6 Weeks Post Ankle Surgery...need help!!!

Posted , 137 users are following.

Hello:

I had surgery 3/2/15 for a fracture of the left tib/fib and spiral fracture of the ankle.  I had a rod inserted and 7 screws.  For 6 weeks I was non weight bearing, but 3 days ago I was told I could start partial weight bearing.  I need some guidance if anyone is out there.  First, it is normal to feel the pins and needles on the bottom of the foot and how long does that normally last?  Am I doing any additional damage to the foot if this tingling i continuing?  And also, I noticed today my ankle/foot/toes is very swollen.  I am elevating the foot now and have an ice pack on it.  Is this also common and any recommendations on how to help this?  Thank you so much for your help.  Any would be greatly appreciated.  I am just at a loss, beginning to get depressed and just want to finally hear that I will walk again and soon!! Thank you. Danielle

5 likes, 446 replies

446 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I broke my tib and had cast for 3 weeks then went back for ligament reconstruction in the ankle with a few pins and screws and during the surgery they fractured my leg in another place accidentally. I've been told 3 months in a cast non weight bearing. It seems like eternity when you're an active person. Good to read the thread. It seems like forever!

• Posted

I've enjoyed reading all these posts. Broke and dislocated my ankle on 04/08/2016 after slipping down a grass bank. Its nice to know that there are other people who can offer advice and support.

• Posted

My toes are really swollen at the moment, but my break and surgery is still only recent.

• Posted

I found a group on FB! Thank you.
    • Posted

What's the group called please?

This thread has been a good read and I'm interested in other people that are recovering at the moment had my injury 13/08/16 and surgery 21/08/16.

Don't know when this non weight bearing will end!

• Posted

HI Shan630981,

I was in a car accident on 6 AUG.  A woman was on her cell phone and drove (head on) into my lane.

In braking my right Tibia pushed forward and came up through the top of my foot - plus my heel fractured.  I was on NWB for six weeks and just started walking with either tennis shoes (inside house) or with black boot outside of house.  I cannot drive for another 6 weeks.

The first part of the recuperation (after an initial 3 day stay in Shock Trauma) was the hardest but things did get better.  I had an external fixator (photo below) that was on for three weeks and slept on my couch (not a fold out couch) this first month - taking sponge baths in our powder room and depending on my husband for about everything.

Things do get better so hang on and continue to write everything in our group here.

Best,

Mary

• Posted

Thanks for replying to me. Your accident sounds nasty sad I didn't have to have an external fixator, I was pretty glad about that, yours looks scary!

After your 6 weeks nwb have you just gone to fully weight bearing again?

Do you work or anything? What's getting to me is that I don't know when I'm going to be able to go back, as my job is active,

Thanks x

• Posted

After 6 weeks I did go to full weight bearing again.  Happy surprise for me!  I am really, really careful though.  Especially on the stairs and going in/out doorways to the outside.  

I have a desk job and have been able to do about 10% at home.  I would love to go back to work regularly but can't drive.  On Tuesday I am going to try UBER.

I believe is a nurse in our group who was going back to work fairly shortly and that person will hopefully see your post.  

This type of injury is really scary but it DOES get better.  I never dreamed I would be off of work 2 months......ever.

• Posted

Invoke my ankle badly. First had to have an external fixator. I don't have to tell you how horrible this is. Now have had the surgery on April 26. I am praying I will be able to go to Israel on a planned special trip. I will have family help and not have to do that much with touring. Can't put weight on foot yet. I am hoping I will be able to manage this. The whole thing has been really difficult. I know you know. Any tips.

• Posted

Hi Mary! I'm curious to know what that little tube is all about that is attached to your foot. I have an external fixation device and I dont have that.

• Posted

Did you have to be sedated when they removed that fixation device? 
  • Posted

Hi, Danielle. I will be 9 weeks tomorrow from trimal fracture ORIF surgery. This is common. Currently FWB in shoes with cane. I had the pins and needles when went . Now I don"t have that, but some soreness and swelling. Wearing compression stocking per doctor for swelling. Seeing PT tomorrow for evaluation. n

• Posted

Oh I know how you feel! I'm 3.5 weeks post op plate and screws fibula plus bolt fibula to tibia and I'm nwb another 3 weeks. I have wheelchair and crutches and I am depressed and frustrated. This forum is saving my sanity and giving me hope! I'm 57 and in Alaska though I'm a Brit. I've lost faith in my own body...I'm scared of the length of recovery if there is hope of 100% recovery? I used to love hiking...I'm a very active person...was. I'm hearing 'do your Physiotherapy exercises' from others comments! Thank you for all the other posts, good luck to you all and please let me have the FB group page? Thank you!!

Jill

• Posted

Hi I had an ORIF a plate and 5 screws to my fubula and 2 screws to my ankle. I have had muscular dystrophy for 20 years and struggled to walk before my sugery, so having surgery on the weakest part of my body was terrifying. On to of that the surgery was performed in France as I was on holiday when I had the fall.

However after saying all of that I am near the end of my recovery. I was in a cast for 7 weeks then a ski boot for 6 weeks and have only been fully weight bearing since last Friday.

I originally thought that I wouldn't walk again because of the damage but now with the ski boot I can walk a little distance and stand unaided.

I can totally understand where you are coming from I have had lots of tears and so much frustration during this time but you will come through it. Just try to stay positive and you must do the exercises given. My physio said if you don't use it you loose it. It's a good motto.

Good luck and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery

• Posted

Thank you Julie! I'm so happy you are mobile again and really appreciate your message. I will take your advice and push through the Physiotherapy when I get to that point, I hope that you continue to improve!

Warmest regards!

Jill

• Posted

I am glad to find someone who has had lots of tears. I cry every day. Sometimes I feel okay but. I had first an external fixator then surgery on April 26. The break was bad but the thing is I want to go on this family trip to Israel on June 14. Will I make it or not. I can't put weight on yet. I think if I can I will be able to make it. I don't have to do much when I get there but need to be able to bathe and dress etc. I don't have a partner but grown kids will be there. This has been so difficult not to mention painful.

• Posted

I am sorry you have been having such a rough time of it.  It does get better.  I would go on your trip if I were you.  The airlines these days are very accomodating if you let them know in advance that you will need assistance.  They will have a wheelchair ready for you to take you to your gate and, if needed up to the plane.  In most airlines, you are allowed to check a wheel chair and it won't count against your luggage.  Check with the airline to be sure.  To avoid blood clots on such a long flight, it is a good idea to wear comprssion socks on the BA.  Also, remember to get up occationally to keep circulation going.  Hopefully by then you won't have as much swelling.  Once you are in Isreal, relax and let your kids help you out.  I hope that your recovery goes well.  People do not realize how hard and long a process this is until it happens to them.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.