6 Weeks Post Ankle Surgery...need help!!!

Posted , 137 users are following.

Hello:

I had surgery 3/2/15 for a fracture of the left tib/fib and spiral fracture of the ankle.  I had a rod inserted and 7 screws.  For 6 weeks I was non weight bearing, but 3 days ago I was told I could start partial weight bearing.  I need some guidance if anyone is out there.  First, it is normal to feel the pins and needles on the bottom of the foot and how long does that normally last?  Am I doing any additional damage to the foot if this tingling i continuing?  And also, I noticed today my ankle/foot/toes is very swollen.  I am elevating the foot now and have an ice pack on it.  Is this also common and any recommendations on how to help this?  Thank you so much for your help.  Any would be greatly appreciated.  I am just at a loss, beginning to get depressed and just want to finally hear that I will walk again and soon!! Thank you. Danielle

5 likes, 446 replies

446 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I opened my boot today and looked at my ankle it still really swollen and kind of bruised is this normal being that my surgery was on 3/4/16?
    • Posted

I also had surgery in March and I'm told the swelling lasts awhile. Are you keeping it elevated and iced? My swelling goes down when I do that but when put my leg down (sitting or standing) it swells. 
    • Posted

Hi Erica,

I am about 10 weeks post op for a broken fibula malleolus with one screw. One week ago I was so concerned about the swelling that I went to my Gp to ask his opinion. I had pitting edema, which is when you press down hard on your puffy foot it leaves an indentation that lasts for a long time. He instructed me to get some compression stockings and wear them all day and only take them off at night. I did so and it Really helped! Wishing the first day the swelling went down by at least half. Also I monitor it and elevate and ice it about 1/2 way through the the day now. The foot and ankle are hard to compress because they are such a weird shape. And the stockings are the best, although it's hard to get them on. 

The others thing he told me to do is massage the foot and leg in an upward motion to help get the blood to return to the upper part of your body. SO while I was shopping for the socks I also picked out a hand held manual massage shaped like a hand that has some large ball bearings on  it. I can roll one ball bearing around the joints  or the whole thing up my calf. It feels nice and I think it also helps with the swelling. 

Also, if you have concerns check with your doctor. it's reassuring to know that what you are experiencing is normal for your condition! 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Don't know how "wishing" go in to the above response. Weird auto correct. 
  • Posted

Hello I broke my tibula fibula, it's been 12 weeks since with plate and screws on my fib and rod on my tibula, I WAS still non weight bearing (NWB ) TILL 2 days ago . now I have pain in my metatarsal when I tried to bear weight. Is this normal??? as I don't have pain where I broke my bones but on my metatarsal.?? Why am I having this pain?? How long before I can walk without crutched and go back to work??? Please help and guide.
    • Posted

I had very similar pain. In fact, I had (and still have) a lot of pain in many areas nowhere near my broken fibula (I broke my fibula and had surgery the first week of December).  I think what you're experiencing may be due to nonusage. You may also have a lot of soft tissue damage. One thing I've learned in this process is that the ankle is a horrible bone to break. I've been told by multiple sources that it's common for it to take 12-18 months to heal. It's not the broken bone that takes that long - it's all the other stuff. Anyway, I've been "walking" for about 2 months now and still have a lot of swelling by the end of each day. I also still have a lot of stiffness, particularly in the Achilles and instep areas, have soreness in many different areas and still from time to time have a lot of pain. I say all this not to get you depressed, but to hopefully help you understand that what you're experiencing is likely quite normal.
    • Posted

Dear Rmsko,

Thanks for ur guidance, it's been 3 months now. I have just started walking .you are right. It may be due to nonusage. It's excruciating pain in my metatarsal nowhere near the broken bone. I gotta go back to work. Hoping I'll get better in another 20 days enough to resume light walking without crutches.

• Posted

Are you going to physical therapy? I had the same pain, along with other hot spots in my foo, like the Achilles and the top of my foot. My PT said that its from non use and that's important to do the exercises they tell you to do. If you have a lot of swelling it seems to make it worse. I was advised by my GP to start wearing compression stockings and massage my foot and leg in an upward motion (along with RICE) to help get the swelling down. It made a huge difference with the swelling and walking on the outer edge of my foot got much easier.  Once that improves you will not have the fear of going back to work. I start work today and 6 days ago I was sure I would not be ready. I am now "walking" with a cane and plan to wear my ugly stockings all day, take a mid day break to elevate and ice for about 20 minutes. I can hold the discomfort in check with Tylenol, but at the end of the day I take a tramadol. 

Oh, also if you have access to a swimming pool you can walk in it and it helps to stretch out those tendons on the bottom of your foot. 

• Posted

I also have the same problem; I also had Ankle Reconstruction surgery, and have a little pain in other site of ankle but really awful pain in metatarsals area and also knee!

It’s the end of week 14, I think week 15, and these awful pains are with me. I wish me didn’t surgery that soon... I feel worse now.

• Posted

Can you message me the FB group info? Just found this thread. I fractured my right tib and fib skiing on 3/16 and had surgery to put in a rod, plates, and screws on 3/17. Had a hard cast for 3 weeks, been in a walker boot since then but stil no weight bearing, trying to get a feel for the recovery process (like when will I be able to drive again, etc). I had (surprisingly) no soft tissue damage in my ankle or knee, so feeling hopeful and eager for PT! 
    • Posted

Hi Lucy

did you get any answers to your questions ie driving

• Posted

Hi

I saw your comment re driving but don't know how far along you are with weight bearing. My gp approved driving after I'd been weight bearing for a couple of weeks but only with automatic car while in a boot so it can't get stuck on pedals. (I broke tib and fib, plate, 11 screws and some wires). My boot is off and have an ankle brace but still too weak for manual car. GP is best to discuss with. I'm now 11 weeks post surgery but ortho surgeon wants me back to remove wires as hindering my recovery.

• Posted

Hi lidia - am 8.5 wks post surgery - 3.5 wks in aircast boot - 2 wk touch bearing and coming up 2 part bearing. Physio again tue and hope to fully weight bear but think will be a while before can slam clutch down in emergency stop x
    • Posted

I'm hoping the removal of the wire will help - I can do up and down movement pretty well (albeit without much strength) but barely any side to side movement. And to think I used to laugh at people who bought automatic cars before - lesson learned the hard way haha!
  • Posted

I had surgery 16/2/16 for tibea and fibula break from day prior (11 screws, 1 plate and a mash up of wires holding everything together).

I was supposed to be in cast for 6 weeks but went back to surgeon after 5 weeks due to pain. He put me in a boot for 2 more weeks non weight bearing.

At 6 weeks I called to book into physio. The awfully rude nurse said 'do you have crutches and a boot? Well then just walk and stop if it hurts'. No idea of what percentage of weight I could use or anything useful at all. Oh, and 'buy a resistance band, sit on the couch an exercise with it' - um how??

I ended up going to my gp at the 8 week mark with more pain. He sent me for more xrays and said initial breaks looked ok, but I had stress fractures from trying to walk and a slight misalignment that may take up to 3 more months to heal!

I have tried 2 boots that have made my wounds swell more and cause such pain and disfunction that I finally bought myself an ankle brace to use with my cane - still have pain but nothing like before.

My gp finally got me into physio. Physio initially said do these exercises and you won't be long off the exercise bike. Then by then end of the conversation,she did a 180 and said, no don't do any exercise till you see the surgeon at your final appointment. And she had the gall to say I shouldn't google this or look for threads - this is the only way I'm staying sane, knowing so many other people are going through the same thing!

But I need to finish on a positive - how good is it when you finally get to carry your own cup of tea?!?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.