thought of that until the right one is mended I cannot do I do love reading positive notes as it gives me hope happy pain-free 2019 to one and all

• Posted

Kathleen,get back onto your GP and don't be fobbed off, demand to be seen and never mind this 12 months never heard of that.I really believe it down to the surgeon, thank god i did a bit of asking about and managed to get Mr Sudakhar for both of mine.People often say all surgeons are the same, but i totally disagree i would recommend Sudakhar to anyone he been superb for me.

• Posted

its true Brent, I was in pain for a year, referred to the consultant in the April, she said that my bmi was not correct. I was 4.lb overweight, she told me she would not see me until the next April, I had to wait for 12 months. I could not wait so had to go privately, put it on my credit card,

its how it is now.

• Posted

Thats awful Susane really, i live in the North east (Durham)and the GP's get you into see a consultant really quick.Don't know why but we don't seem to have massive waiting up here, the NHS in this country is fantastic but in some regions is seems to be broken.

• Posted

this all sounds so good Brent, could I just ask, how old you are, were you fit before your surgery, I am just asking as I would love to be able to do the things you do, when my six week is over. I cannot get to 95 as yet with my knee. best wishes Susane

• Posted

Susane, i'm 60 and yeh pretty active, still work continental shifts, love playing my golf, but to be honest i had my first TKR 16 months back, then had a prolonged prostate scare, hernia surgery then my second TKR so ive been through the mill a bit myself and also put a good 1.5 stone of weight on, which i need to shift for the good of my knees, but with TKR it's the inactivity that put the weight on, so new year resolution shift the weight haha.

• Posted

You have been through it Brent and deserve to be in a good position. Sounds wonderful walking with your dog, in no pain, its all we really ask for. Take care Susane

• Posted

Awesome job Brent. I just had my LTKR 4 weeks ago. Bend is at 115, straightness at a 5. Therapy 3X a week! Allergic reaction to the adhesive and now allergic to both kinds of pain meds. Living on Xtra strength tylenol and tylenol PM at night. Most sleep i get is about 4 to 5 hours, still sleeping in the recliner. Hurts like heck in the bed. I had my right knee done in Feb 2017 and that was the best thing to do. It feels wonderful!! Hoping for 2019 to be a good year for me. Happy New Year to you and your family snd to all of our TKR friends!! Happy recovering and healing!

• Posted

Fatbubbles,wow bend 115 and straightness 5 thats really impressive after 4 weeks and i totally agree my first TKR has been a dream totally pain free perfect, second TKR going in the right direction up to now too, bloody hard,sleepless nights are so destroying, but further down the line the reward is there. best wishes and keep the great work going. keep posting people need to read positive posts and successes.

• Posted

Hi I'm 8 months tkr and my knee is fine. I realise it will never be the same as before for freedom of mivement but at least it's pain free from arthritis. Sleeping is hit and miss but I can't blame my knee for that it's more that I'm getting older and sleep patterns differ. Getting my other knee done In Feb next Yr so am readily prepared thus time, well I think so, ice packs ready voltarol and weights to excercise knee. Still on bike 5km a day it really helps to loosen the knee up but this time will start it earlier than when I got my knee done in April, a lot wiser thus time. Stick in everyone who's had this op good times are ahead. To you all Happy New year x

• Posted

Hi Ann,and YES everyone TKR do work,lt's so good to read success tales and yes again ann, stationary bike really helpful i doing the same now with my second TKR, it's a hard recovery especially the first 6 weeks but iv'e put the work in and now begining to feel the rewards as you have.

• Posted

I just 3 days ago got all the way around on the recumbent bike was so excited!! And im 4 weeks out!! Happy New Year everyone!!

• Posted

Hi Fay,brilliant that it gives you a great feeling of achievment and you will progress so much quicker now you can get a full rotation and only 4 weeks post TKR.I'm made up you my dear, keep posting and happy NEW YEAR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.