6 Weeks Post Ankle Surgery...need help!!!

Posted , 137 users are following.

Hello:

I had surgery 3/2/15 for a fracture of the left tib/fib and spiral fracture of the ankle.  I had a rod inserted and 7 screws.  For 6 weeks I was non weight bearing, but 3 days ago I was told I could start partial weight bearing.  I need some guidance if anyone is out there.  First, it is normal to feel the pins and needles on the bottom of the foot and how long does that normally last?  Am I doing any additional damage to the foot if this tingling i continuing?  And also, I noticed today my ankle/foot/toes is very swollen.  I am elevating the foot now and have an ice pack on it.  Is this also common and any recommendations on how to help this?  Thank you so much for your help.  Any would be greatly appreciated.  I am just at a loss, beginning to get depressed and just want to finally hear that I will walk again and soon!! Thank you. Danielle

5 likes, 446 replies

446 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your replies. It is so good to talk to other people who are in a similar position.

The pain is across my ankle where the break was. Its an ache rather than a shooting pain. I haven't been referred for any physiotherapy which i think is rather strange but i never thought to ask at my appointment. I next see my consultant in 4 weeks. I will see how it goes in the next few days.

Take care xx

• Posted

I was told I won't go for physio till I come out of the boot, and then it will probably be a single appointment to show me what exercises I should be doing.
    • Posted

A lot depends on where you live - what's available, how well you're doing, how old you are and the big one whether you ask. One of the nurses in fracture clinic told my husband if you don't push for it you won't get it.
    • Posted

Update,

Was seen by consultant Tuesday, was told as I'd had an avulsion fracture to the 5th metatarsal I'd suffered some ligament and tendon damage, as a result I'm to have urgent physio, with the aim to be walking round the house in a hard shoe, still using boot outside, go back in six weeks. With pestering I was given a date for physio in three months, only when they checked that it was urgent was I given a date for next week, has to be 8.30am but better than nothing.

• Posted

Hi I am now 11 weeks post surgery for a bimalleolar fracture. I have a plate and nine screws. I had the cast off 4weeks ago and was using a walking frame non weight bearing for 3weeks. Last week I started partial weight bearing using crutches. The first 3days it seemed so easy but on day 4 I started to have a great deal of pain the first since surgery so like you I thought I'd done some damage. I did drive my car and it felt so good to get out and about. Prior to that I had to rely on friends and family to get me in and out of my apartment block in a wheelchair. Very frustrating. Like you I am a very independent person and hate not being able to do things for myself. But things are improving daily and I think I see light at the end of the tunnel. My only concern is that I have not been offered physio or any guidance how to use the crutches properly. I had to look it up online. (By the way I live in Kuwait). I will see my consultant tomorrow and hopefully get a better prognosis. I am a teacher and school started this week but I unfortunately will not be going back for a month.like a lot of people on this forum not being able to carry a cup of tea or coffee is SO frustrating. It's nice ( or not) to hear so many people are going through the same things. I have been lucky that my mother has been here to help me. Btw I am 54 and my mother is 78. She is stronger than me in some respects. Anyway now I know pain and more swelling is part of the healing process and it is just a ( long) waiting game. Wishing everyone a speedy, safe recovery.
    • Posted

Hi Joanne. Sorry to hear your difficulties.

Hear in the UK the NHS offered me physio but to be perfectly honest it was rubbish. In the paid we paid for it to be done weekly. I still don't feel myself that was helpful.

Im probably not the best person to be talking about this. The best thing to do is the exercises at home yourself but I never did many and give up to easily because I found it too painful. I'm afraid I'm paying the price for this now. I broke mine in 3 places last February and it's still bad. I've lots of screws and a plate and don't know if they'd be better removed now.

If I wear my old trainers I can walk ok and I have no limp. But - bare foot it's awful (terrible limp) and it's so limiting what shoes I can wear now. If I have a day out I'm in agony later when I get home. Luckily I work from home. Yesterday we had a day out at the seaside and I was ok but when I came home and took my trainers off I was in a lot of pain and my ankle is so stiff. The only thing that helps is codeine but my GP really limits how much he lol prescribed me so I have to ration them for when it's really bad (like I'm going to New York next week and will be doing a lot of walking so keeping my pain killers for then)

I can't believe how much a broken ankle has changed my life and it gets me down some days but it's a lot lot better than this time last year. It's just a case of getting off the crutches and getting on with things. Little things at the beginning such as making myself a boiled egg and carrying to the kitchen counter was like the best feeling ever and like you said carrying a cup of tea into the

• Posted

Sorry that sent too early.

Carrying anything from one room to another is such an achievement.

The best advice I can give is do your stretches and exercises at home. I wish I had

• Posted

You can still do the exercises, I broke my ankle and 5th metatarsal last Feb, ankle fracture was stable but had to have a screw in the 5th met. I've been having NHS physio for the last four months, I've been good and done all the exercises they gave me and I've almost full movement back in the ankle. I can tell the difference, the calf muscles in the broken leg had wasted and whilst that leg is still smaller, it is improving. Yes it hurts but there are loads of strengthened exercises that you can do sitting or lying down especially those using an elastic resistance band.

Unfortunately my 5th metatarsal is still very painful to walk on, last x-ray showed it hadn't healed at all, due back next week to see how it's going, fingers crossed it's better, though it doesn't feel it.

• Posted

I've been really bad doing my physio. Almost given up thinking it didn't make any difference.

Maybe I'll try again.Thanks

• Posted

Trouble with physio is no one else can do it for you!!

Little but often was drilled into me from day one, thankfully I'd started doing the rotation exercises once I came out of the cast and into the boot. I used to (and still do) them in the bath, the warm water helps a lot, so the physiotherapists have been impressed at the amount of movement I've got back. Yes I still limp, yes it still hurts and the ankle swells up, but I can walk for longer periods. I just keep telling myself that even if the bone hasn't healed, I've done everything possible to get fit again.

• Posted

You're right of course. My problem is I can feel the screws when I rotate my ankle and it makes me feel so queasy. It's like they're rubbing on something and it's a horrid sensation.

Warm water is good. My GP recommend that too. I'm lucky enough to have a spa bath and it always feels better after that. I'm determined to get better doing the exercises. I'm going to order on line, a stretch physio band. I need to make myself feel more positive and stop being such a defeatist. Thanks for all the advice

• Posted

I know what you mean about feeling the screws, mine goes from the base of the 5th metatarsal along the shaft of the bone then out between the 4th and 5th metatarsals, it's pushed the joint below my little toe out and hurts when I try to go on tip toes.

Good luck with the exercises, hope you find that the stretch band improves your muscle tone and movement as much as I have. Good job I have two as both my Grandsons (5 & 2) keep trying them.

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

It was really encouraging to read the discussion here.

2 weeks back I had broken my ankle in 3 places. A surgery happened to stabilize the ankle with a plate and 7 screws.

I was non weight bearing for 2 weeks now but not the cast has come off and I am on boots for the next 4 weeks. I has been advised to apply partial weight bearing for next 2 weeks. I haven't started it. I am worried is it too early to partial weight bearing on the ankle yet. Also I am having pain in wearing boots as I am on just paracetamol and ibuprofen. I am wondering whether it's the low dosage of pain killers or its just normal.

• Posted

Hi Annie,

Its been great to read the stories.

We are at the same stage I think. Broke my ankle playing netball bimalleolar fracture, surgery the next day. Two weeks in a back slab cast which came off yesterday. I had a airwalker cast give to me as regular cast was pressing on the bone where my plate is. Was all good until I went to bed and was in so much pain with a shooting pains, adjusting the boot isnt helping, I think its where the screw is on my ankle.

Are you having the same type of pain. I just want to take the boot off, but know that is not going to give my ankle any support. I am managing to partial weight bear without too much discomfort. I am too just taking ibruporfen and paracetamol.

Claire 

• Posted

Dear Claire,

I believe our situation is very similar. I have very similar pain especially the screw which is giving support. I really feel like removing the boots because of the sharp pain but then yes it wouldn't support the ankle. I just loosen the belts a bit in the night. But then when I have to move my leg I make sure the grip is firm.

I am able to partial weight bear on it without any discomfort but then the uneven lengths of the legs make it difficult

Are you using any shoe even up balancer.

Regards,

Annie

• Posted

Hi Annie

No shoe balancer,how about you? The whole boot just feels to tight and there is nothing I can do to ease it even elevation. In fact elevation sometimes makes the bone pain worse as the swelling eases exposing my ankle bone.

I have my physio assessment tomorrow,might see if I can get a splint for night time. Are you having physio?

• Posted

Hi Annie,

I also has bimalleolar surgery with the fibula twisted uncomfortably on Feb 9,. I have found that wrapping and using the soft inside of the boot taken out and formed around the ankle and leg is the most comfortable so far.

• Posted

Hey Chris,

Glad it's of comfort to you. Now it's almost 2 weeks since I am in a boot. It feels quite comfortable. Still partial weight bearing on it.

Regards,

Annie

• Posted

Hi Claire, please send FB link. Broke my ankle 8 weeks ago. 6 weeks post op plate and 10 screws. I'm now in a walking boot NWB for 2 more weeks. I'll be starting physical therapy at the same time. Extremely anxious and not sure if I should cancel my holiday in 6 weeks, end of May in a Caribbean resort. Trying to stay positive during this long process.
    • Posted

I think we're in similar circumstances.  I had surgery 29th July and now have a plate, 7 screws plus 2 larger screws holding Tib & Fib together.   I"m now five weeks post surgery.    I have now been issued with an an-boot and because my ankle is now considered 'stable' because of the infrastructure, my surgeon advised me to remove the boot for sleeping and most of the day when not needing to walk.    I do keep my leg elevated most of the time and iced on a regular basis.    Well, I only 'walk' if you can call it that around the house and visits to the loo.  

I think you need to adjust the air intake of the boot to  the pain or soreness you experience in your ankle at that time.    I have found that too much air making the boot tight can make any pain much worse but then of course, the air is cushioning the ankle.   It's perhaps a case of trying everything to get it right for you.

I have virtually no pain in my ankle now but it is still very stiff.  I've been having physio privately for three weeks and am doing the exercises religiously and can most definitely feel the benefit.

I'm seeing the surgeon in two weeks when he says he might tell me to get rid of the boot !   I'm dreading the thought of putting my foot to ground without the boot but as I've been semi weight bearing for the past two weeks (through the boot) and then without the boot as I sit in a chair and have my feet on the ground applying gentle pressure, I'm hoping it won't be dreadfully painful.

My surgeon did tell me to expect discomfort when I apply weight but this was quite normal and didn't mean anything was wrong.   We shall see.  

I agree with everyone that the frustration of being so dependent on everyone for everything we take for granted in our normal healthy lives is extremely dibilitating.  Staying positive is the best thing but not always easy.  Even my numerous hobbies which have sustained me thus far through life (I'm 72) are gradually becomming less and less interesting !  but I'm determined to walk normally again.   Particularly as only three months prior to breaking this right ankle, I had my right hip replaced and had made a wonderful recovery.  The hip replacement recovery was a walk in the park compared to this !

Hope some of this is helpful to all out there in very similar circumstances.

• Posted

Hi Claire

I broke my ankle 3 weeks ago and the posts have been very helpful.

Can you please share the FB page with me?

Thanks!

• Posted

Hello. I am in a boot and it's irritating my ankle also? How long can I expect this to hurt? I have screws and a plate in and I'm so depressed. I'm particularly weight bearing but it's rubbing against my ankle . By the way, my ankle is still swollen after 8 wks. Is this normal? Help before I loose it please.

• Posted

I’m so sorry your going through this. Your definatly not alone. I put up with boot for twe weeks. Cried for two weeks no sleep was a bloody nightmare. Went to my doctor and told her I  could not use it. I had tried padding in every position and thickness. She referred me back to surgeon. He told me to stop wearing it as it was to support not cause pain. I had a hole in my leg  from where the plaster rubbed on staples. Nerve damage he said and yes I agree. Even a bandage had me in tears. I’ve always been tough but not with this. Now I’m 10 months PO still swell and bruise. every now and then have a cry. Very depressing. Been back ar week for 4 months now and omg by Friday I’m cooked. Do be kind to yourself. Get off meds as soon as you can find something to occupy your mind and slowly do bits to regain your independence. I used wheelchair and swept floors I got husband to put arm chair in dining room ( no accidents on carpet) commode next to armchair (I managed to empty and clean it myself but when you can’t rush to loo was better. Had microwave on coffee table and tea coffee and water all at my reach ( hated asking for help)  I kept as busy as I could in wheelchair. But if you continue in boot make sure you have Even Up Shoe on good foot to keep even gait and don’t get secondary injuries as this injury causes a lot. Sorry big rant but hopefully you get a lot of support on this site. And feel free to message for support. I’m in Aust so may be a time diff ,  stay sane. 
    • Posted

I had surgery about a year ago and the boot was agonizing for me as well.  It was too painful to bear weight in the boot.  I had padding in the boot, but not an air bladder.  I went on line and ordered an air boot insertion and that helped a little.  I also found that if I wore a sock with light compression plus a thick winter boot sock, that helped.  Oddly enough, the thick winter boot sock without the compression sock underneath would not work.  I needed the compression sock too! As Jenni mentioned, I would highly recommend getting an Even up, or you may end up with back problems as well.  I didn't know about the Even ups until I had invested in an expensive pair of shoes that were high enough to even up my gait.  I am actually glad I bought them, because I still wear them almost exclusively to this day.

Breaking my ankle was one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with because it takes so long to get back to almost normal.  Hang in there and good luck!  

I will be getting my hardware removed later this month.  It will mean that I will be back in the boot for a few weeks, but I am looking forward to being hardware free.

• Posted

Hi I am about 7 months after breaking ankle in 3 places I have 3 plates and 10 pins everything went well - but I still have some discomfort and some shoes boots that I wear are really uncomfortable I note you are having your “hard wear “ removed 

I can actually feel my pins please could you let use know how that surgery goes as I would like to explore that option 

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

I have to be careful of which shoes I can wear.  Any shoe that hits where my screw sticks out, I can't wear.  Yes, I will let you know how it goes.  All the people I've read about who have gotten their hardware out have been happy that they did, so I hope I will feel the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.